Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing a little encouragement

So I've been having a down day or two. I'm just shy of 4 weeks post-op from the SADI/SIPS and I've plateaued for the past two weeks. Which I can live with although it is a bit disappointing. The harder part is my energy levels, I can't seem to get through a day without needing a nap around 1. When I skip taking a nap I'm so exhausted by the time 7 pm rolls around I'm ready to crash which doesn't work with a kindergartner and a 2.5 year old. I go back to work tomorrow (mostly sedentary) but, I'm not looking forward to the mid-day tiredness that will follow. The tiredness is really making me an emotional mess. I was expecting hoping by this time I'd have all this extra energy and going outside to play with the kids and doing lot of things. I know everyone is different, and other than tiredness I really had no real bouts of nausea or pain since leaving the hospital.

I've also been struggling with getting in my Protein and Water. I usually manage about 48 oz Water but only about 50-60 grams of Protein. The past couple of days has been very hard because absolutely nothing looks or sounds appetizing. You know that feeling when you have a pantry and a fridge full of food but you stare into it for a long time close the door and look again, yeah, that's me. I can't even imagine anything sweet or savory that sounds remotely good to eat. Is this a phase? I try to force down Protein shakes to up the protein but I'm really having problems drinking them now too. What do you do when you really don't want to eat anything? I feel like pre-surgery I obsessed over foods, I ate when I was happy, sad, angry, bored, etc...I even resorted to sneaking food so no one knew how much I was eating. Now, I obsess over it, but in a totally different way. Now it is I need to eat xx grams of protein every so many hours.

I know it will get better, I know the weight will come off and as it does my energy will come back, but there is nagging very impatient voice that keeps telling me I'm doing it wrong and it should be faster.

Any advice is welcome...hanging in there.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Shell

I have to remind you that you did just have major surgery. You need to be a little easier on yourself.

In terms of the weight loss, you body is likely in starvation mode fighting the weight loss. I promise if you stick to the plan it will work itself out and the pounds will start to drop off again.

You are not doing too bad on Water and Protein but if you could get some more in, it would give you more of the energy that you are looking for.

I also think that going back to work might just be what you need to get past the afternoon sleepy time. I remember going through that and You just have to build your stamina up again. but it will be very important for you to focus on your liquids and Protein while at work.

I wish you the best of luck!

I remember being disappointed that I was still so tired at 4 weeks out. But as mentioned above, this is major surgery and the body is adjusting and healing a lot!! Try to be nice to yourself and get extra rest as much as you can. You will feel a little stronger every week and the energy that you are hoping for is just a few more weeks away.

Good luck!

Believe it or not, I'm kinds in a similar spot, and I'm almost 5 months out. In a stall, for the last 2 weeks, lacking proper energy, not finding anything appetizing because I'm just tired of it all, right now. I will prevail, just a little setback. I know I have done too many carbs the last couple of days, I really think the coffee 2 days in a row sent me into a tizzy about hunger. And carbs ALWAYS make me sleepy, less energetic, and they tend to feed off each other. Now I have to pull myself back off that track, onto my better path. Not easy, not at all.

Just know you're not facing this stuff alone, it will always come and go with us, it seems. But having all the encouragement and support of these folks really helps, REALLY, it DOES! Let us hang tight together!

Yep - I was there just after the sleeve; I can't imagine having to deal with malabsorption on top of it. Are you taking the Vitamins - being monitored for deficiencies? Protein, Essential Fatty Acids, Iron, B6, B12 are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head that will make you feel like a train hit... especially recovering from surgery and blood loss.

I like the pink lemonade concentrate from HealthSmart at http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/cold-drinks/healthsmart-liquid-concentrate-pink-lemonade-7-box.html

It is liquid, so it doesn't hang out - and it's low calorie Protein. It's not terribly sweet, especially if you add a little more Water - and I have to drink the Water anyway. At the same time, Premier Protein's ready to drink chocolate has almost all my Vitamins for the day in two of them... so they're useful to me, too.

I didn't feel *GOOD* till a solid 6 weeks after surgery.

Hi Shell, you're doing great -- I think post-op blues are very common. All the hype of preparing for surgery and getting through it is over, and there can be a let-down afterward. You have two little ones -- I'm exhausted just thinking about those ages. So cute and I miss it so (all grown up now) but oh my god. I'd be exhausted even without the surgery! You are going to be able to enjoy everything so much more now that you are choosing yourself and your healthy future first. Every one else will benefit, but YOU are first right now. Pat yourself on the back and let yourself know how amazing you are. Your body is changing and adjusting. Isn't it great having the appetite monster off your back? Everything will balance out in time. I'm a bander and know nothing about your surgery but I often can't really do a Protein Shake either. And I don't believe in starvation mode, etc. -- I have been saving up for the famine and my body knows what to do now. It will all work out -- it's only been a month. Here's to spring and new beginnings!

@@Elizabeth21 and @@Djmohr Thank you. I do need to keep reminding myself. I keep comparing my recovery to my C-Sections and then have to remind myself that this was a completely different surgery and my body was re-wired. I also really need to stop comparing myself to other people's stories. That seems to be much easier said than done. I'm back at work today (shh...taking a quick break before staff meeting). I'll check in this afternoon with a drowsiness report. :P

@@CanyonBaby I know I've read about the stalls that happen throughout the entire process, I guess I wasn't expecting it so soon? I know it really has no choice but to eventually come off (unless I do dumb things), which is why I'm okay with it. The only carbs I've incorporated was two ritz crackers with my tuna salad (which crackers and toast are allowed). I just needed a little crunch and raw veggies are still a no no so my normal adding in of carrots and celery make my tuna kinda like mush. :mellow: But I will definitely beware of them in the future, not to mention I already have a hard enough time fitting in the 80-100g of Protein I require without adding in extras!

@scstxrn My next appt and blood work is on the 11th so I will know better then. As of this past week I've finally got my Vitamin schedule down. I learned I had to set alarms on my phone to keep me straight. I will need to check out the lemonade that is one I haven't tried. I've been drinking Premier Protein since pre-op but I think I'm am burned out on it. I do best when I make my own smooties using a protien powder or shakeology, fruit, yogurt and milk, but lately even that hasn't tasted very good. I've been thinking about making popcicles out of the Isopure drinks to see if that works. It is HOT here in Florida already.

@Bandista Thank you so much. I did this for my kids, I want to be able to play and keep up with them d not sit on the sidelines and of course to be there for them when they are grown as well. Oh and I also want to get my butt back on my other passion - horses and rollercoasters. Here's to better days! :D

@@ShellMilliner, crackers work well at this stage for a vehicle to chicken salad, tuna salad and cheese. The reason it works is because you cannot eat very much at all. 2 or 3 crackers and you are full. I always made sure that I would put a lot of Protein on those crackers so I would not eat more of them.

I still prefer crackers over bread of any kind. Bread simply wastes space in my stomach and does not keep me satisfied for long. Now, I just have to make sure that I pile them high with Protein and don't eat more than I should. I will usually limit myself to no more than 5 and if I do well with protein, I am full by the time I get to that fifth cracker. I am 7 months post op.

Hey, of the dozens of times I've posted this message, I think this is the first time that I'm posting it for a duodenal switch patient -- and it's originally from a DS forum. Cool! Check out the link, and good luck.....

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the pounds will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

@Rogofulm Thank you, this gave me a big smile. :D

I was extremely exhausted but i would eat a little something and i would pep up. I'm almost 3 months out and my doctor put me on extra B12 because my b12 was low which explains why I was tired all of the time.

I wanted to just send a quick thank you to everyone for their wise words and support. Last week was my first full week back at work and it went much better than I thought. I think being kept busy made all the difference. Yes, i did get tired toward the end of the week, but really who doesn't? I'm getting better with getting the Protein in, though my go-to Premier Protein pre-mixed has not been my friend lately, it seems to start turning my stomach about 3/4 through so that's when I call it done. And I've finally almost reached the 64 oz of Water. I'm hitting about 52-56 now. Amazing how just over a month ago I would drink 128 oz (sometimes more) without thinking about it.

Each day is different than the last, some better than others but I'm learning to take it all in stride. I've also told myself if I don't reach my goals one day it is okay and I'll work harder the next.

Thank you all again!

Shell

You can do it. There is no question about it. I have had my ups and downs also. I also was drinking premier Protein which caused me major issues since I am now lactose intolerant. There are some egg-based Protein drinks out there and I would suggest trying those. Good luck and keep on keeping on.