Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow! Any Words of Wisdom?

A long road but the day is just about here. I'm having my surgery tomorrow morning at 10:30am. Any advice or words of wisdom? I'm just plain scared. One of the things my doctor asks is that his patients walk into the operating room - for some reason this just freaks me out. Has anyone else had to do this? I have a lot of faith in my doctor and know this is the right procedure for me.

Originally I was going to do this surgery in late August so basically I ewnt from having 4 months to prepare to less than 4 weeks. I'm just looking forward to getting on the other side of this, going home & healing.

Please keep good thoughts for me and as always any and all advice very welcome. Thanks.

Good Luck!!!! I know things will work out fine and you'll be on the way to a smaller you in days!

@@debbie813 I just had my surgery last Thursday. My advice is to stop being nervous. These surgeons have this procedure down! I went in on surgery day, barely got my clothes off, a gown on, and IV in, before they said....we're bumping you up, can't IV 2 ladies, so you;re next. Next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. I truly believe attitude is everything. When I went in I was not worried, and I had every faith in my surgeon. My pain level never got above a 6. Since I've been home, I've followed my food plan, been walking on the treadmill, etc. I am one of the lucky ones, but so can you be. Wishing you all the best, and a swift and nearly painless recovery!

Walking into the OR is empowering because it is you clearly taking the situation by the horns and handling business. I did not know they generally knock you out on valium or some form of sedative before they wheel you into the OR for this surgery or my first plastics procedure, but my last two plastics surgeries I insisted on being fully non-drugged when they put me to sleep. Generally they don't make you walk because they have to have the bed with you and roll your IV, EKG leads, and monitor with you and it's more hassle than it's worth, but I say enjoy the experience. You know how you walked down the aisle at your wedding? Ready for a whole new life? Look at this situation exactly like this. Get your head up, march your butt into that OR, and own it.

Also, the drugs they give you to knock you out are about 10 seconds of the best high ever. This way you get to enjoy that too. :)

@@AvaFern Indeed!! the BEST drugs EVER!! And they sent me home with two bottles of some awesome pain relief. I am being kept VERY comfortable and happy!! I just cant say enough good things about my experience.

Be nice to yourself and be your own advocate!! You are the customer!! If you are uncomfortable or in pain, insist on getting the appropriate medication/treatment. Once you are able, sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk. And then rest, rest, rest!! Let your body heal. You've got this.

Good luck!

Very happy for you! I would say not to fret over the aches and gas pains right after. They will pass and every day gets better. Things will happen fast from here on out.

I had my VSG on a Tuesday and started a new job on Monday, you will be up and around in no time.

Get a plan and listen to your body and focus on your Protein.

You're doing the right thing!

You will be fine.

One thing that helped me was that I made a commitment to myself to do everything I was asked to do. They truly have your best interests at heart in seeing that you have the best outcome.

I am having my surgery as well in the morning. The posts on here are so helpful. I am ready for the next step. Good luck. I am having gastric sleeve.

Edited by conlaura

Good luck, see you on the slim side. It will be ok.

I will be having mine Friday. I will be leaving out Thursday and I am very excited and terrified all at the same time. The closer it gets the more my nerves are on edge

I walked into the operating room too. I remember the assistant talking to me and I was about to ask him if the stuff he was putting in my IV was the same stuff that killed Michael Jackson. I got as far as saying Hey is that....then I drifted off and woke up with a whole new life. I didn't recognize it as such at that moment but it was.

You are about to get a new life as well. You'll do great! Best of luck to you and try not to worry. It's all gonna be ok.

Mine is tomorrow also I am having the sleeve done. I wish you blessing and a fast recovery. If the surgery is what everyone says I think we are very lucky to be able to get it done. These post are so motivating .

Good Luck :)

I'm having my surgery tomorrow too! Good luck to everyone! I'm looking forward to this next chapter in my life and reclaiming me! As I did laundry today, all I could think of was I don't need these clothes anymore and how weird it will be not to shop in the Women's dept anymore! How single digit clothes will be my new norm. I was also thinking of what NSV goals I want to set for myself...having a hard time with that one. I haven't let my weight or joint pain stop me (last year I climbed both a waterfall and an inactive volcano). My new motto is "be fearless and fear less!" We've got this!!