Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Observations on having band removed.

Hi All, Last week I had my band removed in preparation for getting my sleeve in a few months! I have had my band for seven years. The last three years I did not find good restriction and gained a ton of weight. I assumed that meant that my band wasn't working whatsoever to help curb hunger or restrict food intake. After recovering from anesthesia my hunger returned with a vengeance that I hadn't felt in years! I was surprised and forgot about this…. another observation is that after having my kids 3 years ago I became a sweets person. This past week, while I am very hungry, I have gone back to my pre band habit (already) of eating larger quantities of non-sweet food and not eating so much sweets. FYI - I was very successful with the band losing over 100lbs before the problems started.

I wish you the best on your journey.

I also had my band removed in Jan and a sleeve done at the some time. I had lots of problems with the band, slips, constant pain, had it redone, etc.

I love my sleeve. For me it is so much easier and less painful (after recovery) than the lap band. I'm still new at the sleeve but I don't get hungry and just a little food is all I need or want. Even with the band I wanted more food.< /p>

Hang in there!

I had about 10 weeks between my band removal and sleeve surgery. I was incredibly hungry. It removed any doubts I had about needing the sleeve.

Well this does make me even more worried about the weight gain during those three waiting months till I get the sleeve. Removal May 11 and Sleeve August 3rd. I already feel like a house since I gained 30 lbs after removing Fluid from the band in hopes of not throwing up...alas I still vomit multiple times a day. I just want august to be here already.

Well this does make me even more worried about the weight gain during those three waiting months till I get the sleeve. Removal May 11 and Sleeve August 3rd. I already feel like a house since I gained 30 lbs after removing Fluid from the band in hopes of not throwing up...alas I still vomit multiple times a day. I just want august to be here already.

Is there a reason they won't do the sleeve at the same time? Mine is being done at the same time...curious

My surgeon does a ton of revisions and is at a "center of excellence". He told me that the band removal is extremely low risk out patient. The sleeve is relatively low risk like .1%. If you do both together the risk doubled to like .2% and although is still low he doesn't like to increase on a very low risk procedure even slightly. I am ok with this and agree. I have 2 very young children at home who depend on me and want the most conservative plan. Also I think the band removal is the most painful part and it is nice to separate out the painful from the nausea/restriction issues.

Obviously you know your surgeon and trust his judgment. I'm not trying to question your doc.

BUT........My understanding is that generally just having any sugery and going under anethesia is often the most dangerous part of any surgery. So two surgeries with recovery would be a much higher risk that just one.

For me, there was no way I was going to have my band removed, then recover and then do the sleeve. Two surgeries, two periods to recover. I had already had 2 band surgeries because of a slip. Every time they go into the stomach for surgery, scar tissue is developed and it makes it harder to have additional surgeries.

My Doc said he used to do the revision in 2 surgeries but then it seemed much harder on the patients so now if at all possible, he does it in one.

Just another side to the story. Doctors only practice and do it their way.

I am glad you had the surgery the way you wanted it and it looks like you have had great success!

Just to clarify - I didn't think the risk was "high" with the all-in-one procedure only slightly higher than with a 2-part.

Also, although I am very eager to get my sleeve I liked recovering completely from the band removal first because the port removal hurts! - as you know!

I have had MANY surgeries and I don't think that the risk of anesthesia in an otherwise healthy patient is not very high. Perhaps I am mistaken about that but I wanted to respond with that so as not to scare people out there!

The risk with the sleeve as I understand it is primarily a leak (if you look at the data). At the risk is not very high if people follow the surgeon's directions. There is a very very small increase in risk of leak because of scar tissue which I wanted to avoid. I guess I am risk adverse!

You know before my sleeve surgery I didn't know that the port removal was painful but NOW yes I do know. That area where they pulled the port out really hurt for a long time. Much longer than my other incisions.

I get the risk aversion and totally understand. In the past I have had problems with anesthesia. They have to give me less because I go under so hard. They did give me too much for my sleeve and it took me hours to wake up.

It is good that we can find the Doc that suits us best. And the recovery is so different for each person. At almost 4 months out I still have to be carful what I eat where I know of other sleevers who ate almost anything 6 weeks out. Not me.

Best wishes to you.

Thank you! Anxiously awaiting my date. Hopefully will find out at my next appointment in May! Hoping for mid - late june but would be ok with very early July. Do you have kids? How did you do with the recovery taking care of them if you do?

It dramatically reduces the complication risks by doing it in two operations. It gives your body time to heal in between. My surgeon would not consider doing it in one and he has a great success rate. He has had patients not take his advice and go to a different surgeon to have it done in one surgery and they had major complications. SO despite not wanting to wait for 3 months I think my life is actually worth taking his advise and reducing the risks and complications.

Is there a reason they won't do the sleeve at the same time? Mine is being done at the same time...curious

Mine was done at the same time. My recovery went very smooth

My surgeon explained to me that if possible he tries to do the removal and sleeve in one procedure, but if the scar tissue is too severe, he does it in two. Complications (leaks) arise more frequently when there is scar tissue, so he doesn't take the risk. That being said, he never knows what the scar tissue situation will be until he actually cuts into the patient; even people with no Band complications can still have scar tissue that should be allowed to heal before sleeve. When I asked him which people most commonly had to have their surgeries done separately, he said often they were the ones with complications like erosion, band slips and the like that had given them lots of pain and distress.