Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slimes for 5 hours? What the ?!?!

I'm on a kindle, so I can't see what I am typing. For this reason, I have to type my post as a response. Please wait a few minutes.

I need some insight into what may have caused my sliming and vomiting for an agonizing 5 hours last night.

First off, I am 6 months post op and have never experienced anything close to this before. I had some sliming/vomiting after eating fresh kale a few months back, but it was brief and mild.

I started the day yesterday with a Protein shake and three ounces of tuna at lunch. It may be helpful to mention that I had a terribly stressful day at work. Due to an extreme shortage in teachers, I had to take over some classes at the inner city high school. Some of the classes had over 50 students (band/chorus) and there were no lesson plans left. Plus, the computer/DVD player did not work. Add to that the fact that I have never worked with high school students before. It never occurred to me that students would actually try to escape class once my back was turned or make up a song about my ass.

Once I got home, I was overly tired and stressed. Not only was I hungry (it was 6 hours since I had the tuna at lunch), but I was also craving something sweet. I don't normally consume sugar, so I decided to eat butterscotch (sugar free/fat free) pudding with skim milk. Yes, I know it is packed with preservatives and wasn't the most healthy choice, but it was what I had on hand. This wasn't a new food because I usually consume it with no problems a few times a month. It was eaten over a 30 minute period.

I started getting a severe stomachache along with sliming, burping, and belching 30 minutes later. The belching would bring up some of the pudding along with thick mucus and saliva. Whatever I tried I could not get myself to vomit. This went on for 5 hours! I didn't want to take an antacid or stomach reliever because I didn't think I could keep it down.

I continued to pace my home past bedtime and finally decided to take a PPI. If that didn't work, I considered going to the ER because it felt like something more serious than a stomachache was going on. Finally, I threw myself over the back of a chair and vomited the rest of the pudding. It was until then that I felt some relief.

I guess I'm mystified over why pudding would cause such severe indigestion or stomach distress. I'mactually

Sorry, I accidentally hit reply before I was finished. I was trying to say that I am afraid to eat today.

pudding does that to me too as well as a number of other foods and I notice it is a lot more likely to happen if I eat it on an empty stomach. I like the sugar free/ fat free caramel version or pudding...or I used to until it decided to hate me. There is something about milk fats, real sugar, fake sugar, oils, fats from butter, fried stuff, and 90% of food that tastes good that my sleeve doesn't like. I have found that I can generally guess when something is going to make me sick, so I avoid it, and pudding is on that list. I also know that I can spend hours feeling miserable, or I can just puke it up, get it over with, and try to eat something later to make up for it. Generally my stomach is so intolerant of certain things that once I start to feel a little sick, I can walk into the bathroom, hang my head over the toilet, open my mouth, and it all comes spewing right back out Exorcist style- no finger down the throat disgustingness required. I almost immediately feel better.

In the future, if you want to try the pudding and milk again, maybe consider eating it when you aren't stressed out and when you aren't eating it on an empty stomach. My stomach is way pickier if it is empty than if it I have something that might make me sick after I've had a few pretzels or crackers.

On another note, I snuck out of class in high school, but I would never have made up a song about anyone's butt- what a bunch of little sh*ts!

Did you check that the milk hadn't spoiled? It seems to me these days things like that are spoiling ALOT quicker than they used to (or is it that I'm just not going through it fast enough?!). Also, how much of the pudding did you eat? It is a pretty heavy substance, and when it hits the sleeve, it might have been taken by your sleeve as someone just threw a bucket of mud on it...it may not take too kindly to that!!! Maybe just have lighter things today, broths, gelatins, sf popsicles, just to give it that tender-loving-care thing. Til your feeling better. Good luck to you!

Sorry for the late response on this. It turned out the milk was not bad. It had more to do with extreme stress, eating too fast, and an empty stomach. It's interesting to note that I haven't slimed since this episode three month ago. I can tolerate more foods at nine months out and can eat more at one sitting. That is really not a good thing, actually. I've just had to make sure all my food choices are smart in case I eat a larger than normal quantity.

I'm ten months out and have yet to have pudding so I'm clueless there.

I can say, though.....that job stress can absolutely cause issues......lots of them. Job stress combined with you seeing yourself succumb to a "comfort food" may have been the catalyst that caused the sliming.