Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Completely devastated and disappointed

After years of trying everything else, I really believed that gastric bypass would work for me. I completed the 6 months of required classes,testing, counseling, referrals, etc. . and had bypass surgery on January 15, 2015. I have followed the plan and instructions (pre-op diet, post op diet; liquids only, Protein shakes, soft foods etc.) I was given, but in the 3 months since surgery have only lost 20 pounds. I walk 2 miles a day, and do 25 minutes of weights, 5 days a week. I have not lost any weight at all in the last 4 weeks. I had my 3 month post-op appointment today and my surgeon told me I am "ruining his track record" because I have not achieved the weight loss I should have and that I must not be following the program at all. I can not eat much, but eat my Protein first, very little carbs or sugars, my A1C has gone from 10.6 to 5.3 even while I have reduced my insulin by 2/3. However, I have not met the weight loss goals set by my surgeon or insurance. I am completely at a loss as to what to do! Why is this not working for me?!

I've heard some people try to "reset" by doing a liquid diet for maybe a few days. Try searching 5/2 diet. I think that's what it's called. I know I've read about it on here. How many calories do you get? Try using my fitness pal to keep track of everything. It helps. Also maybe add a cardio workout. I love doing Richard simmons sweatin to the oldies, I know it's old school but it's what works for me. Good luck!!!

I looked it up & it's called "5 day pouch test" not 5/2 diet.

WHat specifically are you eating? Can you share your food journal entries here? ANd how much of each? Maybe you aren't getting enough Protein in yet, it's hard to say with so little info.

Sounds like your surgeon was very insensitive! How much wt. are you lifting? If you're developing muscle, that weighs more than fat and might be PART of the number on the scale. Do you look or feel smaller? Are your clothes fitting differently? Does your surgeon hae a nutritionist you can talk to?? How much are "very little carbs"? It's frustrating but don't give up. Stay on the program; stay OFF the scale for a bit; increase water; talk to nutritionist. Celebrate the improvement in your diabetes!! Good luck.

It sounds too soon to be adding carbs? I can't remember when I was allowed to add those but I can tell you that when I did the weight loss slowed down for sure! And it is so easy to have carbs sneak back in and be a problem again. I'm not allowed over 100 grams of carbs/day. I didn't realize, this also includes fruits. When did fruits become classified as carbs??!! lol

Keep track of how many grams of each (protein/carbs/fats) you are having. In fact, make sure to log it in your journal but you also may want to take a pic of each meal to find out if your portions are correct.

Best of luck!

You are right, it seems like it should be more. Medications can interfere with weight loss process. Protein shakes do contain calories. Your Protein requirements is the combination of the protein obtained through meals combined with the protein obtained through supplements (Protein Shakes, protein bars). As I increased my meal volume, I began consuming more and more protein from my meals and that allowed me to cut back on my Protein Shakes.< /p>

Try the 5 day restart. It works great. DO NOT get discoraged. Do try to keep a food journel, the my fitness pal has a great one.

When I was 3 months in I was still having problems drinking. Your insulin might be slowing you down as well as other meds. A lot of meds have a weight gain in the fine print.

But infortunitly, (excuse my spelling) fruits are OUT. My Dr. won't let me hve them cause they have to much sugar. Also, no salads cause they take up to much room in your new pouch.

Give the 5 day restart a try, try the myfitnesspal.

Keep up with updates for more support.

GOOD LUCK!

Your surgeon needs a refresher course in sensitivity. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to be following the program and then get accused of blowing it. Don't let him get you down. Your body will release the weight when you figure out what's holding you back. Just approach this logically and methodically. Try to rule out each possible culprit by weighing, measuring and logging your food intake. Keep an exercise journal (or just use MyFitnessPal). Check the lists of side effects on all your medications. Then take all this information to your doctor and/or nutritionist and ask them to evaluate it.

Where do you find this fitness pal thing? I just have a computer; no fancy phone.

You can use it on your computer: www.myfitnesspal.com

Thank you all very much for your advice, help and encouragement!!

I drink at least 75 ounces of Water each day, eat 600 - 700 calories, including my 60 - 70 gm. of Protein.

Breakfast is: 1/2 cup nf cottage cheese with 1/4 cup of apple slices, or 4 oz. ff Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup berries,

or 2 egg whites with 1 oz low fat cheese, or 1/2 cup of Cream of Wheat with 1/2 scoop of Protein Powder.

snack is an 8 oz. Protein shake.

lunch is: 2 oz. grilled chicken with 1/2 cup of Soup, or 1/2 cup of carrots or cucumbers, or 2 oz. of turkey with 1/2 cup of veggies, or 1/2 cup of lentil or veggie Soup with 1 oz. of lf cheese, or ff Greek yogurt with veggies.

dinner is: 2 oz. grilled chicken with 1/2 cup veggies, or 2 oz. grilled or broiled fish with veggies, or 2 oz. tuna with veggies, or 2 oz. turkey with veggies.

I don't usually have fruit due to the sugar content. The carbs I get are those that are in the Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Cream of Wheat or Protein Shakes.

I am going to try the 5 day pouch test and see how that goes.

The only good thing my doctor had to say was about my A1C going down. Size wise I have gone down from a size 24 or a 2X, to size 18 or XL. Which I am very happy about, even though my doctor said "only pounds count." But clothing size counts to me, even if it doesn't to him!

I am going to try very hard to stay positive!! I am also going to keep walking and jogging. My miles are tracked by our 100 Mile Club and I have 164 miles so far.

Thank you all very much for your advice, help and encouragement!!

I drink at least 75 ounces of Water each day, eat 600 - 700 calories, including my 60 - 70 gm. of Protein.

Breakfast is: 1/2 cup nf cottage cheese with 1/4 cup of apple slices, or 4 oz. ff Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup berries,

or 2 egg whites with 1 oz low fat cheese, or 1/2 cup of Cream of Wheat with 1/2 scoop of Protein powder.

snack is an 8 oz. Protein Shake.

lunch is: 2 oz. grilled chicken with 1/2 cup of Soup, or 1/2 cup of carrots or cucumbers, or 2 oz. of turkey with 1/2 cup of veggies, or 1/2 cup of lentil or veggie soup with 1 oz. of lf cheese, or ff Greek yogurt with veggies.

dinner is: 2 oz. grilled chicken with 1/2 cup veggies, or 2 oz. grilled or broiled fish with veggies, or 2 oz. tuna with veggies, or 2 oz. turkey with veggies.

I don't usually have fruit due to the sugar content. The carbs I get are those that are in the Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Cream of Wheat or Protein Shakes.

I am going to try the 5 day pouch test and see how that goes.

The only good thing my doctor had to say was about my A1C going down. Size wise I have gone down from a size 24 or a 2X, to size 18 or XL. Which I am very happy about, even though my doctor said "only pounds count." But clothing size counts to me, even if it doesn't to him!

I am going to try very hard to stay positive!! I am also going to keep walking and jogging. My miles are tracked by our 100 Mile Club and I have 164 miles so far.

Hi sorry you had to hear that from your surgeon that was just unnecessary. MFP is pretty good and I think your diet is great overall. It's similar to what I eat actually. But we all go through what's going on moments. Sometimes our body needs more variety or it gets in a pattern of holding on to the weight. At Least that's what I'm telling myself to stay positive. ????

The Lentil soup might have a lot of Protein but I'm not sure about the carb content, might be high. Also, the same with vegetable soup high carbs. As far as fruits I had to switch up from Raspberries and Blueberries to Strawberries and small plums because my body wasn't digesting them properly after a while. I try to stay away from apples most of the time...high in sugar. Another option for fruit is kiwi and/or a 1/2 small blood orange but again in moderation. For yogurt I like the Yoplait 100 and choboni 100. For vegetables just not starchy vegetables corn or potatoes. Also if you are exercising, try getting in adequate calories if possible. It will turn around soon.