Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve 24 hours ago...? stomach/esophageal spasms

Gastric sleeve 24 hours ago. Feeling really good except unable to drink anything without a "spasm" like pain when the sip of anything reached the stomach. Is this normal? It doesn't matter what I sip...warm broth, Water, juice...everything uncomfortable. Trying too hard? worried about dehydration...

I was sleeved yesterday too. Today I'm sipping on drinks and not really having problems. I did have a horrible day yesterday and early this morning but I'm doing better now. Every time I got up to walk, I would vomit. No one talks about the real awful stuff. I was to afraid to walk. The doctor told me this morning that they also fixed a small hernia I had. Well I hope we both feel better and recover as soon as possible. Here comes a new life. Best wishes.

Try ice chips, let them melt on your tongue. Don't worry about any thing else but walking and the ice chips. Everything else will come in time. I had issues not with the pain but with the iv meds. I vomited every time it hit my blood stream. I told them I wanted no meds at all. Honestly I felt better just after my surgery than I do now one month out. I'm still very queasy and seem to have more bad days than good. I have a follow up this week so I've got to discuss it all with my doctor. You will get thru this. We all will! We are strong and we made this decision knowing it wasn't easy but what we needed to do.

Edited by kyrickchick64

That is exactly what happened to me and i consider it normal. It goes away within the first week. If you start getting acid reflux take prilosec. it is the only thing that helped me.

I had the esophagus spasms for 2 wks. I had my hernia repaired. had no issue with the stomach at all it was sipping issue. it was awful! for this reason I told my surgeon I was staying in another night to get the fluids I needed through the IV bc I knew if I went home I would end up in ER with dehydration. so I was in over 48 hrs hooked up. it helped soo much! yes I still sipped. but I was grabbing my chest with every dang sip! I ended up getting a script for liquid nova-cane. my internist gave it to me. it didn't take much and he told me to make sure I put the spoon as far back as possible then swallow I didn't need my whole mouth numb! lol..it wasn't bad at all the med but it did help. speak up if your able to stay another night do so. I did and it helped. I had taken my heating pad with me to the hospital also so I kept the heating pad on my chest on low I still had the spasms but it felt good to have the pad. I feel for ya I went through this.

I also had them for probably 10 days. My dr said it was from the stomach and esophagus being swollen..he said sometimes the swell inwards more than out wards and when you drink, they spasm. I am 18 days out with no pain, hope yours goes away quickly too.

Thanks everyone. I phoned my doctor. Picking up sublingual levsin for the spasms and phenergan in case nausea develops....hope this helps. Is better when I walk and sip Popsicles....

Thanks everyone. I phoned my doctor. Picking up sublingual levsin for the spasms and phenergan in case nausea develops....hope this helps. Is better when I walk and sip Popsicles....

how ya doing?

Little better each day. Still having spasms with just about every swallow but much less painful each day....

Hello All, I know this thread is old. I am 15 days post op. I am having the same spasms. Having a hard time drinking. I can't even drink Protein. I can't walk, I have no energy. The spasms are a little better but it makes it hard to drink Water. Any one else have them this long? I feel like I am getting dehydrated. Actually going to Hospital tomorrow for some fluids and evaluation. I thought this should be better by now. Any words of wisdom?

I'm 2 days post op, and after one night at home, this morning was awful. Things improved a little this afternoon, I have found that position when I sip helps, standing up or sitting up very straight, rathere than slouched. Odd, but it is helping me. The sublingual tablet to quell spasms may be helping too. I took one this morning, but wretched and drooled it out. I took one at 1 this afternoon, and took a nap for an hour. Since then I have been able to get 8 ounces in during the past 3.5 hours, which is double what I could do before. TAlking seems to stimulate the spasms, so my husband is glad to shush me, for my own good, lol. I am sipping chamomile tea now, and it has been the most 'enjoyable' sipping today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Also, crying is not good, all the tears and postnasal stuff doesn't help, get gentle hugs as needed. Husband hugs me from behind, so there is not pressure on my tender tummy.

I agree with Chris on the position. I have to sit or stand straight up while drinking. Whenever I lie down I have pain in the sternum area.

I'm having the same issues, kind of feels like a harsh hiccup/burp after every swallow, only 2 days post op. 7 days till I see the doctor, may have to call early.

Edited by busymom_of_3

I am three days out and I feel better than day one. The more days out I think the better it will get! Good luck everyone

Every day gets better- I had the same thing for about a week, and now at week 4 I hardly remember how hard it was.