Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post-176150-14278227767515_thumb.jpg post-176150-14278227905229_thumb.jpg post-176150-14278228127708_thumb.jpg post-176150-14278228349979_thumb.jpg post-176150-1427822854325_thumb.jpg

Female

Height: 5’ 6”

Starting Weight: 250

Starting Clothing Size: 20

Surgery Weight: 228

Surgery Clothing Size: 18

Current Weight: 140

Current Clothing Size: 4/6

In the beginning:

• I had a lot of restriction due to (I am assuming) increased swelling from the additional procedure of the hiatal hernia repair. I am comparing myself to 4 other family members who had the surgery with the same doctor and described their post-op experience as feeling sore and having the ability to drink 2-4 ounces of Fluid without difficulty. It was difficult to even consume 1 ounce. Week 1 post-op was what I called “hell week.” I was very weak due to the lack of ability to consume fluids/calories and remain properly hydrated.

• The 6 week post-op diet was difficult, but I reminded myself that I ate whatever I wanted (and in copious amounts), whenever I wanted for many years.

• Once I was released to a full diet, foods did not taste the same. Some of the things I use to think of as delicious, were now bland and without flavor. I read a study that links your sense of taste to your stomach lining. However, this “lack of tasting” does go away and food eventually does taste great again (uh-oh!).

• I monitored my calorie intake. I did, however, have my ups and downs. I slipped and fell into crappy eating habits. Despite the food restriction, I found that I could slowly graze on things and that the “bad” foods tend to be the “sliders”.

• However, I constantly caught myself falling back into consuming these bad foods and I would work on redirecting my behavior. I was constantly “checking and balancing” my eating habits; trying to change my way of living.

• Exercise started with walking (1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, and as my endurance and ability increased, 4 miles in one hour). As the weight began to melt off, along with my increased endurance, I upgraded to intervals of jogging (I would jog the straight-a-ways and walk the curves at the local school track). I would also use my elliptical trainer at home and by the time I reached my 6 months post-op point, I could complete a one hour, high intensity cardio session on my trainer. Feeling great!

6 Months Out:

• As the weight began to melt off (I was weighing 167 pounds at this point!), I did have that “fallen” face look. My skin was saggy and loose. So, I decided I wanted to fill up my loose skin with muscle. Weight lifting slowly trickled its way into my weekly workouts and—at first—it was about a twice-a-week affair. I also upped my Water intake and made hydrating my face, neck and body with creams and lotions a daily and nightly ritual (as hydration helps to increase elasticity in skin; my face doesn't look fallen anymore...it takes time, but it does retract!!!).

• My ability to consume fluids and food had greatly improved by this point. I seemed to be able to consume fluid the best after a good workout. I could drink water faster and in greater quantities! I continued to monitor my calorie intake and tried by my best to refrain from eating bad foods. Even when I did succumb to eating unhealthy foods (which happened on a weekly basis), I stayed within my calorie range.

• My Protein intake was still around 60-80 grams per day. I really like the Premier Protein shakes. They come in ready to drink 11oz containers, they are only 160 calories and pack 30 grams of protein.

About 12 Months Out:

• 153 pounds; size 10

• By this time I was lifting about 3x per week at home. I began to notice my skin firming up around the muscles I was developing. At this time I began taking pre-workout supplements (NO-Xplode), post workout supplements (Cell Mass) and I upped my protein (100-120 grams per day). My goal with the supplements was to create longer workout endurance, quicker muscle recovery repair. I knew that the more muscle I had, the more my calories my body would burn due, as well as a better a metabolism. Even though I wasn’t really dropping that much weight at this time, my waist size started to go down with the increased muscle mass.

• A little after the 12 month mark, I went down another 3 pounds, but I also went down an entire size! Typically, before the weight lifting, I would see a size drop about every 20 pounds. So, this was awesome!

• Still working on eating clean at this point. I probably ate clean about 80-85% of the time. Weekends were a killer for me! It was hard with the weekends off, kids at home, and being out and about. No routine!

Now, 22 Months Out:

• 140 pounds

• Size 4-6 misses

• I eat clean foods 90-95% of the time. “Dirty” foods tend to make me sick now.

• I have one cheat day, and I still limit myself and stay within my calorie range

• I consume 150-170 grams of protein (still drinking the Premier Protein)

• 1800-2000 calories on my cardio days (twice a week)

• 2200-2500 on my weight lifting days (5 days out of the week). YES…I do more weight lifting than cardio! And carbs (good carbs, not dirty carbs) are your friend!!! Key for energy retention/endurance and muscle building! I consume more on my weight lifting days. Key intake is about an hour/hour-and-a-half prior to workout.

• I still have really good restriction

• My skin around my face has firmed up! It doesn’t look fallen. I’m a high school teacher and I get mistaken for a student all the time!

• I do have some extra skin (and very little) in my upper arm area, upper thigh/groin; however, it isn’t that much! The muscle I have built really helps! The belly area has a little “apron” and—of course—the stretch marks from weight gain and 4 pregnancies make it look like a very wrinkly old grandma; but other than that, my stomach is flat! I do plan to have a Tummy Tuck this summer… so bikini here you come!

All in all, I LOVE my SLEEVE!!! I would do it all over again! They key thing—and most doctors tell you this from the get-go—you HAVE TO CHANGE LIFESTYLE for LONG-TERM SUCCESS! The weight will come off that first year, but once you’re in that maintenance mode you can easily put weight back on. Especially eating dirty foods that are higher in calories/sugars/fats. They slide through your restriction, they are full of empty calories (no nutritional value), and they will be your downfall. Does that mean you cannot enjoy a piece of cake, chips or some other dirty food? No, but you have to teach yourself to say “no” most of the time; and when you do say “yes,” limit yourself and eat in small quantities. Don’t make it a daily thing, make it a once-a-week kind-of-thing. EXERCISE! You don’t have to turn into a gym rat…in fact, you don’t have to go to a gym at all, but find some kind of active activity that you can engage in at least 3 days a weeks, for a MINIMUM of 30 minutes. It can be hard at first (grueling even), but before you know it—with consistency—your body will crave it! YES!!! Literally, your body will crave the activity! I wish all of your sleevers and soon-to-be sleevers the best of luck! I hope you find your success in this life changing journey!

Edited by NewSetOfCurves

Awesome and thanks for the great details. ????

Sorry, I know it was long! But I hope to help someone who is on the fence or struggling in the beginning of their sleeve journey! Posts like these inspired me when I first started researching.

Fantastic post, loved the details. And I love those guns you are packing! I need to add more strength training to my workout schedule.

Is it okay to eat 150-170 gram Protein over longterm?

Yes! Especially with weight training...protein is essential for muscle recovery/repair and growth! Rule of thumb: 1 gram per body weight.

Edited by NewSetOfCurves

Thanks for the details and inspiring feedback. Great pics, they really do show the hard effort you have put in and it was very inspiring for me!!

Woohoo! Congratulations!

Is it okay to eat 150-170 gram Protein over longterm?

Yes! Especially with weight training...protein is essential for muscle recovery/repair and growth! Rule of thumb: 1 gram per body weight. See the following article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21375795

But 150-170 is 2gram per kg body weight. I am concerned about going higher than 100gram per day.

But 150-170 is 2gram per kg body weight. I am concerned about going higher than 100gram per day.

Yes, but if you read carefully, it says,

"In otherwise healthy individuals, there is little evidence that high Protein intake is dangerous. However, kidney damage may be an issue for individuals with already existing kidney dysfunction. Increased Protein intake necessarily means that overall energy intake must increase or consumption of either carbohydrate or fat must decrease. In conclusion, high protein intake may be appropriate for some athletes, but there are potential negative consequences that must be carefully considered before adopting such a diet."

You should always consult a health professional. My story and my diet is based on my own personal research, education and advice from various health professionals. Good luck to you.

Amazing !!! Im proud of you :)

Thank you!!!

Woohoo! Look at those arm muscles! You look fantastic!

Woohoo! Look at those arm muscles! You look fantastic!

????????????