Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At what point do I seek out a consult?

I am only about 4.5 months post sleeve and I am one pound from my surgeon's goal and about 25 lbs from what my ultimate goal is. This skin is driving me nuts... At what point does it make sense for me to seek out a consult? I plan on having my arms, thighs, stomach, and boobs done. Right now I've still been losing 8-10 lbs per month. If I got rid of the skin, I'd be happy with where I'm currently at though.

I don't know about a consult, but my team suggests waiting at least a year before doing any plastics. If your Dr. has a long waiting list to see them, you may want to make an appointment now.

It depends on whether you plan to pay for it yourself or through insurance. Most insurance companies want at least 2 years of documented maintenance. It can be done earlier if you can document problems due to excess skin. (rash, infection, etc...).

If you plan to use insurance, thoroughly check your policy before you do anything.

I am doing Tummy Tuck and breast lift 7 months post sleeve I am less then 5 lbs from goal weight. After consulting with the surgeon I adjusted what my goal weight should be. She felt that the goal weight I set for myself based on BMI was unhealthy and not be good for me so it may be worth the visit at a least 6 months post op.

The answer to this question is an individual one based on the results you are seeking. What helped me was going on the realself website and looking at people's before and after photos. I realized I wouldn't be happy with the results I was seeking until I was as close to goal weight as possible. Even now I am at my goal weight of 150 (5'7") and I'm still focusing on loosing as much of the fat under my belly as I possibly can until its mostly skin. The more fat you can lose prior to surgery, the more skin can be stretched down and removed. For me, the surgery scars annoy me and just scream out I've had WLS. I've been told that of I can lose enough belly fat, they can stretch my skin down to remove the 2 biggest scars you can see just above my belly button. The others are faded.

I personally won't bother to get a consult until I'm ready to get the surgery. I don't want to waste the surgeon's time and the consult is only good based on what they are seeing now, so I would just have to go back again when I was actually ready to have the procedure. I have also decided to wait until next summer to have any surgery. I have been amazed how much my skin has changed already and want to give it time to adjust on its own. On average, it takes 2-3 months for skin to adjust every time you lose. If you are still losing, I would recommend waiting until your weight has stabilized. Good look with whatever you decide!

Edited by Bluesea71

Personally my surgeon has stated 12 to 18 months for plastics because after getting much lower your body needs to adjust to you atthe new weight before you surgically remove even more. Although for me, im probably only going to get away with a panniculectomy and were gonna have to show that it interferes with sex in order to qualify through insurance. any other skin will have to stay, no way to get that kind of cash or a loan since im already in a bankruptcy anyway. so ill live with it.

Thanks for all the info!

I'll be paying for it out of pocket, so it'll be a while yet anyway. I'm just not patient. LOL! I really want to get rid of these bat wings so I can start wearing short sleeves!!

You can start now. I'd get several opinions, and have that discussion with the surgeons. My doc told me there was really no more weight to lose. I was about 20 months post op and lost 140 pound, and had been at that weight about 6 months. There are guidelines about how close to goal you should be, so I'd ask the different doctors their opinions.

Hi I am looking onto plastic surgery now and I am almost 11 months post opt most insurance company want you to wait 1 year to 1 year and a half i have receive a quote already and I am 50 pounds from my goal weight. I agree with the above statements ask your RNY doctor what they suggest and then go from there. Good luck.