Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks to WLS I'm finally pregnant!

I suspected immediately when I had my first episode of morning sickness. Not long after my sense of smell went into overdrive and even walking into the produce section of Safeway was impossible from the nauseating smell of raw fish at the fish counter on the other end of the store. The next day I found myself sobbing uncontrollably at the littlest things, even when I wasn't actually sad. Just yesterday a student of mine looked at me funny while I was teaching and I found myself with tears streaming down my face.

At first I was so excited, but then I started to worry. My belly wasn't growing with a little bundle of joy inside, it was shrinking rapidly. Am I having a reverse-baby somehow? Is that even a thing? Not to mention the fact that my wife and I haven't even had sex in the 20 months since our first child was born due to some complications from an incompetent surgeon. Maybe I'm not pregnant after all.

Fortunately, my 1-month post WLS appt was late last week and I determined to asked my doctor about it. He smiled sadly and assured me that everything would be okay before he went to check my bloodwork. When he came back in, he assured me that indeed, my estrogen levels, as well as several other female-associated hormone levels, were consistent with pregnancy. "Congratulations Smye, you're pregnant, but without the baby at the end."

That's right folks, a man, with many of the symptoms of early pregnancy due to rapid weight loss causing a mass-dump of estrogens into the bloodstream. Apparently it will pass once the loss slows down (hopefully no time soon).

To the ladies out there, in no way do I intend to say I know what it is like to be pregnant, I've only gotten a tiny taste here, but I hope you enjoyed.

whoa I had to keep reading twice is this a dude, great post congrats on the no prego pregnancy :)

@@Smye lol I had to check twice on the side ticker to check if you were a woman or a man while I was reading your post. Great post by the way! :) isn't it amazing how our bodies can change so frequently?! I do hope your hormones get back to normal and these symptoms ease! I wish you every success with your weight loss :)

Congratulations!

@@VSGmary & @@bubbles2015, HA! I'm glad my story could provide some entertainment in addition to just sharing my experience.

@@Elode, thank you!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

You're welcome!

I came on here to congratulate you, but having pregnancy symptoms with out being pregnant UGH!! at least when your pregnant you can comfort yourself tell yourself it's all worth it, Did the Dr. say what causes a man's body to react this way?

@@amponder, I'll admit, were I actually pregnant, I think I'd be more concerned :)

And yes, the Dr. was able to explain that it's because our fat cells are producers and warehouses for massive amounts of various estrogens. Since I've dropped 70 lb in 63 days, I've effectively dumped 70 lb worth of estrogen storage directly into my bloodstream. It's pretty normal, and I knew to expect it to some extent, but WHOA, it hit me a lot harder than expected.

Congratulations, welcome to the world of estrogen. Now you know why women sometimes have no control over our emotions. ;)

Edited by Luvin_Life125

Reminds me a little of when my dad went through prostate cancer treatment which included hormone therapy. He actually had hot flashes. And my mom, who of course is many years post menopausal, told me she quietly enjoyed his discomfort just because he understood finally what she and many women go through. ;)

@@Luvin_Life125, thanks! It's the weirdest thing I tell ya. I've always had elevated estrogen levels (thanks mom!), but this is a whole new level.

@@gowalking, thank you for the anecdote - I'm always fascinated by the biochemical interactions our bodies have with hormones. I was trained as a biochemist before becoming a teacher, so I know all of the explanation behind all of this, but having it actually happen to me is something else entirely :)

@@Luvin_Life125, thanks! It's the weirdest thing I tell ya. I've always had elevated estrogen levels (thanks mom!), but this is a whole new level.

@@gowalking, thank you for the anecdote - I'm always fascinated by the biochemical interactions our bodies have with hormones. I was trained as a biochemist before becoming a teacher, so I know all of the explanation behind all of this, but having it actually happen to me is something else entirely :)

@@LipstickLady, HA! I will say that the last time I felt that constipated (3 days ago), I totally felt like a baby was coming through, but then was shocked to find I'd delivered something more akin to a baby mouse than a baby human.

@@20150522MC, always glad to help!

is this your student?

GIF-bewildered-confused-look-skeptical-u