Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone benefit from meditation?

I've been doing a monthly group guided meditation class and have started to meditate every night before bed. For me it is a spiritual practice and I would say that maintaining my weight loss is as much a spiritual practice as it is a physical practice. I do believe in the mind-body connection.

I believe that meditation helps me to release negative energy, such as sadness and anger, instead of turning to food as a coping mechanism. Self soothing with food was my pattern of behavior when I was morbidly obese — a habit that likely played a pivotal role in my becoming morbidly obese in the first place.

Has anyone tried meditation?

I have been meditating for about four years. I meditate first thing in the morning four a few minutes before I get out of bed. It has been so beneficial for strees, anger and anything else negative that I can meditate out with positive thoughts.

@@My Bariatric Life, funny you should mention that. Just last night my husband reminded me that I haven't meditated in a while (he has been meditating for over a year). I started about seven months ago, shortly before my surgery. After my surgery I began to do it very sporadically and lately, I have to admit, I haven't done it at all and I can feel the difference. Meditating helped me to feel calm and to de-stress. I also felt more connected to God.

It was meant for me to read your post today. I will start again this evening.

Love Mindful Meditation and all the benefits -- should bea dointt hat now instead of this! Less screen time, more silence and breathing.

Yes! I think it helps with self control in every aspect of my life. :-)

@@Liz5012 I like that idea of meditating for a few minutes before you get out of bed. I may incorporate that into my daily practice!

@@Kathy812 that's so great -- I've learned that there is no coincidence, only synchronicity. So yes, you were meant to read my post!

Years ago I attended the well-respected Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8-week program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Professor of Medicine Emeritus and creator of the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. You may read about my experience in a series of posts beginning with “My Experience with Mindfulness Meditation

@@Bandista my screen time is off the charts high. I am usually reading and learning so perhaps that gives me some good karma? :D