Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Re Sleeve after weight gain?

Has anyone ever gained back there weight and went for a second vertical sleeve surgery? I ask because I am back to my old depressed self and I have gained back almost 50 lbs I cant seem to lose the weight im back to eating really restricted one week then fall off the wagon for three days then get back on it and my weight does not go down but 1 lbs at a time seems to increase.

Sorry to hear about your weight gain. It's a lifelong struggle for sure.

What triggers you to eat? How do you think getting a second surgery is going to help with your head hunger?

They may do a revision to the RNY, but do you really need it? Have you asked your Dr. for a referral to see a psychologist who can help with the eating issues? Might be a place to start. Good luck to you, and let us know how you are doing....

Has anyone ever gained back there weight and went for a second vertical sleeve surgery? I ask because I am back to my old depressed self and I have gained back almost 50 lbs I cant seem to lose the weight im back to eating really restricted one week then fall off the wagon for three days then get back on it and my weight does not go down but 1 lbs at a time seems to increase.

They wouldn't re-sleeve you. What would be left? The only other option would be bypass, but you would have to jump through major hoops to get insurance to cover it. You may need to contact your program and possibly start attending support group to help get back on track.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Do you mind me asking, how much can you eat in one sitting?

I have a friend who got resleeved. She wasn't feeling as much restriction. She hadn't gained any weight, but still needed to lose some more. She did well with the second resleeve. It's been two years and she is at goal weight and still feels some restriction with the new sleeve

You need to speak with someone who can help you get to the root of your eating issues.

With me, I have found that avoiding ALL sugar, flour, potatoes, rice, Pasta, starchy veggies & bread and focusing on non-starchy veggies and lean/fat free Protein has eliminated cravings.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get back on track. It will be tough at first, but once you get over the hump it should get easier.

My surgeon says that if you fall off the horse, call his office. They won't judge, and they can help you get back on track by giving you tips, reeducating you about how you should be eating, and/or refer you to a nut, psych, or trainer who can help. Don't be embarrassed to call your doctor's office for help. They're invested in your success. Good luck!

You need to speak with someone who can help you get to the root of your eating issues.

With me, I have found that avoiding ALL sugar, flour, potatoes, rice, Pasta, starchy veggies & bread and focusing on non-starchy veggies and lean/fat free Protein has eliminated cravings.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get back on track. It will be tough at first, but once you get over the hump it should get easier.

Totally agree with this. Avoiding these has been what I have done for 17 months now and I truly believe this is why I don't have the cravings any longer. I don't deprive myself, I just no longer have the taste.

Totally agree with this. Avoiding these has been what I have done for 17 months now and I truly believe this is why I don't have the cravings any longer. I don't deprive myself, I just no longer have the taste.
Same here. I find if I do feel like carbs/sugar and eat even a small, sensible amount, the next few days I crave more and more if it, and they get harder to resist.

That's what happens to me, also. If I have bread or maybe a treat at a party, I am SOOOO much more hungry and have cravings. Easier to just avoid those things, then I don't even miss them

Thank you to everyone who posted about avoiding the carbs because whenever you try them, they lead to cravings for more. That's exactly what I needed to hear! I haven't tried them yet for fear of the slippery carb slope, and your posts inspire me to keep avoiding them. Thus far in maintenance, nuts, cheeses, and decadent meats have been my treats; and so far they have not led to weight gain. Thanks again for your really helpful advice!

Edited by Rogofulm

When I dieted before, a good method to get rid of the carb and sugar cravings was to do a colon and candida cleanse. I noticed that if I do those before trying to lose weight and diet it made a huge difference to help give you a fresh start. I dont know how it would be after the procedure because I havent had mine yet but I hope this helps :) also when I went to my psych eval she said something that made me think. She said you shouldnt eat anything unless its a 10, why waste your time with any thing that doesnt taste its best. So if it isnt good for you and it isnt a 10, dont eat it :) good luck!

Yes it is possible to resleeve. Regardless of what others will tell you it is possible to restretch you stomach, some people are more likely than others for a lot of reasons. My "sleeve" is very large, my surgeon used a 42 Bougie and had to start with a larger sleeve because of scar tissue. It easily stretched out in just a years time. I have X-rays to prove the size and for me, it wasn't about cutting carbs or increasing exercise. I needed a tool that worked for me as long as I work for it and I don't have that. Be sure though that it is the sleeve that is "broken" and not you before restoring to another surgery. I obsessively researched resleeving for months as well as pouch resets and back to basics before deciding to revise to MGB. I'm scheduled for 4/23. Best of luck for whatever you decide.