Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve to MGB Low BMI

I've been researching resleeving as my sleeve has never worked for me at all. A surgeon who comes very highly recommended believes MGB is a better option than resleeving. I had NEVER even considered such a thing though I figure it doesn't hurt to do a little research. The thing is I weight right around 175 lbs, I'm very happy around 150 lbs, it this surgery too invasive for a lower BMI patient?

What do you mean the sleeve never worked? Are you able to eat a lot at one time? How much weight did you lose on it and how long ago?

I started with lapband 2007 lost over 100 lbs, maintained well, did great but decided to revise to sleeve September 2013, Since then Iv struggled everyday ! I weigh 10 lbs more today than I did the day of surgery. Yes I can eat as much as I want, I have little to no restriction and I have xray pics showing a very large sleeve.

That sucks, and what a waste of money! The rny surgery is all the buzz now

MGB is a better option then the rny. But if you just want to lose 10-30 lbs, then I wouldn't do any. If you are looking to lose lets say 50 or 60lbs, I would go to a good surgeon who would tailor the mgb to your weight loss. There are only 2 surgeons in USA who perform it I believe. I had mines overseas in India by dr.kurlar and so far good. I told him my concern is I want to be able to eat somewhat. With my body type and muscle mass, he did a 7 feet bypass instead of 6.5feet he does with a larger pouch. So far I am doing 70 lbs in 5.5 months. I just want to lose maybe another 30 and I have never felt hungry or I am missing out from the food. Best of all unlike the rny or sleeve, this is reversible. Make sure your surgeon has experience revising sleeve to mgb.

At this point, I'm sure I don't want to go the route of the MGB, I was just looking into it since Dr. Rodriguez is a fan of this however per his coordinator he may decide resleeving is the route for me as typically he is dealing with patients with a greater BMI than 30. I'm waiting to hear back from him. So far Dr. Wilhelmy and Dr. Ungson have impressed me most with their information and history of resleeving but wow, you were right Rocky1, they are by far the most expensive I've talked to so far ! I'm still waiting to talk with Dr. R Kelly before making my final decision but right now I'm set on resleeving and it's between Dr. Corvala/Wihelmy/Kelly. (And Rodriguez if he will do it instead of the MGB) Thank you both !

Have you looked at Ariel Ortiz? He does a lot of re-do operations, botched sleeves, lap band, etc. he even has a you tube video on a surgical repair

Dr. Ortiz was on my list and I was very interested in his program however, per his coordinator he resleeves using the plication method which I am not a fan of.

I agree Rocky1, I'm moving into that phase this week.

Yeah, I don't know why he is pushing plication... The thought of rotting skin..yuk

Hi.....your post grabbed my interest. I just found out that my sleeve is larger also. I had mine done jan 9th and knew since day 1 it was bigger. I went for a 2nd opinion Monday and the doctor said it looked good but yes, it was larger than the normal sleeve. He said it could have been that the surgeon could not cut it completely due to scar tissue from a band removed 4 months prior so he wants to send me for an endoscopy to make sure. I've been told I am jumping the gun and that I should take some time and work at my exercise and food program. This confirmed larger stomach is still new news for me so I'm taking some time to absorb and I go see the surgeon who did the sleeve today. I have not lost a pound since my last appointment 3 weeks ago and I'm going to flat out ask him why my stomach is larger than normal. What happened when you confronted your surgeon about the larger stomach? What did they say and where are you now? Thanks

Hi I had band to MGB revision four weeks ago my Bmi was 34 I am 23lbs down this month. I wanted the sleeve initially (massive slip with my band) but was persuaded to have mgb because often when our bodies are used to low calories as you have had a lapband and a sleeve we need the extra help to reset the body to lose, also I had major reflux from my band.

My surgeon used a size 42 bougie on me and went liberal at that because on the day of surgery I weighted 169 lbs (150 is about perfect for me) Because of this and also some damage done by my band my stomach easily stretched out more than it should have at this point. I'm right now obsessively researching the possibility of being "resleeved" I've talked to a couple of surgeons who think I'm a candidate so that's the route I want to go. I've ruled out all other surgeries (MGB/DS ect) and I'm just trying to get okay with the idea of a third surgery and the risks associated with it. I'm right now bouncing between 177-180 even though I'm doing Crossfit 2 or 3x a week and yoga on Sundays and I even rollerbladed 2 miles on Monday. I'm scared to death of another surgery, but I'm more afraid of gaining it all back!

Hi I had band to MGB revision four weeks ago my Bmi was 34 I am 23lbs down this month. I wanted the sleeve initially (massive slip with my band) but was persuaded to have mgb because often when our bodies are used to low calories as you have had a lapband and a sleeve we need the extra help to reset the body to lose, also I had major reflux from my band.

I had never thought of this but it makes sense, I know over the six years with my band there were a lot of times where I prob was only eating 500/800 calories a day. I always felt like removing the band was almost like opening the flood gates after feeling so restricted for so long. Have you had any issues at all? Did you talk with any others who had went the same route since before you had it done? I had major reflux with the band as well but I haven't had a bit of it since.

Had my band seven years ago dropped to 120lbs so 100lb loss, band slipped three years later due to two pregnancies (to be honest pretty much starved that weight off me, couldn't eat any nutrient dense food really due to over restriction) regained 60lbs. I wanted to get the sleeve and refused to go back to my initial surgeon unless he agreed to do it even though he was against it. It was only about four hours prior to surgery that he managed to change my mind. I thought that because a restriction only procedure had worked so well for me before it would again. His points were. 1) if you have a band your stomach will be damaged so they would have to make the pouch slightly larger because of scar tissue therefore you will probably be able to eat more 2) your body is not shocked by just going on a low cal diet again, it's used to it 3) it's reversible 4) they don't bypas as much of the intestines so malabsorption is not as high (this was my main reason I didn't want it) 4) usually a couple of good Multivitamins a day is all the supplements you need, with traditional rny it's more 5) probably won't suffer with as many extreme reactions to sugar/ fat as rny. 6) if you have a bypas then you have no where else to go, no more surgery, if you have a sleeve and it doenst work you will need to revise again anyway (especially relevant if you are self pay like me!)

I am really happy I changed my mind, I haven't had any problems I still have slight reflux which they are hoping will settle in a month or two. That's the main reason I am happy I changed my mind. Reflux is normally worse with the sleeve. I felt fully recovered within a week (would have been earlier but it was the port removal pain that hurt)

However I am sure there are many success stories with any kind of revision.

I didn't talk with others but while I was in the hospital I met three other girls similar to myself (under 30 Bmi under 35) having lapband to mgb revision which reassured me as I always associated bypass with those that needed extreme weightloss