Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hopefully the time will go by fast for us! just keep thinking- by the holidays we'll have lost noticable weight and next summer will be much more enjoyable!

I know right! I live in Florida, so I am really looking forward to that first post-op summer. I joked that this summer I am going to proudly frolick in the Water and let my friends take all of the fat pictures they want of me. It will be the last time I will have to make it through another uncomfortable summer.

Well... I had a different approach.

I focused on my mental preparedness to ensure myself of my decision. I thought of all the various foods and eating situations that I enjoyed and made sure that I experienced every one before surgery so that I could say "good bye" to them. I focused on the actual pleasure, and noted that I could live without it forever in exchange for feeling better and fitting better in the world. I think this really has helped me with avoiding any cheating or temptations because I gave myself time and opportunities to make peace with it all.

My other main focus was on arranging work and personal obligations so that I could ensure that I had four weeks to recover from surgery and establish good habits from the beginning. This was especially helpful for me since I ended up with a complication and needed some extra healing time.

I did spend time learning about what I would need post surgery and having necessary materials. But I knew I would have nothing but time to focus on the new habits post surgery and was mentally prepared to follow through on that.

Good luck!

Edited by Elizabeth21

I'm in Florida too!!! I meet witg my surgeon for the first time tommorrow but I know I'll have to wait six months for insurance :/

I know exactly what you're going through, I just finished my 4th weight check (2 more to go April 15 end date). I feel like it's an emotional roller coaster, but much needed. I'm taking the time to mentally prep (like others):

I cut out starches

started walking 15-20 minutes 3 x per week

64 oz Water intake

high Protein, low sugar meals

Sometimes- food measure

replace Breakfast w high Protein low sugar shake

1200-1400 calorie intake per day (i'm doing 1400 calories but goal of 1200)

Getting the family to be healthier as well.

Take advantage of the info your nut gives you. This will only make the journey after surgery easier.

Welcome @vixen1978

Unfortunately I had to wait the six month period also. You will find yourself on information overload. You will find yourself prepared at home 2 months prior to the surgery date. The great thing is by the time your surgery date comes up you should have every answer you could think of answered. Just remember everyone's situation is different make a list and when you speak with your surgeon, nut and phys you should have all the questions you need to get you started. You will gain a lot of information here and good luck to you. My date is March 30th and it seems like it will take forever to get here

Welcome @vixen1978

Unfortunately I had to wait the six month period also. You will find yourself on information overload. You will find yourself prepared at home 2 months prior to the surgery date. The great thing is by the time your surgery date comes up you should have every answer you could think of answered. Just remember everyone's situation is different make a list and when you speak with your surgeon, nut and phys you should have all the questions you need to get you started. You will gain a lot of information here and good luck to you. My date is March 30th and it seems like it will take forever to get here

March 30 is so close!

Great advice on this thread. I think the important point is that this is a marathon, not a sprint. The pre-op period really helps you prepare for the surgery and post-op period. Also the lower your BMI is pre-op the safer the procedure and research indicates you will be more successful with weight loss post-op.

So for all of those with long waiting periods, hang in there and use the time well!

I got the form from my insurance this morning that goes into detail on what I need. I soooo should have stuck with Weight Watchers, becuase united will accept weigh-ins for 6 months, and a 2 year proof of weight. But oooohhh noooooo, I had to quit that a year ago, so now I get to do the 6th month diet. They emailed me a form to take with me to each visit for the dr to fill out, and after that I fax it in. Time to get this show on the road... This next 6 months is going to DRAG!!!!!

I am in it with you! Here's to 6 months of mental prep.

Yes! I feel like a woman possessed. Lol. Good to know the obsession might pass, and I will eventually research myself out. I too am so excited about the clothes I will be able to wear. Thanks for sharing the website! Something else to focus on.

I think we all through the obsession stage i know i did. I watched every video i could find. Read every story then a friend told me about this site. I try not to think about my surgery is right around the corner.

March 30th will be here before i know it. All i can think about now is soon i wont be shopping in Lane Bryant or Ashley Stewart, now I'm looking in stores that i would not dare to go in. I'm excited thinking about being healthier thinner with a little sexy. It truly has been a long six month period in this six month period i have come to just love me for me and begin a new journey taking care of me. Good luck to everyone on this journey and even though i don't know any of you personally I THANK YOU ALL :D FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVISE IT TRULY HELPS.....we are truly in this together....

I think we all through the obsession stage i know i did. I watched every video i could find. Read every story then a friend told me about this site. I try not to think about my surgery is right around the corner.

March 30th will be here before i know it. All i can think about now is soon i wont be shopping in Lane Bryant or Ashley Stewart, now I'm looking in stores that i would not dare to go in. I'm excited thinking about being healthier thinner with a little sexy. It truly has been a long six month period in this six month period i have come to just love me for me and begin a new journey taking care of me. Good luck to everyone on this journey and even though i don't know any of you personally I THANK YOU ALL :D FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVISE IT TRULY HELPS.....we are truly in this together....

@sassycas45 I've been thinking the same thing! I can't wait until shopping includes more variety than Lane Bryant and Torrid!

Six month wait..wow...I waited 4 years for my surgery. now the wait here is between 7-10 years. Six months seems a pretty small time frame to me.

Others have talked about the things you can work on..Me just be patient and calm down. It will happen and the time will fly by.

Patients is a good thing to learn because nothing good comes from speeding through something good! :)

Six month wait..wow...I waited 4 years for my surgery. now the wait here is between 7-10 years. Six months seems a pretty small time frame to me.

Others have talked about the things you can work on..Me just be patient and calm down. It will happen and the time will fly by.

Patients is a good thing to learn because nothing good comes from speeding through something good! :)

4 years? 7-10 years? What do you mean? Your insurance requires years of supervised weight loss?

I am really enjoying the book "50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without food." It is giving me some good ideas on things to do instead of eating emotionally.

4 years? 7-10 years? What do you mean? Your insurance requires years of supervised weight loss?

No that is the waiting list here just to get the first appointment with a surgeon. then it takes months to go through the process. I live in Canada. The access to Bariatric surgeons is not as easy as other countries. :(