Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon had me do a barium swallow instead of a endoscopy. Seems odd to me since I have acid reflux and endoscopy are supposed to be more effective. Anyone else experience this?

Also, I see that a lot of surgeons require a liquid diet prior to surgery. Mine only mandates easily digestible foods a few days before. I've read quite a few articles about the benefits of a liquid diet before surgery to decrease complications. Anyone else?

My dr doesn't require a scope. I don't know if its because I don't have too many problems with acid reflux. He also doesn't require a liquid diet. Only 2 days prior. But I'm gonna do one on my own. Exercising will help too. Hoping to start exercising tomorrow.

My surgeon had me do a barium swallow instead of a endoscopy. Seems odd to me since I have acid reflux and endoscopy are supposed to be more effective. Anyone else experience this?

Also, I see that a lot of surgeons require a liquid diet prior to surgery. Mine only mandates easily digestible foods a few days before. I've read quite a few articles about the benefits of a liquid diet before surgery to decrease complications. Anyone else?[/quote

I am on a 5 days liquid diet, drinking nestlé Impact, it's not that bad and I feel no hunger at all.

I have been reading several books on WLS from our library, and one that I read was written by a bariatric surgeon. He said that even if your doctor doesn't require a 2 week liquid diet, he highly recommended it, as it can really shrink your liver down and lessen the difficulty of the surgery and possibly shorten your recovery.

I can't see that there would be any negatives to doing it. He even gave the website of his clinic for further info but I can't remember which one it was. It was definitely a COE. though.

I have only met with the info/insurance person so far at my clinic and will be meeting with the doctor and nutritionist this week, but I have heard that they don't require 2 weeks of liquids either so I will be looking into it more as well.

I'm from New Brunswick, Canada and my surgeon requires a 2 week liquid boost diet! Less then 900 calories a day with a 2 cup vegetable allowance steamed or raw :) I have fears of starving lol feb 25 is my surgery date so I start my liquid diet on the 11 which is the day after my birthday

I'm from New Brunswick, Canada and my surgeon requires a 2 week liquid boost diet! Less then 900 calories a day with a 2 cup vegetable allowance steamed or raw :) I have fears of starving lol feb 25 is my surgery date so I start my liquid diet on the 11 which is the day after my birthday

I'm pre-op, I had my first consult last Monday. My surgeon had me start phase 1 of the liver shrinking diet right away and about 2 weeks before surgery (which is not scheduled yet) I will have a liquids only phase of that diet. I am electing bypass, not band, so an endoscopy is not required, however I do have to have an ultrasound of my liver and stomach.