Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomatoes and/or Fruit

So, yesterday was my one year surgiversary!

But, I have a question about food.

Are we allowed fruit? Nobody ever talks about that. ARe they considered carbs? I don't know what to do with them.

And tomatoes--are they a fruit or veggie (in the WLS perspective, I don't care what it really is, just how we consider it when choosing what to eat).

I have been on a major stall and realized a lot of my food has tomatoes in it and wondered if that was the cause.

Thanks in advance.

My son and I have been having that discussion! I get to start veggies on Wednesday and made the comment about can't wait for tomatoes and avocados. He pointed out that they were both fruits. So,I'm asking my NP on Wednesday at my six week appointment.

But to answer your question, I can start having fruit at 12 weeks post-op.

I'll try to remember to update on Wednesday about whether tomatoes are considered vegetable or fruit. I'm betting on vegetable. I'm not so sure about the avacado! :-)

Sure you can have fruits. You just have to be careful about the sugar content or really the glycemic level. Watermelon and grapes are some that are high. I didn't have a clue until I ate watermelon andI got the dumps. As for tomatoes, yes and enjoy. Just remember Protein first.

Of course! The fruits that I love the best have the most sugar in them!! Doesn't that just figure?

Also, some of my recipes contain Protein and Tomato together so I can't get Protein in first. Is that still ok? Or should I avoid recipes like Soups and stews, etc. that are like that?

I was able to eat strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries at my year mark. I probably could have tried sooner, but didn't want to chance it. Like others have mentioned, watch the sugar content. I am 3 years post op and I still csnt eat a whole banana. Tomatoes and avocados are part of my regular diet. Enjoy. Best of luck to you. :)

Well, I saw my nutritionist today and, yes, even though tomatoes are a fruit, my nutritionist says they count as a vegetable. Which is what was expected. Unfortunately for me, she is NOT counting avocados as vegetables. So, starting today, I can have tomatoes but not avocados. There goes my dream of having some guacamole! At least for the next six weeks! ????

Thanks!!!@Mommabird. Good to know tomatoes count as a veggie. Phew! Too bad about the avocado.

Oh, well, it's just six weeks. But right now, I'm thinking about some salsa chicken!

I love my fruit. Especially blueberries, bananas, and apples. If I am craving sweets, I'll pop a few blueberries and I'm good. I always make sure that I am getting in my Protein and veggies first, but if I'm on my girl time and I'm hungry all day and craving cake, I will snack on small amounts of fruit throughout the day. It's better than giving in to sugar and giving myself dumping syndrome.

I am 9months out and I eat fruit and tomatoes. I do not eat fruit by itself. I always eat it in greek yogurt or with some cheese or with Peanut Butter. I have not had any dumping, but I do not want to chance it, so I make sure I have Protein with it to ward off the sugars in them.

I am 4 months post op and have been eating fruit for sometime now. At least 2 months. Fortunately I have not had any issues. Even at 4 weeks I was told to start eating canned fruit with my cottage cheese. Then following my 8 week check in I was told fruit is just fine without the peels.

I'm still waiting for fruit. I'm 7 weeks out and won't be able to have it until March 12th. But that's ok. I've been able to have veggies for the last 2 weeks but by the time I get my Protein in, there's no room for the vegetables!

Almost 7 mos out and I do eat fruit. Not much though. Mostly berries, applesauce, and some grapefruit. I can't stomach fruit like bananas, while apples, pineapples, mangos, the list can go on but berries, grapefruit, and applesauce I can do. Oh I do eat tomatoes. Life would not be worth living if I can't eat my summer heirlooms.