Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What excuse to tell your work for medical leave?

So, I was approved (yea, huge fight) and I'm going in jan 9th!!!! I work in n the health care field and honestly, I don't feel it's anyone's business but who I want to include. My boss is a huge gossip, they talk about me anyway sine I've gained 50 lbs in 3 months ( band removal) and if I tell them, I tell them but I don't think I HAVE to in order to have 3 weeks off. When the band came out I said it was a hernia....now I'm thinking I'll tell them it needs to be revised? Any thoughts???? Thx

remember this you can have your hr person only know the truth, but in many many states if you lie about your reason for a leave, you can be fired for doing so and incur the expenses involved. But I know in many states you can say it is medically necessary. and nothing else. You do not have to give full disclosure.

Ask HR what their procedure is. Where I used to work, ONE person in HR received the info and doctor's note saying it was medically necessary. That kept the medical info private, which it should be. One of the bosses in my department wanted the information. I said, "Absolutely NOT. We have procedures for documenting medical necessity, yet preserve individual privacy. I am following those procedures." That was the end of it... didn't say boo S_ _ T about it anymore.

I just told my boss that I had to have surgery. I didn't expand on that at all. They didn't ask for any further info. When a couple of my colleagues asked what was going on, I just told them that I wasn't really talking about it, and they backed off of the questions. I figure it may be kind of obvious at some point, but the longer I can go without having people watch me and scrutinize my body/food intake the better off I'll be.

I work for a large company however, our HR dept is off site at an 800 number!! I have a facility administrator and a charge nurse but that's it....they all have big mouths. When I had my first surgery I was only out for a week and took PTO and provided them with all necessary doctors notes, BUT this is state disability and everyone would know my business, including some of the patients cause they ALL talk! Maybe I should call 800 human resources?

I lived in Jersey for 10 yrs and even though on your form for medical leave you need to disclose your info to HR you do not have to go into detail to your direct boss on why you are leaving. You can tell HR to keep that info private. Its their job to provide you with that type of service but it is illegal to lie about why you are taking the medical leave. If you have an after surgery injury while on the job it is something about their liability... I can't quite remember but you can tell HR and not your boss or co workers for that matter..

I told my immediate boss and HR the truth. My co-workers I just said I'm having some medical issues and left it at that. Like someone said above, people will figure it out soon enough, but I want to keep it quiet until then.

I'm sure that you have your reasons for not speaking about it. That is your choice. But, what if you can help your other co-workers or friends? I think that it shows great courage on your part to have the surgery. In my eyes, you're a hereo! I wouldn't be ashamed of taking positive actions to make yourself healthier and looking more beautiful! "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid." I will pray for your success!

I'd stick with an "it's not something I'm comfortable talking about" rather than making something up - then if the thing you made up really needs to happen in the future, you don't have to make up a third thing. It gets hard to keep track :). Best of luck to you!

I just stated my job in September I told my boss I need to have surgery due to a hernia and some stomach issues. End of my discussion with him lol. He was every nice about it and said do what I need to do. I said thanks.

So, I was approved (yea, huge fight) and I'm going in jan 9th!!!! I work in n the health care field and honestly, I don't feel it's anyone's business but who I want to include. My boss is a huge gossip, they talk about me anyway sine I've gained 50 lbs in 3 months ( band removal) and if I tell them, I tell them but I don't think I HAVE to in order to have 3 weeks off. When the band came out I said it was a hernia....now I'm thinking I'll tell them it needs to be revised? Any thoughts???? Thx

Hi HIIPA Laws protect you and you don't have to tell them, it's not their business! Just tell them you are having surgery and that is all, they are not allowed to ask! If they do tell them you do not want to talk about it because it's personal!

Hope this helps! Be strong don't let the bully you with gossip!

Did any of you have surgery in Mexico? Did they question your note? How long were you off?

I just said, "I need to have a procedure I've been putting off." I didn't have to say anything to my immediate boss but we are friendly (not outside work), so I have her that pat answer when she had to sign of on the paper work.