Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had any positive post op experiences?

I'm getting surgery on the 16th so I've spend most of my time on the Pre-Surgery boards.

Now all of sudden I'm looking through the post surgery board and I've been seeing mostly really negative experiences. Even a lot of people said they regret the surgery a lot of days.

Now I'm getting really nervous....

I'm only 11 days post op but I don't think this has been a bad experience at all so far. My worst complaint is I'm tired because I can't sleep on my stomach yet lol. I'm still on a clear liquid diet and I would love to taste food in my mouth even though I'm not hungry but I know all in due time I will be able to eat.

I'm only 11 days post op but I don't think this has been a bad experience at all so far. My worst complaint is I'm tired because I can't sleep on my stomach yet lol. I'm still on a clear liquid diet and I would love to taste food in my mouth even though I'm not hungry but I know all in due time I will be able to eat.

How much weight have you lost? And I sleep on my stomach too! How to you make sure you don't roll onto it in the middle of the night?

Keep reading....I mainly think I have found positive stories. Also look at the Facebook groups. Lots of positive stories and pics.

Almost 20lbs since surgery. I've been sleeping on the couch or in a reclining chair, my beds not really comfortable to be in yet. I sleep with s pillow on my stomach but there's no chance id accidentally roll on it. It's sore, so if I were to start to put pressure on it, i would feel it.

Almost 20lbs since surgery. I've been sleeping on the couch or in a reclining chair, my beds not really comfortable to be in yet. I sleep with s pillow on my stomach but there's no chance id accidentally roll on it. It's sore, so if I were to start to put pressure on it, i would feel it.

how is your pain/energy? what are you eating?

I'm 3 months out and have had NO negative experiences, except a little Constipation (mineral oil has taken care of that). This is the best decision of my life.

Best of luck to you!

Carol

how is your pain/energy? what are you eating?

. My energy is normal, I'm doing everything I did before house cleaning, cooking, shopping ect with help Because of the lifting restrictions. My diet consists of Vitamins, ice Water, and ice pops right now. I can't eat broth and Jello but I don't like it and soy milk as well but ice cold tastes the best to me. Today I go back to the dr and hopefully I'll get cleared for phase 2 of the diet.

I may not be typical, but I had a wonderful experience! The surgery was only mildly painful. I had some gas pains in the hospital, but left the hospital on no pain killers (as is my surgeons practice). I was walking on the treadmill the day I came home, I returned to work after only 1 week (2 weeks earlier than expected) I have thrown up once from Vitamins and have had no dumping whatsoever! I have lost 41 lbs in 7 weeks, I have energy, I sleep well, and I can bend over and cross my legs. I have no regrets whatsoever! Good luck to you!

I had a great experience as well. I was in hospital 2 days, up and walking immediately after surgery. Most pain is from gas they use to see inside your tummy. I went home on wed. By Thursday I was done with pain killers and focusing on getting in liquids. For me sleeping was not an issue but I am lucky enough to have an adjustable bed. I would imagine that would be more difficult without one, had I not, I probably would have slept in a recliner as even in the hospital I kept myself out of my bed the majority of the time I was there. It helps alleviate all the gas and gives you a head start. I have not had any complications and I am down 62 lbs in 11 weeks.

I had a very smooth surgery. I feel very lucky. One of the best post op experiences so far has to be the day I went into a department store and tried on a size 50x30 pair of jeans and a size 3XL t-shirt. I was in utter shock and disbelief that this is what I wore before my surgery. I can now comfortably wear a size 31x30 jean and a size L t-shirt. I love clothes shopping and I love having my picture taken. I am so happy I had the surgery.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Trever

Edited by trevtrev

My experience, even with my insurance company (Tufts) has been amazing. I think it is important to remember that everyone handles things differently, they heal differently, they tolerate pain differently, have their own support system and ways of dealing with things. So everyone's story will be different. I try to take everyone's stories with a grain of salt. Even a negative experience may yield some very good advice that you can use. I have found too, that some people are just negative people. I try to avoid those people, the gloom and doomers! Even when I have been sharing my decision to have this surgery with the people in my life, there was always that one (or several) person that has to say "Oh, I know someone that had that done and they died" or "so and so had that done and they can't ever eat food again"...it's always something with those types of people!

For me, since my surgery 4 weeks ago, I have had only one bad moment: the day after surgery, still in the hospital. I was just about to take a sip of Water when my cell phone rang, hurrying and eager to talk to my friend, I GULPED THE Water DOWN! Bad move, very bad. One minute into the conversation, I had to hang up as I felt as though I was going to throw up! I dry-heaved for 10 minutes...it was AWFUL! So when they say SLOWLY DRINK AND SLOWLY EAT, they mean it!!!

The only other thing I have found to be difficult is drinking the Protein shakes post-surgery. Pre-surgery, no problem, lost 12 lbs on my pre-surgical, two week diet. But since the surgery, the shakes will not go down well. And it makes no difference if the shakes are premade or I make them myself with water!! whey Protein and I do not get along well right now. So at my two week check-up I met with my dietician and she recommended I try Isopure Protein Drink. It's a black tea based Protein Drink I purchased (by the case, fingers crossed) through Vitamin Shoppe online and has 40 GRAMS OF PROTEIN!! I literally ordered them in the waiting room on my phone in between appointments. I was that eager to try something other than the whey Protein Shakes. They would get stuck in my throat...it was uncomforatable. Thankfully, I enjoy the Isopure tea. It goes down easy and the taste isn't bad, very tolerable. I prefer it with ice. I am even putting ice in my milk. I found I need drinks to be very cold.

But other than that I couldn't be happier, no regrets because I am under 200 lbs for the first time in over a decade. I am so looking forward to upcoming events in my life without dreading having photos taken or looking like a giant clown in a "plus size" outfit!!

Another piece of advice, talk with your weight loss center, be it behavioral therapist, your dietician, P.A. or surgeon if you have any questions, concerns or fears, that's why they are there!!!

Good luck and best wishes with your journey!

I'm 8 months out. Have not had a single regret. I only spent 32 hours total in the hospital including pre-op check in and surgery. I was only in my room for 24 hours. I went back to work on day 8. (probably not smart but I did). I had some mild complications with a hematoma over one of my sights, and a slight fever which required some antibiotics. Other than the nasty yeast infection (sorry) it was no big deal.

It's surgery. We all need to remember that fact. We each handle it differently and view our experiences differently. I got through mine just fine. Someone else might have faced the same situation and thought it was awful. It's all about perspective. Heck, I had a heart catherization in 2013 and I was not sedated properly. That sucked. My RNY, no biggy.

I'm 8 months out. Have not had a single regret. I only spent 32 hours total in the hospital including pre-op check in and surgery. I was only in my room for 24 hours. I went back to work on day 8. (probably not smart but I did). I had some mild complications with a hematoma over one of my sights, and a slight fever which required some antibiotics. Other than the nasty yeast infection (sorry) it was no big deal.

It's surgery. We all need to remember that fact. We each handle it differently and view our experiences differently. I got through mine just fine. Someone else might have faced the same situation and thought it was awful. It's all about perspective. Heck, I had a heart catherization in 2013 and I was not sedated properly. That sucked. My RNY, no biggy.

My surgery was 11/24/14 like Amyllf2's story I was out of the hospital with in 24 hrs of my surgery .. That pre op, recovery, and room time 24hrs start to finish. I too have a large hematoma over and around one of my incision sites. It's a attention grabber at times lol. I'm still more comfortable in sweat pants than jeans. I'm not really eating much most days I have to make myself eat .. I'm still tired but I think once I can get my Protein intake up That to shall pass. But yes it's surgery there's going to be discomfort (for some more than others) take your pain meds like there ordered, rest, sip your fluids & don't expect to much the first few days.... Everyone recovers at their on pace. Each day will be better but like many I'm still looking forward to laying on my side too lol.. Small victories are MAJOR victories at this point !! I'm 34 lbs down & looking forward to dropping more ASAP!!!

My experience so far has been a good one, 2 months out. I would describe most of my pain as general discomfort. Biggest problem I had was figuring out that plain Water was not my friend, have to do flavored water, Powerade zero etc. Have tolerated most foods well, just need to remember to slow down.

Most folks go through a period of regret, but it passes as the pounds are lost.

I lost 50 preop and 28 post op in two months. Best thing I did, wish I could have before.