Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of band removal and getting sleeve...need advice

Hi everyone. I had the lapband placed on August 26, 2008. When my journey started I was 363 pounds. I had to do the 6 month diet and I got down to 300 pounds the day of surgery. I lost a grand total of 208 pounds getting down to 155 pounds(my goal was 140 pounds). I went from a size 28 to a size 8. In March 2012 I discovered I was pregnant and did as advised and had my band unfilled. I gained 85 pounds and was horrified. I went at 4 weeks postpartum and had my band filled back up and have lost 45 pounds but can NOT get the last 40 back off. My weight fluctuates between 193-198 pounds. I am seriously considering having my band removed and getting the sleeve. Initially I wanted the sleeve but my insurance would not pay for it so I settled and got the band. And just an fyi I have the realize band and I am somewhat of a medical marvel to my weightloss dr and nurse. I currently have 8.25 cc in my band which they tell me is unheard of for a female. They also told me they only have a few males with the realize band that have that much saline in their bands. The realize band is designed to only hold 10cc of Fluid so I don't see it really being an option for me to get more fluid in my band. I mean I know technically I can but it seems almost pointless. So my question is for those of you that did have the band and had it removed and the sleeve procedure performed how has it worked out for you? How much weight did you want to lose when you had the revision and how much have you actually lost? I've attached some pics of me before and after. The after pics are me at my smallest-size 8, 155 pounds.

post-241801-0-15962500-1417238676_thumb.jpg

post-241801-0-03543500-1417238682_thumb.jpg

post-241801-0-33745600-1417238754_thumb.jpg

post-241801-0-96852800-1417238759_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Let me tell you, the revision was the best thing that I ever did! I lived with my band for 4.5 years and initially lost all of my excess weight, the a tragic life event came and I was never able to get the fill right after that. I had my revision in October and am down 20lbs. (I was 180 at surgery). The sleeve is so comfortable. You don't notice it like I was always aware of the band and port. It works as the stomach intended, just get full fast. The full feeling is great, no stuck with the stomach growling underneath. I feel like my quality of life has been restored. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks for the reply Bearhugs1975!! Did you have pain after your revision? I had no pain after my lapband surgery. But in all fairness at that point I had had 4 c-sections so in comparison the lapband was a cakewalk lol. Lately I have food getting stuck more often than not and I am just tired of it. I won't be able to have a revision until March because I am self pay. I am just ready to have something close to normal again. I don't even go out to eat anymore because the incidents of stuck food cause me to spend the majority of the time in the bathroom :(

I had a bit of pain, but nothing that wasn't tolerable. I remember the days in the bathroom. Stuck is the worst feeling! I am feeling so free with my sleeve. I know I said this before, but it just feels so natural. No fear of going out with people and rushing to the bathroom hoping and praying that someone wasn't in there already. My husband always referred to that as the deer in the headlights look. Good luck with your revision. I was very fortunate as insurance covered my revision. They had a medical policy specifically for revisions to get people to get rid of the band.

I had the conversion last week! My band wasn't as successful as yours but it did what it should, I lost about 55% of my excess weight. I never removed the Fluid with my pregnancy so I lost 20 lbs during it but I was afraid of gaining. I can already tell the sleeve is going to be wonderful. Pain was not horrid (nausea was my biggest issue) and I am still trying to get Water to the right in take level. I am looking forward to life! I spent the week adding recipes to pintrest of things I could never cook with my band! No more running to the bath room after one wrong bite!!!

I am about 6 weeks post op. Had a band for almost 4 years. It worked well at first - lost almost 50 lbs. But then ran into problems - port flipped, had to have that replaced and then nothing worked after that. I gained everything back. The sleeve is wonderful - no more food getting caught. I've done well in the liquid stage bu have had some trouble in the pureed stage. But I'm determined! I need to get more Protein and exercise in! But so far very worth the surgery!

@@bearhugs1975

I had a band placed in 2006, slipped within 24 hours, have had constant problems. gained all weight back and then some. Now considering revision to sleeve. with the sleeve do you feel full or in pain like with the band?

Did they have any trouble getting the band out? I'm concerned that I will have a lot of scare tissue over my band because of the slip and 2 surgeries to repair it.

Having had so many problems with the band and my age 63, I'm scared. But have to do something.

I had my band place 6/2006 just had the revision done 7 days ago. no pain but the gas pressure was unreal. You don't get that with the band. I was walking laps with the band the sleeve had me bed ridden because of the gas but the only way to relieve it was to walk. No problems with scar tissue but my surgeon wasn't able to use my previous incisions so I have 5 more lol. I'm down 12 lbs so far. Definitely free from being STUCK!! first time in 8 years I can eat scrambled eggs

You look great in your after pic, good luck with getting there again. I can relate to every post and reply that was made here. I am in a situation as well. I would like to get the sleeve, but I would also like to have RNY b/c I've heard that it has a better % rate in putting your diabetes in remission. I am a light weight and fear that RNY is too much. Someone replied to a post I'd made stating that saying " Because of my weight, RNY would be like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer. Why not use a nutcracker?". that makes a lot of sense.

I am also considering revision surgery. I have had my lap band since 2008. I did great at first. I lost from 289 to 174. BUT I had to have my gallbladder out because they felt that was why I was having so much reflux. Since that surgery in 2010 I have struggled so much with my band. I started gaining weight quickly I currently have about 7.5cc in a 10cc band and they really don't want to put any more in. Most days I feel stuck up top with reflux and stomach growling below. I throw up frequently. I have gained back up to 240lbs and I do NOT want to gain any more. I am going to see my surgeon in 2 weeks to discuss revision. I am hoping he can take the band out and do the sleeve in the same surgery otherwise I am not going through with it. That's my biggest concern along with insurance possibly giving me trouble......

Edited by kaninag

I'm now scheduled for a revision to sleeve next tuesday, Jan 13. I've gone all around this. My doctor has been great. He spent 30 minutes with me on the phone today discussion the pros and cons. He wasn't pushing anything. My band doc was really pushing me to do something and I just went along with it. After the slip I told him to take the band out and I didnt want him to put anything back in. Just let me be. He talked me into it and I've had so many issues.

't good to hear Gauge Mom you are doing ok with the sleeve and they got the band out without issue. Are you feeling hungry?

I just want that thing out of me. The sleeve may have it's own issues but I have to do something. I can't lose the weight myself and if I don't I"m headed for a lot of disability in my senior years.

Turning it over and hoping for the best.

Cheetahpride: Is your doc doing it all in one surgery? How long have you had your band?

I was banded May 6, 2006, replaced May 7, 2006 due to slip. Same day. It's very, very rare but it happen to me.

Yes, he plans to do it in one operation. With other revisions he said it took up to 3 hours to get the band out due to scare tissue and then about 1.5 hr for sleeve. He has also removed bands in 1 hr. He thinks it is better to just get it done in one operation if possible. I agree. Not sure I'll go back if I have to do 2 surgeries.

Gauge's Mom-so far is the recovery similar to the band surgery? Is it hard to get the liquids down?

BTW-congrats on the weight loss! Gotta love that!