Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Band to Sleeve. Where do I start?

Hi guys!

I was banded in March of this year, and I lost roughly 50 lbs in the first 3 months. I have, since then, lost an additional 10.

However, I have had my band unfilled once due to making it to 4 ccs and not being able to hold down Water. My surgeon and I discussed it, and we think that maybe it was because we moved too quickly with the fills. So, I was empty for a month and we started the slow return back to 4 ccs.

At 3.5 ccs I am constantly hungry, and feel empty. At 4 ccs I can't even keep Water down. This is the second time it has happened once I got to 4 ccs, and I am wondering if the band isn't working out for me.

Today I dry heaved for a long time because I took a sip of water. I have thrown up almost every day since I got this last fill maybe 5 weeks ago. I called and talked to my nurse initially, and we discussed my options. I returned to liquids, because I didn't want to take another step backwards. I have thrown up most liquids this week, and it just keeps getting worse. I have given myself headaches from throwing up so much. Last night, my boyfriend sat me down and had an honest "I'm worried about you and your health, please get this thing removed" conversation.

So, I discussed the option of going to the sleeve with him, and he is 100% supportive of anything I choose. He even does the liquid diets with me. ; )

So, my question is where do I start? I feel like a failure, and I hate having this conversation with my surgeon, but I am going to. I have to. I'm going to be in Pharmacy school and the added stress on top of not being able to eat without throwing up is just too much.

I don't know if it is too early to decide that I am a lapband failure.. Should I try to live with it longer?

I'm just sad, scared, and stressed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. I hope you are doing well.

I suggest getting the name of the nearest Bariatric Center of Excellence and get a referral to see a surgeon there for a second opinion.

I am terrible to give advice - I struggled with the band, for the most part unsuccessfully, for 10 years before I took the plunge to make a change.

I do think you need to be very careful to not be overfilled as that can cause many problems. You SHOULD NOT be vomiting regularly. I am told the band is better now and you should be able to lose weight without needing to carry a barf bag with you.

For me, I was either constantly hungry, or in pain when I ate dense Protein. I just didn't do well.

I guess it seems awfully early to give up on the band, maybe a second opinion, or maybe working with your current team on finding that "sweet spot"

It seems awfully quick to give up to me too. You may be one of those rare people who are really sensitive to fill, I was like that with my band too.

Have you done a Fluoroscope or endoscope to make sure the placement etc is ok with the band?

Are you truly hungry or is it head hunger? Are you eating Protein first? What is your diet like? Did you talk to your surgeon about the placement of the band and how big your pouch is?

I think vomiting is bad and you increase your risk of slippage with vomiting which is scary enough. Have a long talk with your surgeon and get an 2nd opinion but I honestly don't think the sleeve is easier than the band, it is just different.

I was banded for 12plus years and in those years I had at least 12 revision surgeries and I was incredibly sensitive to fills with my last band I was never over 4 cc' s in 12 cc band. Before you jump to another major surgery consult and make sure a change is the right way to go.

I only had my band in 1 year. When it got too tight and I was throwing up every time I ate something it slipped, starting at about 6 months out, it slipped 4 times over the following 6 months before I had the revision. now, my revision was paid by insurance because of the slipping, and I don't know that your case would be the same, but if it's something you don't want, you should talk to your surgeon about removal and revision.

Oh my goodness, I had the exact experience!!!!! I never experience restriction, never got more then 4.5 cc because it was too tight! My dr refused to accept the fact that the lapband, failed it was almost like he was in denial! Finally after a yr of struggling, forcing it to wrk he gave me the okay for the sleeve!! I'm self paid so I have to come up with 19 thousand for it. I'm hoping I can have the money by the end of Jan!!! Going back to your problem, based on my personal experience, I would highly recommend you not to waist anymore time and just go forward with the sleeve! I would like to be your buddy in this journey if you need one, lol!!! Good luck to you and keep us posted!!!

I had similar issues. I'm only 6 days banded but it's the best choice I've made.