Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op diet for 10 days. Type 2 diabetes and NEED a meal...will I screw it up?

Ok..title says it all

I am supposed to be on a semi all liquid diet for 10 days.

Under 40 gm carbs daily.

I have been doing Protein shakes w Almond milk (next to nothing carb wise), broth, Jello an a few sugar free fugsicles (19gm for 2)

I am type 2 and am really strugglung. MY surgery is in one week.

They told me 2 weeks for pre op diet due to my weight assuming my liver would be huge

Would I screw things up if I ate a piece or 2 of chicken?

I cannot imagine that 10 days of 800-1000 cals w < 30-40 GM carbs and the rest Protein that a few pieces of chicen would stall my liver shrinkage or cause it to balloon after shrinking some.

or would it?

I am really not looking for a license to cheat or whatever, like people asking can't I have a piece of wedding cake.

I am serious about this and in for the long haul, but I am nearly seeing double and cannot stay awake.

I have one more week of this and struggling

any thoughts?

I would hate to travel cross country (going to Mexico actually) and get there and they tell me they can't operate...I am not going to blow it over a piece of chicken!

But what is the reality of what can be tolerated?

Thanks for ideas ad experiences

I imagine a piece of skinless chicken wouldn't hurt. However, these docs know what they are doing, your best bet is to follow their instruction.

I had a hard time with the pre-op diet and finally gave in and ate real food. I only ate meat, zero carbs. I let myself eat some skinless chicken breast and some broiled pork loin. I still managed to lose 10lbs in 7 days.

Does the program you're using have a nutritionist you can speak to or email? Use the support that's included in your package deal. Let them know you're struggling. I don't think some skinless chicken breast is going to hurt you, but I think honesty is the best policy. They should be helping you through this pre-op period.

My 2 week diet consist of a Protein and non starchy vegetables, and 2 shakes. I've lost weight on it.

thanks

i am not sure the issue is losinbg weight on it - it's to shrink the liver.

i'd hate to travel to Mexico from the North East and they say it's too fatty for them to get to my stomach.

Worst case I stay there a few days and do more liquid

I'll be positive. I read some posts here about people being postponed and I got worried I might be.

Good luck!! I'm type II as well and struggling. Some minutes are harder than others. Luckily I'm allowed a sensible meal (plus two Protein shakes) each day all to stay under 1000 calories. I can have Jello (blech). I was having trouble and feeling terrible. My NUT told me I could add in a veggie during the day. At least gives me something to snack on.

I've been warned about the dangers of cheating and it terrifies me.

Good luck. Feel free to reach out if you need more support.

WE CAN DO THIS. OUR MIND IS STRONGER THAN OUR STOMACH.

as a fellow diabetic (i'm Type 1), my first question to you is "how are your blood sugars?"

if you're staying on top of them, great. if not, can that be the reason you're seeing double and can't stay awake? keeping your blood sugars optimal is, of course, first priority as being alive is a prerequisite for surgery. ;)

I did not have a pre-op liquid diet. No one who uses my hospital has one (and I was a type II Diabetic pre-op. Since my surgery my Diabetes is basically gone). The pre-op diet I had to follow was high Protein, low carb. I lost 18 lbs on it (I was 312.. went into the hospital 294). Skinless chicken, lean pork, turkey and beef are all pretty much carb free. If the goal is to keep your carb count down, having a chicken breast and steamed broccoli for dinner will be fine. I'm not gonna advocate you go against your plan or anything. You should check with your nutritionist and see what he or she says. It's tough when you are used to eating 2000 or more calories a day to go down to 1200 on a liquid diet.< /p>

I think anyone here can't answer because who can tell you to go against doctors orders. That being said, I am also type 2 diabetic. Keep a close tab on your sugars and if it's too low, tell your endocrinologist to advise you on how you should be taking your medication. That might be why you are feeling so bad as someone else here said.

I think the pre op diet is the worst part of the process. I am Type 2 and was able to stay on the diet without any problems. If you start getting low sugars, then take a glucose tablet and let your surgeons office known. I wish you well....I am no longer on insulin and my metformin in is half of what it was. It's all worth it.

I was just sleeved on the 22. I was on two weeks pure liquids and am diabetic. I followed my doctors orders and my liver was still really big. Luckily she was still able to do surgery but said had I not followed it, she wouldn't be able to. Stick to it. Keep an eye on your levels. You will do great!