Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in 09, removal in 12, FINALLY getting it back!

I had my band back in 09 and it worked BEAUTIFULLY ...losing easily, not hungry....then at the end of 2011 I had a HORRIBLE stomach bug for a few days..and DIDN"T go in for an unfill....it irritated my band/stomach so much that after a complete unfill I was ok for about a week, then it flared up and I needed emergency surgery because I couldn't even get fluids down (from inflamation)...

My surgeon left my port in place and told me to wait about 6 months to have it put back in, and that insuranace would cover it because it was a complication and not a choice, but I lost my insurance.

I FINALLY have insurance again (yay yay yay) and I've made my appointment to see my surgeon here in Vegas. After trying and trying to keep the weight off, unsucessfully, I am BEYOND READY for my band again!! :)

Anyone else have a similar situation????

Also, anyone have Aetna Choice Premier??

GOODLUCK to everyone on your own journies!

Barbie

great story, never heard this variation before!

Cheers on your journey!!!

So happy for you. Really happy for you that your insurance covers WLS. Wishing you all the best.

This is great news -- way to go!

Congrats! I know how happy you must feel!!

My md did not mention ANYTHING about leaving in the port and trying another band later! Maybe because my band eroded into my stomach and it wouldn't have been an option? That is awesome... I remember the port incision being the most painful upon install.... And it also is after removal. Congrats on an alternate option!

Barbiegirl . I have similar story . Banded in 2011 and band slipped in dec2014 . Got liquid out and was waiting for insurance to remove band but then the complications got worst .I had emergency surgery in end of jan2015 . He left port in and he told me I can re-do in 90 days .if I decide not to do it anymore he will just remove port it's a 20 min procedure . As for insurance he said they should cover because it's a complication and its a continuation of a surgery . The question is do I want to do the surgery again? Since the removal I have been at gym 5 days a week and with a trainer 4 of those days . Eating good but my weight is going up . My trainer is baffled he thinks am cheating but I am not .

I was banded in 08 and lost 75# but had a fill in '10 and went on a 5 week vacation and got sick. By the time I got back and went in they did a unfill and I got better. I went back and got another small fill. That lasted a few weeks then had to go get an unfill. This went back and forth for 3 years. I moved and went to another DR. and he said that the band had slipped and suggested (also suggested by my cardio Dr) to have it removed and do a by pass. So that is what I am going to do this summer. All those years going back to the dr office (@$125) for fills and unfills(at least 6 times each) and the assistants never suggested that I should consult with the dr. The Dr is well respected but the staff failed me. (I share the blame-I just thought that they should know)

I have gained 30 # back and I am so disappointed but have a positive outlook on upcoming surgery.

I know now that any problems you go straight to the DR not the staff. It would have saved me years $'s and pounds.

let me start by saying THANK YOU to everyone for the encouragement, positivity and support.

I had a little hiccup in the road. I signed up with my previous company for AETNA, which does cover surgery...however, MACYS as a corporation OPTED OUT OF ALL BARIACTRIC SURGERY!!! So, I did not get to have the port put back in this past november....

GOOD NEWS! I'm with a faboulous new company, with the best insurance coverage i've ever had. I WILL be having my surgery in late may, early june at the latest! I couldn't be happier about this....now i not only work for a wonderful company that i enjoy going to work every day, but the insurance coverage begins as soon as i fill out my papers (which are in the mail and I should have them any day now).

@@barbiegirl78 thank you!!! And yes, because your band eroded into your stomach, it isn't an option for you. if thats the case, i would do the Gastric Sleeve! No mal-absorption from bypassing any of your intestines.

@@rayray2474 when I first had the band out, i was adamant that I could keep it off.....well i'm not where I was pre-band originally (THANK GOD), but i'm way too close to that. i've not wanted to admit it but i've gained 90% back of what I lost. This disease of not being able to keep weight off is something I will no longer struggle with. I am absolutely having my band back and lesson learned. I will always get an unfill if something is wrong. I knew better but thougth i'd be ok then...i truly know better now. Anytime it seems like I need an unfill, i'll go in immediately!

I still talk to people about it all the time and I would love to run a support group with my dr's office. I feel like there is SO much education about the band that's lacking (at least here in las vegas) and people have gotten it so quickly thinking it's a quick fix, when those of us who KNOW how to use the band, know that it's a tool to help with weight loss and maintinence.

it's been SO frustrating to me to watch people here get the band and abuse it.....NOT lose weight and say it does not work (when they are just being neglectful...eating the wrong foods, not ever going for fills or unfills)....and also seeing someone get the band AFTER she had bypass and gained all of her weight back....and then keeps her band very full, eats ALL JUNK food and food that does not pass thru the band, so she eats, throws up, and then eats more. drinks soda and carbonated drinks, etc, and has the biggest narcissist complex. It actually hurts to see that. I cant wait to be a good example of what a bariactric surgery SHOULD look like.....i believe in it, i KNOW it works, and i LOVE educating others on it! Such a passion of mine

Hi barbie,

I'm happy that your new company realizes that there are people that need this kind of assistance. I was banded 8 years ago (self-pay) lost 120 lbs. My insurance didn't cover WLS.

I got married and stopped working and couldn't get insurance. I had insurance when I was working and 270lbs but couldn't get it at a normal weight. Crazy right? I'm lucky texas has a pool that everyone is guaranteed insurance however the premiums are crazy.

Anyway... I know what you're saying about people knocking the band. I don't knock any WLS since what's good for one may not be good for another. I've had good luck with the band. If I had issues I would most certainly look at other options.

Before I was banded, I found this website. And it offered so much information. I noticed there were 2 camps. One's that complained the band didn't work. And the other that said it did (this was before the sleeve). It scared me to the point I almost didn't get WLS. But I noticed the ones that said it didn't work...talked about Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, no exercise, etc.

The other where it did work, talked about eating healthy, journaling, exercising. And when they fell off the wagon, they worked to get back on track. I decided to follow them. The journey hasn't been easy but I agree with you.... It's well worth the journey. Any WLS is just a tool.... Not a magic pill.

Head hunger is the hardest part of this.... But I'm working to get that monkey in the cage ????

Good luck in your new job and with your upcoming. WLS

Edited by JosieK