Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I found out my sister can't get off work to go with me so I'm going alone and scared. But I'm going to make a fun trip out of it and take the train to San Diego. Anyone traveled on Amtrak? I never have but it seems like fun except I will be on my pre op diet, not sure how that will work but it will be an adventure. Is anyone else going on the 21st with dr Fernando Garcia?

I have taken the train from California to Colorado a few times. I never pay the fortune they want for a sleeper car so I plan for comfort. I always take a cooler with Snacks and a sandwich, (nice to not have to worry about the food since you'll be on liquids). I take a light throw and a small pillow. Not sure if you will be on overnight or not. You might consider reserving a lower level disabled seat since climbing the stairs to the upper level might be challenging on your trip home. The restrooms are on the lower level. The car attendant can get you anything you need from the snack car, just be sure to bring plenty of bottled Water and no worries. I generally feel safe on the train. That said I am not careless with my belongings. It is a bit challenging to get good sleep. But I do love the view and not driving.

Thank you Sunkistme! That helps a lot. I am not spending the money for a sleeper car I will call them to get a lower level seat. Where is your luggage kept? Will they help me lift my bags?

I would request assistance at ticketing. In the winter I check my bag as I have to take more clothing. They take it at the check in and it disappears into the bowels of the train. There is also an overhead rack that you would need assistance to access so soon after surgery. How long is the trip from your location? That might be a concern. You don't fly? There are also discounts occasionally offered through Amtrak online.

The train ride will be about 40hrs. I hate to fly I tried looking at plane tickets but when I saw this picture with a plane in the air I had a panic attack. Just can't do it. I'm afraid if I get a plane ticket I won't be able to get on the plane. I have flown a few times and panicked the whole way. Plus the thought of blood clots concerns me. So I will have fun on the train.(I hope). is it safe to leave my bag unattended to go to the observation car? Can you take a shower?

I checked the route.. and it is not all train. You have to move from the train to busses two times. There is no place to take a shower. I leave my bag in the overhead and take my valuables with me when I go to other cars. There is also no checked baggage for one part of the route. You might consider asking for a prescription for a few Valium and hop on a plane . If you search Kayak and other sites it might be affordable. I do not mind the train and have learned to enjoy it but... I would be concerned about clots when sitting for 40 hours on the train.

Hmmmm. I don't see where I would take a bus. I found I would take southwest chief from Fort Madison Iowa to Los Angeles then change trains to San Diego. Where did you see I would take a bus? That may make a difference?

Ohhh.. I see now. I was just looking at trains with actual stations instead of stops within driving distance of your town. Not knowing the area. The one I looked at was on the CA Zephyr line which does change to busses in Sacramento and Bakersfield. Not having to change to busses makes a huge difference.

OK, train it is! I will post my adventure. Thank you so much for the input. I really appreciate it.

I am having surgery on November 22 with Dr. Garcia! Flying in on the 21st.

I wish I could take the train. I'm having mine done by Dr Garcia on October 30. It takes 14 hours and 3 different planes just to fly for me

Wow Traveler60, that sounds like a long way. I think the train will be relaxing and fun.