Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death....

Hey guys... Surgery is monday and im scared to death. I origionally wanted the sleeve but got denied, as i had too bad of acid reflux, so i took time to think about it and decided i would go with the RNY. I have been reading tons of stories and seem like more people then not have had complications after, or a hard time recovering or keeping anything down under 2 months post op. Its only scaring me more. Is it really that bad? Or am i needing to see more of the 2 week post op feeling great stories? I need to know this is the right thing to do?

Edited by mindylouho

I can only relaymy experience. I am 10 days post-op. No nausea, no vomiting, no pain medication. Taking fluids and shakes and Vitamins well. The only complication is that I have had to use oxygen when I move. Saw my PCP and he thought would be temporary -

I have lost 9 lbs since surgery, 15 lbs total. I am a happy camper

I had RNY in June. I'm feeling fantastic. Never had any vomiting, nausea, never took pain meds. I was readmitted to the hospital 2 days after getting out and stayed for another 3 days with pneumonia but even with that, I didn't feel too cruddy.

The first month was strange... didn't feel bad or anything but staying on liquids and puree'd kind of sucks. It felt good to actually get to start chewing something. I eat everything I want (I just don't try things that aren't within the food plan). I don't do carbs except from fruits/veggies. I still drink a shake in the morning for Breakfast because I don't like to cook, I don't like the smell of hot food in the morning, the shake tastes good (muscle milk 100 chocolate) and I'm usually driving to work. Win, win.

I eat tiny little amounts of everything. Love chicken on a stick from Chinese restaurant -- one stick is all I can eat. I can eat about half of the chicken breast from a Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich (don't touch the bun). I seldom experience any hunger unless I go from like lunch time to past my normal dinner time without eating. Then, it's not like a ravenous hungry or shakiness just a little feeling in the tummy that it's time to eat again. Small bananas, clementine oranges, small apple, and a handful of almonds -- those are my standard Snacks.

I'm down 55 pounds in a little over 3 months -- only 15 from my conservative goal. I'm exercising like the Energizer Bunny... run/walking a 5k tomorrow morning (and I wasn't run/walking anywhere before surgery). I was a relative lightweight (BMI=36) and today it's 26. And I went from a size 16 to a size 6 jeans... I only bought 2 pairs because I'm still losing. Went from 16 to 14 to 10 to 6... skipping sizes. I'm amazed because lightweights usually lose a little slower than people with more to lose.

This has been a wonderful experience for me. It's normal to feel apprehensive -- if you didn't it would mean you weren't taking the surgery seriously. There is always a risk for complications and you'll see people on the boards here who have had them. Most will say they would do it again. But, if you think about it, people with complications are more likely to come here for support and help. People who are successful go on with their lives and may not be on the boards as much.

Anyway -- here's a story from someone who has been wildly successful and wouldn't change a thing! Best decision I ever made.

You are not alone. I just got word that I would have surgery 10/22. I was fine until they set the surgery and now I'm freaking out. You're right about all the stories. I almost wish I hadn't read any of them so I could just experience what I truly am feeling rather than thinking about what someone else felt. Good luck to you. It'll all work out just fine.

Thanks guys! My husband just yelled at me and said hes unhooking the internet if i read anymore bad stuff- lol. I know there is so much more success then bad- my minds just freaking me out. Its surreal to me right now!

Yes once they set my date oct. 13 I started dreaming out as well

I had my rny on August 26th. So I can give you a little input on what I'm experiencing. I'm almost 5 weeks out and doing fantastic, went for my one month checkup and I'm down 30 pounds from day of surgery. I find that crazy, 30 lbs in 30 days. But both my nutritionist and doctor are loving my progress.

Coming home from the hospital was scary since I had to have my boyfriend stop every 10 miles due to nausea. But I stopped my pain medications at about 3 days after surgery.

I had only one or two issues since surgery, the first was my own stupid fault, ate too quickly and it was not pleasant. The second was the other day, my Multivitamin decided it did not want to stay down.

Other than that everything's great. I read those stories also and it scared the crud out of me, some still do. But everyone's journey is different. I know it won't help the dreams but maybe it'll ease your mind a little bit.

Good luck!

Hi I am 4 months post opt and I have not had any complications , I was up and walking same day as surgery and as soon as all the gas came out I was out feeling great and back to normal, I work out 5 days a week at the gym and I am loving life and the new me, everyone is different just follow your doctors orders and focus on one day at a time, you got this.

I'm 3 days post op RnY and am pleasantly surprised in how great I feel. I never had any pain after surgery and was up and walking around the hospital the same day. I am still on Clear Liquids at this time but taking them in well with no nausea. I did a lot of reading , resesrching and back n forth trying to decide between RnY and sleeve. Ultimately I took my surgeons advice on which I would have greater success with and haven't regretted one second of it.

I had my surgery March 2009 and as you are I was scared to death. I was 257 lbs and got to 139lbs within 9 months, believe it or not the worst part of the surgery was the IV, only because I hate them. Yes, in the beginning it's tough adjusting to the new way of eating. I wish I would've done the surgery years sooner so I could've enjoyed life to its fullest. Life after surgery has been incredible the only complication up to this point is low Iron I had to have iron infusions to get back to a safe level.

Other advice I'd like to pass on is the surgery is not a permanent fix you will always have to watch your food intake. In saying that I still have no regrets. It's easier losing 10 lbs than 100+ lbs.

@@jeweleez ... completely forgot about that IV part --- ICK!!!! I have terribly tiny flat veins that collapse about 24 hours after someone finally manages to hit a vein and get an IV in. 6 days in the hospital -- 5 different IVs. I actually refused the last one they wanted to start (when I was in with pneumonia) so they let me go home. I was becoming a difficult patient! lol

I didn't mention about pain -- never had any pain meds after the surgery except the ones they give you IV just after the surgery. No real pain at all -- discomfort is a better word... that gas in the chest is very uncomfortable but I don't know how much of mine was gas versus the pneumonia. The only reason I ended up with pneumonia was that I was put on the cardiac floor instead of post-surgery because they didn't have room and the nurses on the cardiac floor don't want you up walking around a lot. My doctor and the bariatric coordinator at the hospital actually used my case as a training case for nurses on other floors for how to treat WLS patients.

We'll everyone, I had my surgery yesterday morning and all went great. I was walking around yesterday evening all through the night as that's what feels the best. I am getting Jello down today with no issues. They are discharging me today. Yay. Thanks for all the great words of encouragement. Long road ahead but all is great so far. Moderate pain but keep it under control.