Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newton's First Law of Obesity

What do all people who get ahead in life, who succeed at great challenges, who achieve great things, have in common? They all got started! And once they got started they "stayed the course" through the tough times, having faith that a better time and place was in their future, and not too far to reach for.

No professional athlete ever got great by occasionally training. No talented surgeon became great by entering an Operating Room now and then. Amazing parenting requires daily commitment. Amazing ANYTHING requires daily commitment. Greatness requires showing up, day after day.

We have received Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) as a tool. That tool shows up every day. Do we? Do we show up to use that tool every day? Paraphrasing Newton's First Law, "Objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest." How does this apply to us? "Objects" (us!) sprawled across the sofa eating chips and believing they can't succeed tend to stay on the sofa eating chips not succeeding! "Objects" (us again!) eating healthy foods and exercising tend to remain eating healthy foods and exercising.

We have all lived the experience of having Newton's Law work against us, which is how we qualified for WLS. How can you make Newton's Law work for you? What are you willing to do today, tomorrow and the next day to make Newton's Law work for you?

I met today with a Life Coaching client who for medical reasons beyond her control cannot qualify for WLS so doesn't benefit from the tool we have all been granted. But she shows up every day for herself, walking briskly for an hour and eating primarily vegetables, fruit and lean sources of Protein. Without our tool, she shows up! With our tool, how can you better show up in your own life?

It's not hard to do and you can do it! Start small, so the change is sustainable, but make it consistent. Small changes add up to something valuable if repeated often enough. So what will you do? Will you take a 20 minute walk daily with your heart healthily pounding during your lunch hour? Will you ride your bike for 20 minutes up a 500 foot hill daily and then coast home? Will you briskly swim laps daily for 20 minutes at your local pool? Will you follow-up these activities with lean, healthy dinners?

What I and my coaching clients have learned is that if we create daily programs for healthy living they are only hard to maintain for a few weeks and then we reap huge benefits in health, mobility and pride. Then the changes become the "New Normal." Consider....what would you like your "New Normal" to be? Are you willing to be uncomfortable for a few weeks to achieve it? If you are, I know the "New Normal" healthier you is within your reach and I know how to get there!!

Thank you that was a very interesting article! i really thought about a lot of things you said in this! change is scarey but all so good for us.

I am 8 weeks pre-op and I'm already experiencing some of these wonderful changes. I had to quit smoking before my surgeon would agree to operate. He is requiring 3 nicotine test at 30 day intervals to prove I quit smoking. I've been nicotine free since 8/12/14 now!! Just like food, my life revolved around smoking. All the little things we do every day (like getting in a car or drinking morning coffee), I associated with smoking. The first couple weeks were really tough because of that. I had to constantly remind myself I was a non-smoker now. I couldn't even think of it as "I quit smoking". That implied I could start back. No, I have to think of it as "I'm a nonsmoker". No chance I'm letting that habit get a hold of me again. But gradually, as the weeks past (just started week 7), the habits and the way I thought about them changed as well. I no longer have to remind myself I don't smoke when I get into a vehicle or pour myself a cup of coffee. It's just the way life is now, I'm a non-smoker. Don't get me wrong, the battle isn't over yet. I still get cravings occasionally, and I do have to remind myself at those times. But in general, my life no longer revolves around getting in a cigarette. I know if I can beat that demon, I'm going to be successful at my WLS too. Just remember, you're not "dieting", you're living a healthy lifestyle and that's just the way it is, it's not temporary.

Great thread. Thanks, all.

Beachgurl84,

"I quit smoking" vs. "I AM a non-smoker" is the kind of mindset shift that changes we you ARE! Brilliant!!!

I found (for ME) that a habit takes more than a few weeks to develop. For ME, it takes several MONTHS. But, that's okay...... I now consider 17 months of going to the gym six days a week..... a lifestyle change.