Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally on the right road

As I write this, I find myself in tears, because it took years of being unhappy with myself, being overweight since delivering my last child who is now thirty- eight.

My name is Jodi and I'm almost seventy-one. I am a wife, mother of five, grandmother of eight, and a retired nurse. My PCP was not very encouraging re this surgery, so I wasted years putting it on a back burner, being depressed, and hating my self image. The scale was the enemy. Hated shopping for clothes, and even though people said I didn't look my age, nothing helped. This post is not meant to be a pity party, just me baring my soul.

As an overweight woman, I felt invisible to the opposite sex, when in mixed company. Severe bouts of depression would overtake me. I used to say, it's good these didn't happen when I was raising my children, or in nursing school.

Then my husband's cousin had by-pass surgery last December 27th and that got me to thinking. I went to an informational seminar in February, and the rest you can say is history. Jumped through all the hoops and came up smelling like a Rose! Lol Anyway, just had the surgery September16th and each day I feel better. Not bad for an old bird! Truly that was the only question I had, was I too old and would insurance pay? I am happy to report I am no longer taking diabetic meds, yesterday my blood sugar reading was 87. I hope to meet lots of new friends to share my journey with. I have my first post-op appointment on my birthday, October 2cd. I will then find out what pre-surgery weight was and where I'm at now. You see, I used to stand on the scale backwards so as not to see the numbers, because I knew it would trigger my depression. Hopefully those days are behind me and my once enemy will become my best friend. I have two more days after today on this total liquid diet, then on to soft foods ie cottage cheese. Oh BTW did I tell you I'm going to kill my hubby and bury his body......somewhere. You see last night he put together a huge crockpot of meatballs,sausage, and peppers and left it simmering all night. I'd smell it, then take another sip of my Protein shake! Think I'll kill him! Lol

Anyway, hope to make lots of new friends of any age or sex, so we can lift each other up, as we travel on our journey.

Hugs to all,

Jodi. I may be old, but I can still be an inspiration

Good for you! I understand the feeling. I regret that I waited so long to do this.

You are an inspiration. I too was wondering if I might be too old for this surgery, sixty. I was kinda surprized when my endocrinologist suggested it, I was taking six injections of insulin and on 160 units as a starting dose each day and still couldnt keep my glucose levels under 200. So when I heard I wasnt too old I was both happy and skeptical. After hearing your journey and others on this site my skepticism is gone.

Slow cooking peppers, sausage, and meatballs all night!!!!!! That is grounds for temporary insanity you would never be found guilty of course you may need a jury of all wls peers. But seriously you got through it without even a taste great job!!!!!

Congratulations for taking the journey!!

I wish I had done this sooner, before my weight got so out of control. But nobody, including doctors, had ever suggested it. Now, it is true that I would have been offended by the suggestion but it wouldn't have been any worse than the looks of pity I would get from the nurses and doctors as they weighed me. One just looked at me with these sad condescending eyes and said, aww, it will come off (I was there for something completely different so the fact that she mentioned my weight really pissed me off). The look on my face as I almost started crying must have been obvious. Then she suggested that maybe I should be on antidepressants because I look depressed. Well yeah! you just called me fat!

Anyway, enough of my rant, you are now on the right path and you sound strong and determined, especially to keep on with your Protein drink while smelling that food!! lol

Welcome to the club--everyone here is fantastic and supportive.

I commend you Jodi. We are never to old to live a healthier life style. No matter what our age. I noticed how different people treat me now. My weight is coming off pretty rapidly. Makes me wonder. I am still the same person. Why would size make a difference? I am still adjusting to the comments. That is kind of one of the strange things you would think I would jump with joy. Instead I feel a little on display and I am not overly fond of that.

I prefer to be in the background. You will do awesome. :)

Good for you Jodi! You should be proud of yourself! You will be sexy 71 year old before you know it :) Good luck and keep up the hard work. It is so worth it.