Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys!

Sooo..... I'm on stage 4 now, I've been there since last week; HOWEVER, it's becoming a huge hassle .

Breakfast:

1 Protein

1 starch

1 fruit

lunch:

Protein

starch

veggie

fruit

Um, I can barely get the protein in, after two bites of protein I start burping and feeling so full, I might as well tip over. So I went back to yogurt, and Protein shakes. My PA says she knows I'm scared but I have to move on to stage 4 and eventually stay there. My problem is I cannot get any of that food in, and the less I eat, the less weight I lose. She wants me to set up an eating plan so I'm getting at least 500-600 calories in, but Um... How?!

I never thought eating would become so frustrating. Any tips on how to get this food in? Some days I feel as if I'm eating and drinking every hour on the hour. top of the hour: food, then I wait an hour drink, the next hour food. If I don't do this, I can't get it all in. I don't like the fact that my day revolves around getting protein in. I know it get's easier, but right now I feel like a slave to food all over again. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you!

Kandis

PS I'm also getting tired of Protein Shakes, but that's a whole other beast :)

I feel you. that certainly seems like a lot to me. I saw with other plans that they only want you to get the Protein and then maybe a piece of veggie like some mashed sweet potatoe. Though you definitely want to adhere to what your doctor is telling you, you don't want to over eat either. I would not be able to do that as well. What I do is eat every two hours and drink in between. I still try to do my two Protein Shakes because I cannot consume a lot in one sitting. I am talking about maybe to tablespoon, seriously. It will keep your bosy from going into starvation mode.

Yes! I feel as if I'm going into starvation mode. I'm trying to eat every two hours as well, it just doesn't feel like I'm getting enough food to satisfy my body, but at the same time, I can't eat more than three bites.

Last night was a little bit better, I was able to eat a full cheese stick and a slice of turkey before I started burping, LOL. I really want some mashed sweet potatoes but the stringy stuff I'm scared will get stuck. Thanks for the response!

Burping is my indicator too. Not too sexy around the hubby but we been married for 15 yrs. You know, we are still trying to figure out our new tummies. I finally figured out that I had to add extra Water to my Protein dink cause it was making me feel miserable after 3 ounces. I was not able to drink two Protein shakes in a day because it had me soooo stuffed that I often went to bed early. Right now I am sticking to what my tummy says. I am doing two shakes a day with one tablespoon of Peanut Butter for extra protein. I am doing several small meals as well. Monday I have to go for my 4 week check in and I am sure he is going to advance me to solids but I am not going there yet, lol. I will probably ease into it a week later. I tried it already and it didn't work, lol.

Hope you are doing better today and listen to your body. Everyone is different as well as the tummy.

Later loser!

I've been working on getting the Protein, veggie & starch (fruit at lunch time) in, but it is hard. Since I began pureed about 4 days ago, I can only make it to the Protein and the veggie or protein & fruit at lunch time. I never have been a big starch eater, so I figure at least I am getting the foods in that pack the most nutrients. I've tried to add a teeny tiny bit of another item & vomit happens. So, I'm just taking it one day at a time. Eventually, I should be able to get there. It just will take a while.

@@motherof5 I'm trying to be a loser, but I think I unknowingly self sabotaged my weight loss, LOL. Since returning to work, I've gotten lazy and I started buy those Naken Protein&Greens drink because they have 30g of Protein. I wasn't paying attention to the 28g of sugar part, and my weight has not moved in a week, I think it's due to those Naked drinks.

I agree, I'm defiantly going back to my trusty scrambled eggs, and yogurt because I'm not ready for solids just yet. I had turkey yesterday - it took me three hours to eat it because every two bites I went on a burping frenzy at work no less, try explaining THAT to your co-workers, LOL!

@ How are you doing with the veggies? I'm scared to try them, do you puree them or are you just making them really mushy? My NUT says I can make them really mushy and then eat them, but I'm still afraid.

Yep, the sugars will get you every time! Ugh! I love those drinks too though. I haven't had one for about 6 months now. Go with what works for you. Everyone seems so different with everything. My tastes haven't changed at all. I never have been picky and I'm still not. I've just been making a lot healthier choices.

I'm doing good with the veggies. I just puree them. If they are dry, I add a little chicken, beef or veggie broth to them to not make them so dense. I've been doing the same with beef, chicken or any other meat that seems dry. It makes a HUGE difference in being able to get them down and keep them down. At first, if some foods were too dry, I would throw them up. Not fun. Then, I would just lose my appetite for that meal. I would have to settle everything down before I could try again. But, adding moisture to dry foods or really dense foods is a tremendous help.

My Nut also says to do Protein 1st, veggies 2nd and then a starch, if you have room. You always want to eat the foods with the most nutritional impact first before you do a starch. Starches don't really provide that much in the way of nutrients. It does to an extent, but you can obtain starches in your veggies that do so much more for you. Too much starch and it turns to sugar in your system. You do need the good healthy starches that help to give you energy that your body needs. I never have been a big potato, bread, Pasta, bean, or rice person. So, really I don't miss them at all. There are other ways of getting what you need nutritionally.

Edited by Jodi_S

@Jodi_S: No vomiting. Like you said, take it easy and avoid that extra bite. TO be honest with you, I personally would not even worry about the starch right now. Unless you are talking about a little starchy veggie. I am not an expert, just my opinion. But you seem to have it figured out now. I dumped twice and I sure got it figured out now, lol.

@Supastar: yep, i think that 28g of sugar did it for you suga, lol. I like those too. Let's see what happens when you leave those off for a few weeks and keep us posted. I know you will when you finally see that scale move, lol. you are so close but also did an awesome job so far.

I was thinking about trying like some cheesy cauliflower or broccoli. Bake it in the oven very soft. Doesn't that sound good? Or some creamed spinach. I saw a very easy recipe here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/04/creamed-spinach-to-die-for/

She has pics too. She does not include the cheese for the spinach but you know we can tweek it for us sleevers.

I totally agree 100%. I've never made it to even having room for starchy stuff. I've just prioritized to the meat and veggies. So far, so good!

Steaming veggies in for a little extra longer than normal makes them really soft too. I like to take cauliflower, mash it up and put it in my favorite red pepper Tomato Soup from costco. Then I add a scoop of unflavored Protein powder. It is good with broccoli too.

Sounds good Jodi. I know what you mean about the moisture too. i will have to learn how to make some healthy dips for my meats.< /p>

@ @@motherof5

I will be trying BOTH of your suggestions! I really want to try to eat veggies, and I'm laying off of those Naked drinks ASAP! I was literally drinking them everyday for the past week and a half! That's what happens when you're lazy, back to home made Protein shakes for me!

I'm gonna try some veggies tonight, I love starches and chips and red wine! I've been surprised at how much I haven't been craving them. Jodi you are so lucky that your taste haven't changed. I don't find any food appealing any more, and it's just making it more difficult to find Protein and veggies that I enjoy eating. I used to enjoy food, now it's just sort of a catalyst to keep me alive. I guess that's how the skinny people have always seen food, more as a function and not a pleasure, LOL

Jumping in on this real quick...I haven't had the surgery yet, but was wondering if during the puree stage, do people ever eat baby food? Ha! Sound ridiculous, but I wonder if that would be disgusting or not so bad and super convenient?

My mother in law did it for the first two months.my plan actually suggests baby food.< /p>

I'm tempted to try baby food to get my veggies in personally, I'm just too embarrassed to buy it. I think I'm gonna borrow someone's child and then go buy it, lol