Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy with my decision for surgery!

Hi,
My name is Chris, I am 50 years old and had VSG on January 20th, 2014, in LaCrosse, WI. at Gundersen Lutheran Hospital. My surgeon was Dr. Grover and my starting weight was 322# on December 7th 2012, my weight the day of surgery was 295#, as of today, September 14th, 2014, I am down to 217.6#.
My reason for surgery was that I was going to be turning 50 years old and was definately not in the best shape and needed to change my life so I could be around for my husband, children and someday grandchildren. The last 8 years truly have tested my faith and wonder for life. I have lost my parents, 2 siblings, but the worst was the loss of my oldest daughter, 2 days before Christmas 2007, she was only 23 years old. I truly have no idea how we got through it, but we did, although life is never the same, but we have to go on, as we have two other children that needed to be taken care of and loved. We also had 3 family losses on my husbands' side of the family, another one being only 22 years old, which in turn brought back all of the memories and loss of our daughter.
The losses I lived through, were part of the reason for my weight gain, it was easier to eat than to deal with the pain and suffering. There were also other reasons, but I have decided I cannot live the past and must let things go and learn to enjoy the present and future.
I truly wish I had had my surgery earlier in life, due to the fact that I feel so WONDERFUL,so full of energy, that I almost can't imagine how I got through life carrying so much weight around. I am down over 200# since 2012, and am hoping to lose another 50#, but if I don't, I am so thankful for where I am at now. In 2012, I wore a 4XL nursing assistant uniform, today I am in an XL. I can hardly believe it. My jeans were a 26/28, my shirts were a 4xl o a 5xl and today I fit into a 16 pants and an XL shirt. I have not worn those sizes in at least 30 years. It is hard to believe that I can go into a store and be able to fit into regular size clothes and not feel embarassed that I won't fit into anything they have or get the stares, like why are you in here? I feel so blessed that I am almost giddy. I have written down certain dates that have been important, such as the date I got into a size 18 pants, now a size 16, when I got into the different sizes of uniforms. I am now off my blood pressure medications, which makes me terribly happy. I remember the day I was able to fit into my jacuzzi tub without touching both sides of the tub and not being able to be comfortable when the jets were turned on.
I feel like I am in such a new world that I am just amazed by so many things, that most people take for granted. I truly struggle with eating some days, as the old habits want to come back into play, but I know that I NEVER want to weigh over 300# again and hopefully soon, I will be under 200#. I do sometimes think that is a dream, but I am trying very hard to make that dream come true.
For people who are having a hard time deciding whether to have this surgery or not, please do not wait any longer, you will be so much happier and feel so much better. It is not easy, but in life nothing is easy that you truly want. I could go on and on, but will close for now and hopefully will talk with some of you later.

Hi Chris,

Your story made me cry. First let my extend my condolences for all the losses you've endured over the past several years, especially the loss of your daughter.

I also want to congratulate you on your weight loss so far and let you know that you can make it to your goal weight ????

Although I do not know you personally, I am so proud of you.

Best wishes,

Nia

Edited by missbrown30

Thank You, it has been a tough road, but I try to be positive. It makes it nice to hear someone say, "I'm proud of you", it makes it all worth while.

Good Luck on your journey, you will also make your goal weight!!!!

Chris

Chris, your story is so inspiring. I often say, you don't know people's story. What you see is only the surface. I am so proud of you and your accomplishments. I am so looking forward to that giddy feeling. I first and foremost want to feel comfortable in my skin. I am just starting to set goals and again I am inspired by your story. Be blessed

Just happy to hear where thing could go with this opportunity!!

Edited by ShortiAKA

Hi Chris, your story is inspiring and sound a lot like mine. I am 51 I wad weighing 323 when I had surgery. Last year there were 7 death in my family and a week after my WLS my father died. I have not lost a child but my heart goes out to you. I am so happy for your successful weight loss. Be blessed.

It is crazy how our stories are so close, the day after my surgery is when my oldest sister passed away. I truly hope you never have to feel the pain of losing a child. Good luck on your new journey, it won't be the easiest but you will feel so much better, physically and mentally. Hopefully we can talk again. Chris

Hi Chris, your story is inspiring and sound a lot like mine. I am 51 I wad weighing 323 when I had surgery. Last year there were 7 death in my family and a week after my WLS my father died. I have not lost a child but my heart goes out to you. I am so happy for your successful weight loss. Be blessed.

Thank you for your encouragement and it is such a wonderful feeling when you get that giddy feeling. YOu will feel so much better and keep on working on those goals. Good Luck!! Chris

Chris, your story is so inspiring. I often say, you don't know people's story. What you see is only the surface. I am so proud of you and your accomplishments. I am so looking forward to that giddy feeling. I first and foremost want to feel comfortable in my skin. I am just starting to set goals and again I am inspired by your story. Be blessed

Your story touched my heart. Im so sorry for all your loses, the lose of a child, words cannot express my deepest sympathy. You are incredible and your strength is amazing. God bless you as your journey continues. You will reach your goal. ❤❤

Edited by nursek21

Wow Chris....it sounds like you are deserving a happy life after what you and your husband have gone through. I am going to be fifty in Nov. and it's looking like the same for me as I need to be around a long time for my kids and family. My date surgery hadn't been set in stone but it's coming soon.

God bless you and your family. There's a bright future ahead of you!

Thank You for your words of kindness, you never really truly know what strength you do have to get you through certain life events. Just know that I truly appreciate it, even though sometimes the weight loss is slow, it it so nice to have somewhere to go and just talk and hopefully help somebody else. God Bless you all and good luck with your futures.