Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody here have probs w/ Planet Fitness and ending your membership?

hi all, i have taken the tour, asked all the questions and i am ready to start at an entry level gym. i think PF is good for me as i learn to be comfortable in a gym, how to use the equipment, etc.. and the cost is right for me.

BUT, i really want to become a lifter, which means that eventually i will want to graduate to a 'real' gym and i've read online a LOT of stuff about how PF gave people issues cancelling their memberships when they wanted to. i plan to just get the basic $10/mth option with no contract.

anybody had big issues with them, problems, etc? i don't want to have to fight to end my membership down the road when i'm ready.

My son joins every summer when he comes in from college, and quits every mid-August when he goes back to school. He also has the basic membership. Not an issue at all!

I think I had to pay like $60 when I quit, which wasn't too bad and that was nyc where gym memberships are typically $80 a month

Love PF! Have never had an issue with them. But then again I have never quit either! Haha the weights go so high I would never need another gym!

hi all, i have taken the tour, asked all the questions and i am ready to start at an entry level gym. i think PF is good for me as i learn to be comfortable in a gym, how to use the equipment, etc.. and the cost is right for me.

BUT, i really want to become a lifter, which means that eventually i will want to graduate to a 'real' gym and i've read

online a LOT of stuff about how PF gave people issues

cancelling their memberships when they wanted to. i plan to

just get the basic $10/mth option with no contract.

Hi, also had my surgery in July, July 18th. When was your date? I've been very slow and really don't know how to make better progress. Getting excellent Protein and good fluids. Any tips would be apprecia. We are same starting height and weight. Thanks!

anybody had big issues with them, problems, etc? i don't want to have to fight to end my membership down the road when i'm ready.

@mi75. Hi my post somehow got mixed up in the middle of your op. Sorry. I was sleeved on July 18th. When was your surgery? We are the same starting weight and height. I've had slow progress. Any tips to share? I'm getting excellent Protein and good fluids. Congrats on the weight loss!

@mi75. Ok, sorry for not respond to your question. Only knew one person who broke the contract. She simply paid a termination fee. Not sure how much.

The website says it's a $58 termination fee if you haven't filled out your contact time. I would think with a month to month membership there wouldn't be a fee.

I'm a black card member to PF and love it. It's the only place that don't feel pressured and they have all the weights that I would ever need.

I joined Planet Fitness about 1.5 years ago. I did the ten dollar a month basic membership; and there is no cancellation fee fee for my plan.

Planet Fitness is more of a beginner's health club. There are a lot of basic machines and treadmills, but NO free style weight lifting. Many franchises do NOT allow weight belts, or exposed midriffs. The regulations are usually clearly posted.

As a beginner, I feel very comfortable in my local PF facility. I have read complaints about various other locations, and I suspect the overall rating of a particular PF depends on the local franchise owner, and in some regards, the location.

I try and go at least 5 or 6 times a week; for at least a 60 minute visit. That's about 40 cents a day. You can try a trial day membership, or do the 10 dollar a month plan to try it out. If you don't like it, or outgrow it, than switch to a more advanced gym. I feel very comfortable at my local PF... it is kept clean, the equipment is maintained, and I see a lot of older out of shape individuals who are regulars. I don't feel like I am competing with Charles Atlas types.

Why would PF want to cancel your membership? And why would you worry if they do? There are other gyms out there. There is usually a reason why someone lost a membership in a PF location.

Edited by labwalker

I like PF also. When I actually go, that is. It's all the gym I need also. Altho I'm bummed they don't offer classes. Thats the only drawback. Oh, and the no jacuzzi. When my back was killing me a couple months ago, I woulda loved a jacuzzi. It's all the gym I need also. Not into major body building.

I have the black membership and have a yr contract. Didn't know u could even have a monthly membership. I like the black one ($20 a mth) cuz I can bring a friend every single day (hubby) and I still get the hydrobed! Luv that thing. So it's like we both have the $10 memberships but I also get the hydrobed! And tanning, but I would never use that. I keep saying I'd like to go on Tues cuz thats donut day at our PF. Not that I'm gunna eat one, I just want to actually see a gym that gives out donuts! But alas, we go MWF...

Once a month they also do pizza nite. PF has it down. They keep u fat so u keep going back and giving them $$...

Good luck!

BUT, i really want to become a lifter, which means that eventually i will want to graduate to a 'real' gym and i've read online a LOT of stuff about how PF gave people issues cancelling their memberships when they wanted to. i plan to just get the basic $10/mth option with no contract.

mi75....congrats on your plan and level of commitment. A lot of people (including myself when they try to tell people it's judgment free), will put down Planet Fitness. But the truth is, you get access to equipment at a minimal cost and exposed to exercise and how to do some basic moves/lifts and cardio. For the money...... for a beginner or novice, my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with PF and it has it's place and is better than sitting on the couch. Maybe try not to get sucked into too many pizza nights or convinced that you don't have to work hard to get results, and just use the equipment that YOU want to use and for the purpose YOU want. Is it for me, heck no, they'd kick me out for setting off the "lunk alarm" too much. As for memberships, I've heard that it can be difficult or a little work to cancel, but I've heard others say that they have no problem. It may depend on which staff member you get. Wish you the best in your journey!

diva- congrats on your surgery! it is a tough road but definitely worth it.

the only words of advice i have for you is to stick exactly to your program. i followed it as exactly as i could, even getting out of bed early to fit in extra Protein shakes.

i have walked twice a day since my surgery and that has really helped too. nothing major, just a few blocks to start with and now i do 1 mile twice a day.

i think that for ME, it was very important to get moving and also to make a commitment to work out as well as eat right.

i have slowed a bit in the past 2 weeks but i also note that i'm not walking the way i should be. now i've joined a gym so hopefully things will pick up even more. good luck!

@@mi75 Thanks for the pep talk. I'm trying to stay focused. When was your surgery?

thanks everyone. i have decided to go ahead. i will use this next tool (PF) to start my fitness journey as part of my total journey to regain my health.

I haven't had any issues but I also haven't tried to cancel. I love planet fitness. I got 3-5 days a week. I'm kind of surprised at what some of you all are saying. My location has quite a bit of free weights, weight machines, benches and squat racks. I didn't realize that wasn't the norm.