Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I know that we are FEW and far between! But I know there must be some other sleevers whose doctors didn't push them to do low carb. Mine bascially said (and I remember this like a movie) that "this is the size of your stomach (curling fingers over and sliding his finger down the knuckles) - you can either put something in it that is 200 calories, or something that is 1200 calories. We can't make that choice for you"

Made perfect sense to me!

At 10 weeks out, I'm happy that I'm 46 pounds down and doing just as good as others who had surgery the same week. Typically I'm around 500 calories, sometimes up to 800. I don't feel like I need to do low carb AND low cal (that restriction provides). For now, it seems to be working very well!

I would love to have a little group here going of those of us who can support eachother without feeling like they are doing things "wrong" because other doctors are making their people do low carb. I'd LOVE to hear from new people and people maintaining and a year out etc. Any part in the journey. :)

I am still amazed at how much everyone is loosing at just 2 months out? I thought I was doing something at 2 months out by loosing 25 lbs but I am 20 lbs behind everyone I read about, how did you loose 46 lbs in 2 months, you are doing great. I have only lost 44 lbs and I am at 4th month post op. I am starting to know I eat way to many carbs, I have been able to tolerate carbs since the first week after surgery. I ate 3 bites of toast.

Maybe that is why I am not loosing. I have had an incredible craving since I had surgery for Crossiants...of course just a few bites but I can eat a whole one in a day as well. Yes I am a carbby but of course only 2-3 bites don't do rice or Pasta very well, but it's starting to feel okay. of course 3 bites and I'm full but I can feel and like the carbbys and I actually have been feeling better since I have eaten them.

Please tell me and shed some light. You are doing great, what ever you are doing you are doing fantastic, keep up the good work, I am 20 lbs behind everyone I read about so I must be doing something wrong.

I need help,

Blessings,

Calimexsleever

Well you have to remember that everyone is different! Some docs let people eat puree food in the hospital! Mine had a strict 10 10 10 plany. I was on clear liquid 10 days, then liquids 10 days, then puree 10 days. then soft 10 days before having regular food. So I lost pretty quick at first. I don't work out a ton because I KNOW my body and if I work out all the time I actually stall easily unless I up my calories which I dont want to do right now. Eventually if I'm down to not losing anything, I'll kick up the working out a bit, try to get extra Protein in and lift some weights.

I'm not hungry - like ever. So its very easy for me not to eat much. I have to remind myself to eat a lot of the time! I wouldn't eat a cruissant by itself. I always always take a bite of whatever it is I want - exactly the way it was made - FIRST. So if its a burger I want I'll take a bite, bun and everything first. Then after that I'll pick at the meat and try to get the rest of the Protein out. That way I don't feel deprived, mostly getting meat in and can enjoy what I want but being concious about protein. It seems to be working great.

So don't be discouraged. I've gained and lost these 60 pounds or so just about every year for the last 3. So my body doesn't have a bad set point - which can be hard to get past.

I also drink as much Water as I can. Most days I'm only able to get in a liter, sometimes I can do 2.

Figure out a method that works for you! If you want a crouissant, get a turkey croissant sandwich. Take your first bite all nice and yummy. Then pick out the meat and eat that. I don't often have carbs by itself (though I did have a few cheese nips tonight - not gonna lie. lol but its a slider so I'm VERY careful about quantity).

I eat carbs but I am careful with the type. I had this surgery in order to live a life that is enjoyable and satisfying. I love fruits and vegetables and not having them is neither enjoyable or satisfying. My focus is Protein, and I always try and eat that first, however, this is a life-long journey and the minute I tell myself something is off-limits, the cravings begin. My carb intake slowly increased the longer I have had my sleeve but I try and make sure they are ones that are healthy for me. Old fashioned, but I believe the real truth is about the calories.

All macronutrients have calories and it is the measurement of energy used for cell metabolism. Anecdotal evidence points to the increased number of calories verses the actual type of macronutrent being the real culprit of weight gain, and more and more scientific research is finding this anecdotal evidence to be true. Do not misunderstand me, certain foods can trigger dopamine receptors in the brain and various other pathways of central nervous system chemistries increasing cravings and decreasing chemical signals to the brain that help register satiety, but by and large, if calories in is less than calories out, weight will be lost. There are those who will argue that stalls are a result of "eating too many carbs" or "not eating enough calories" etc, but I don't buy it. We underestimate the number of calories by as much as 50% in the US population-can't speak for my mates across the pond, but this underestimation is pretty considerable. If "starvation mode" existed, why did concentration camp victims continue to lose weight when their captors/tormentors stopped supplying food?

<jumps off soapbox>

In short, I got this sleeve to use as a tool to help me control portion size and help me make healthier choices without restricting what those choices may be :) I weigh my food and measure everything, including carbs, and thus far, 6 months out, I have NEVER stalled. Live the life you choose and understand everyone has a different biochemistry and metabolism, some do well to limit carbs, some do ok with carbs, but it is all based on individual needs.

Edited by Dragonsmate

Thanks my friend for the wonderful advice, I will read your message again for motivation, but I like what you have to say thanks so much and keep sending me messages of encouragement.

Califgirl...

Im with you !! :) I am enjoying a bite of almost everything I want. BUT , my want has changed significantly and the restiction keeps it to a "bite" . I am pleased with my results. I too have not jumped into exercise at top speed.I waited until the weight loss slowed. I am now doing a little early morning yoga and have built up to 4 planks holding 20 seconds resting 10. I will walk when weather permits.

This is my life and i am learning to live a new way ! Loving it :)

Let's all do this together !!

Edited by trailriderjulia@gmail.com

I am a carb eater too. Carbs are not the enemy and i follow the rule that ALL macronutrients are essential to normal body functions such as metabolism, krebs, blood production, muscle building, etc....

i have been very careful about my choices of carbs but still enjoy them daily. losing quite steadily. i find that as a matter of fact, on the days when i eat 'more' than i think is should, i lose better! on days when i am pretty restrictive the scale doesn't move. i generally am not hungry, at least not in the same fashion as i used to be pre op.

now my hunger is a slow squeeze reminding me that it may have been several hours since i filled my gut and need some basic sustinence. my daily cal is generally around 800.

I am now 17 months out and at goal. I lost 135 pounds and never stalled. At first weight loss was faster the first 6 months and then slowed a lot. I never restricted my carb intake. However I always strove for Protein first to maximize it. At first 60g per day to now at least 90g. Also after the first 3-4 months I got my calories up to 1300 so that is another reason I think I never stalled. My diet is usually 40-50% from fat, 30-40% from carb and 30% Protein. I have at least 100g carb a day.

I do pick good carbs though and I eat more now at goal than I did Before. In the beginning I ate hardly any fruit but yesterday I had 2 peaches in one day!

My focus has always been protein first and keep SUGAR not overall carbs low. I try to keep added sugar grams under 30 a day. That means I don't have to count peach sugar only sugar added to food which usually is in processed and bakery type foods. Sugar which is half fructose gets stored in the liver and eventually goes to fat. The other half is glucose and cells can use that more easily. I am also one of the rare sleevers who can't eat much of high sugar food like ice cream and too many Cookies or brownies or I get dumping syndrome.

I NEVER worry about fat grams either but I don't go out of my way to eat bacon and butter either!

I also made a pact with myself that I can eat anything I want as long as I track every bite. I have tracked my meals in myfitnesspal for 535 days straight so far. So I have never felt deprived.

Now the low carb diet works for a lot of people and they love it. But it's not for me. I am sure I ate less bread and fruit in the beginning but as I progress I add it in and track it. But the key is to find what works for you and treat your body as the individual it is. What works for some won't work for all!

So glad we have a little group going! Its amazing how many are having to do the serious low carb thing. I've been there done that, got the shirt. I'm excited to just enjoy the fruits and whatever else may come along in life. I certainly pay attention to what I eat but right now I *may* have 3 things a day so I' not journaling because I can do the math in my head (from my WW days, I got used to adding as I went). So far so good!

This is my first post on this website, because I have felt odd all along that I am not following the same restrictions as others. I was sleeved on 6/26, so I am exactly 8 weeks out, and have lost about 30-35 lbs. I want to eat more than 500-900 cals daily...so I try to (and don't usually succeed!). I don't want my body to think it is starving and my metabolism to slow down. I also don't expect to become obsessed with exercise. And I love vegetables and fruits, and want to eat them. I could never sustain a low carb diet longer than 2 weeks (and that was torture!) prior to surgery, so I cannot expect myself to do that after surgery.

So far, I have been losing the weight with the carbs (only fruits,vegs, and some crackers...altho I did have 1 m+M the other day!)

I have not had an issue with stomach pains or weight loss stalls. Everyone should certainly follow their own surgeon's advice, but I marvel that the pre and post op diets are so diverse. Sometimes, it seems like the diets are randomly dispensed, since often it also seems like no one knows the real reason a dietary restriction is put into place. My NUT says no Water 30 mins before, with, or after meals, because it pushes the food down. But my MD friend (who is a nutrition/health expert) says Water is not good close to meals because it dilutes the stomach acid which is needed for good digestion. And then most of us are given acid blockers after surgery, to do away with stomach acids. So nothing really makes total sense to me. My long term goal is to eat healthy (including healthy carbs) and hope that this all works out for the best!

So I know that we are FEW and far between! But I know there must be some other sleevers whose doctors didn't push them to do low carb. Mine bascially said (and I remember this like a movie) that "this is the size of your stomach (curling fingers over and sliding his finger down the knuckles) - you can either put something in it that is 200 calories, or something that is 1200 calories. We can't make that choice for you" Made perfect sense to me! At 10 weeks out, I'm happy that I'm 46 pounds down and doing just as good as others who had surgery the same week. Typically I'm around 500 calories, sometimes up to 800. I don't feel like I need to do low carb AND low cal (that restriction provides). For now, it seems to be working very well! I would love to have a little group here going of those of us who can support eachother without feeling like they are doing things "wrong" because other doctors are making their people do low carb. I'd LOVE to hear from new people and people maintaining and a year out etc. Any part in the journey. :)

My doctor didn't give me any restriction about carb. Even I told him I don't eat any carb for dinner, he said.. No you should eat a bit of everything except soda, candy, sugary stuff. I just have to make my best choice to feed my tiny portion and so far, I'm very pleased with the result (6 weeks out, almost 26 lbs gone!).

It may be off topic but has anyone noticed a difference in Hair loss? A friend of mine (non WLS) suggested that hair loss in WLS patients may come from a high Protein low carb diet. She said that people on the Atkins diet long term also experience hair loss. I am 11 weeks out and never restricted carbs and only drank Protein Shakes up to 2 weeks out and my hair is growing and is thicker. How about everyone else?

It may be off topic but has anyone noticed a difference in hair loss? A friend of mine (non WLS) suggested that Hair loss in WLS patients may come from a high Protein low carb diet. She said that people on the Atkins diet long term also experience hair loss. I am 11 weeks out and never restricted carbs and only drank Protein shakes up to 2 weeks out and my hair is growing and is thicker. How about everyone else?

I think hair loss because of rapid weight loss and lack of overall calories. Hair cells are always regenerating and constantly dying and new ones sprout up. That's why chemo makes you lose hair. ( I have had chemo 3 years ago). Because it attacks fast growing cells like cancer.

So when your calories and nutrient s are low the regrowth not as fast so you notice the lost hair more when dieting with restricted calories.

All I can say is that I never had it to the extent of others but I did get to 1300 cals a day by 4 months out. Perhaps getting more calories I. The form of carbs made a difference I don't know.

I am also someone who eats carbs. I dont really keep track, but am starting to think that is a mistake! I have been stalled for about a month. I do exercise quite a bit and there is two things i know about myself for sure. 1. I am not eating enough calories. and 2. I dont get enough fluids in EVER. This is something I struggled with pre surgery. With that said I do eat some bad things on occasion (cookies) but no where near the amount I used to. I try to stick to fruit when i want something sweet. I do notice the farther i get out from surgery date my cravings have changed and when I do take a bite of something "bad" it doesnt really taste good anymore. I am never sure how many carbs I should be eating in day......i just keep trying to do my best!

Good thread! I love my fruits & veggies too! Seems that moderation is the key with all other carbs.