Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Bypass

I have been planning on having the sleeve all along and then I saw the nutritionist today. She recommended that I consider bypass as I have a real problem with binging on sugar. I am not sure. I would love to hear why people chose bypass over sleeve. RIght now my only major health problem is obesity and arthritis. My family history is horrific however, none of us are a normal weight. I feel like I have been working for years just to stay under 250. My father died of a heart attack at 62. He weighed over 500 pounds when he died. I am 52 now and want to be able to stay active into my 70's and 80's so I really want to be sure I make the right choice now.

You're asking a loaded question, I'll say that right off the bat. Every person on here is highly passionate about their surgery of choice and most tend to try to tarnish the other options without knowing all the facts. That being said, I was also thinking that sleeve was a good choice but after my consultation with the surgeon I ended up choosing RNY because...... I too had a sugar addiction along with a tendency to get reflux. With RNY you get sick if you eat sugar and reflux is exacerbated by the sleeve. I've done wonderfully with my surgery and would recommend it for anyone soley based on my experience. Are the other surgery good option, absolutely they are. It's really a choice that should be made between you, your surgeon and your nutritionist based on your current health and your goals for weight loss. I can tell you this. My type 2 diabetes is gone as well as my high cholesterol as well as my high blood pressure. I haven't had a problem with reflux since surgery as well. If you have specific questions please feel free to send a message. I'll do my best to answer you honestly.

SugarFreeMe is right on target... you'll get tons of answers both ways.

My doctor gave me the choice between sleeve and bypass. However, I also had bad reflux and the sleeve can make that worse, so it was a no-brainer for me. I also wanted the most proven, successful surgery. Unlike some people, I wasn't concerned with the rerouting of the intestines. To me, removing 3/4ths of your stomach is just as drastic. I also felt like I needed the extra negative reinforcement you get from the dumping syndrome. Believe me, after an episode of that, you're very careful to avoid that food again. I've only had it happen 2 times in 9 weeks -- once on Peanut Butter on a whole wheat tortilla and once on a tiny scoop of sugar free ice cream. Those miniature cupcakes with buttercream icing don't even look good anymore and I used to binge on those.

It's really a decision between you and your doctor while considering your entire medical history. But, when it comes down to it, it seems a lot of doctors will let you choose unless there is a real compelling reason to chose one over the other. I have 2 friends who had surgeries the same month as me. One has irritable bowel syndrome and the doctor told her sleeve because they need to be able to scope her down through the stomach into intestines. Guess you can't do that with bypass. The other went in for bypass but they changed to sleeve after they opened her up. She had a lot of scar tissue in her stomach from a feeding tube when she had a stroke 20 years ago and wanted to cut off the scarred part of her stomach.

Good luck on your decision!

I'd have to agree with the other posters here. It's a very personal decision and one you'd need to weigh the pros/cons.

For me, I had a serious addiction to pastas, carbs & fast foods, sugars & emotional/bored eating. I was originally going to go with the sleeve but had to take a hard look at my habits, history and where I was mentally before the surgery.

For me, this tool was the "last stop" on my weight yo-yo over the past 2 decades. I would lose weight, get comfortable then regain more weight--over & over till I ballooned to my heaviest weight of 330. I wanted that secondary "reinforcement" of staying on track w/ what you're eating AFTER you've healed from surgery and get back to "normal". With the RNY, if you eat anything high in sugar, carbs etc. your body will react right afterwards and YOU WILL have a dumping episode--which is NOT FUN.

The upside (if you want to call it that) is that you can immediately re-evaluate what you just ate and adjust to ensure it doesn't happen again. Honestly, I've never had a "dumping episode" over the same scenario twice-- but I now know that I must evaluate not just the meats I eat but also the sauces etc., the combination of foods I eat & the length between meals.

There's no "cheat" meals or days w/ RNY unless you enjoy "dumping" (which I don't). Are there days (like my birthday) where I wish I could've had a slice of that b-day cake w/icing? Yes. But these are also the times that I'm glad that I chose the RNY, cause I probably would've "cheated" if I didn't know what would happened afterwards (dumping).

Also, seeing the scale go down since my surgery (May 12) let's me know I made the best decision for me. Whatever your final decision is (sleeve or RNY), if you use it as a "tool" for permanent weight loss/healthy living, you will lose the weight and keep it off this time.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and successes. I so appreciate the well thought out responses. At our first appointment my surgeon asked if I had thought about which surgery I wanted and agreed with me that the VSG was a good choice. Last week we had birthday cake at the office and I spent the day going by and grabbing a bite. I had to throw the leftover cake away (forget about co-workers) so I would not eat all of it. Sugar and refined carbs are my triggers for binges and uncontrolled eating. The suggestion by the nutritionist to consider bypass has made me really think about my challenges with specific types of food.

@sunnkistme That "walk by and grab a bite of sweet" or a piece of candy somebody's candy bowl at work, or just one funnel cake at the beach... those were a lot of my triggers too. I still look at them and think "just one..." but the idea of dumping stops me and the fact that I went through freakin' SURGERY to change my life and I'm NOT going to go back to that kind of crappy eating. If I had the sleeve and no fear of dumping, I think I would have "cheated" now and then and ended up back in the same place.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and successes. I so appreciate the well thought out responses. At our first appointment my surgeon asked if I had thought about which surgery I wanted and agreed with me that the VSG was a good choice. Last week we had birthday cake at the office and I spent the day going by and grabbing a bite. I had to throw the leftover cake away (forget about co-workers) so I would not eat all of it. Sugar and refined carbs are my triggers for binges and uncontrolled eating. The suggestion by the nutritionist to consider bypass has made me really think about my challenges with specific types of food.

The more honest you are with yourself, the better your success will be. You're starting out in the right direction by researching and asking questions BEFORE you make a final decision although I've heard of people changing their minds a mere week or two prior to surgery.

I went over the same question a million times. I wasn't sure until right before we submitted to insurance. I went with RYN. It was my first choice when I first started out. Also I HAD gerd and I WAS borderline diabetic. Both of which I don't have anymore.

I am just going to add a couple of comments to what are some fantastic posts with wonderful information. I had my RNY on June 25, 2013 - a bit over a year ago. I began my journey at 330 pound with a BMI over 60 and am now at 124 pounds with a normal BMI. My primary health problems were blood pressure, sleep apnea and joint issues - all of which have resolved. I choose RNY because it is the tried and true - the one that has been around for decades and they know the most about.

A lot has been said about dumping. You should know that not everybody gets dumping - in fact most people do not. I have had birthday cake with icing, real ice cream, candy, and foods high in fat like French fries and have yet to experience dumping. I actually had pizza for lunch on Monday. Now, you should also know that I do not eat a full slice of cake or a bag of M & Ms - I might have 4 M & M candies, a couple bites of cake, two or three French fries. I am very careful, but it helps keep me sane. I think if I had to tell myself that I would NEVER be able to have another bite of ice cream again I would really obsess over how much I wanted some. Allowing myself a bite of this or that once in a while has allowed me to feel like I am still enjoying event.

All that said, part of me wishes that I would have some dumping because of the deterrent factor. At this point I have yet to find anything that I can't eat and it is scary because now that I am trying to maintain my weight, I feel like I could so easily return to old habits and I am very determined to never live in an obese body again!

Best of luck to you in your decision! Here's to healthy living!!

Carol

There some great responses here. I was a revision from band to bypass. I chose rny because 1. I was a self pay and after seeing the sleeve to rny revision board on here knew I wanted only one more wls surgery. I was terrified to take the chance I would need another revision 2. I was a sugar aholic lol I haven't had dumping but I really haven't tried sugar yet. I have had carbs and I have felt really sick afterwards so much so I have completely eliminated them but I didn't have bowel issues 3. I figured if they were going to remove a big portion of my stomach for the sleeve why not just go all the way.

Now all that being said, I wish I had done rny first lol I was very successful with the band but it eroded after close to 6 years. Rny has been soooo much easier than the band for me. I think talking with your doctor, nutritionist and checking out the sleeve to bypass revision board on here (only to see why you could possibly need a revision) is where you will find your answers. Both surgery's work for most. Good luck!!!!!