Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fresno, CA Sleevers

I am with Alsa and Dr. Higa. Unfortunately, I am the mist of a gastric leak. I was sleeved 6/11/14 my leak was found two days after surgery due to an abscess.

I spent nearly 60 days inpatient and now am on home IV and IV TPN ( nutrition). I have experienced a Collapsed lung, spend a day in ICU, over 6 surgeries, and my leak is still not healed. It is my opinion the risks of a leak are higher than 3% across the board so please be sure this is a risk you and your family are willing to take. If you are the sole provider in your household know with a leak it can take months to a year to resolve and throughout the process one is very, very, Ill.

May The Lord bless you with making this decision.

Anyone else that had surgery with Dr. Higa or ALSA? I have been so impressed and so happy. Just want others to chat with that are on the same food plan etc!! Would love to hear from you!!

Abscesses are caused from gastric leaks. When fluid/food seep into your abdomen your body reacts by infection which can be fatal if a drain is not placed or surgery is performed. It also requires that antibiotics are started. I not only had a abscess but my leak also caused my lung to partially Collaspe.

Hello, I am also with ALSA and have Dr. Boone, my surgery was August 1st. Would love to hear about your experience!

Hello, I am also with ALSA and have Dr. Boone, my surgery was August 1st. Would love to hear about your experience!

Hi - mine was with Dr. Higa on July 9. Really tough first few weeks as I felt GREAT but had to stick to the broth and mushy food for so long. Was super tired and lacked energy in the afternoon. Once I could eat more variety I have felt so much better!!! Still trying to figure out the 30/30 rule on a daily basis but so good so far. Down around 35 pounds. How about you?

Hello!

I have my first appointment with Dr. Ghiassi this coming week. I'm pretty excited!

Dr. Boone did my fathers surgery about 10 years ago and has absolutely loved the support he's gotten from the staff all these years :)

@ Oceanbreeze-The 30/30 rule is a tough one for me too.....It seems I always forget about not drinking before, the after one is going good, I can remember that one. I am down about 24 lbs as of today. It's pretty exciting, but I am still on the mushy food and can't wait until I can eat regular food next week! Exercise has been a challenge because it's been darn hot that walking outside is out of the question for me. I joined GB3 and am starting tomorrow on treadmill and swimming, and will be taking yoga there too. Hopefully that will help prevent sagging skin and increase my weight loss. I do still completely lose energy in the early evening especially if I do anything during the day, like shopping or cooking. I have been cooking a lot for family, even though I don't eat any of it....sounds crazy, but cooking for others is pure joy to me right now! (I use to be a chef) - I don't feel ready to RTW yet so they kept me off another 2 weeks. Still struggling with some bowel issues too. Stevia seems to cause explosive diarrhea and I think splenda is hurting my joints, I've had a lot of joint pain. probably too much information....LOL....

@ Spring Dixie- Congratulations!! Is Dr. Ghiassi going to be your surgeon? I met with him a couple of times, but eventually chose Dr. Boone.

I don't know if he'll be my actual surgeon. I would prefer Dr. Boone, but Friday was the only day I had to make my initial visit and my only option for that day was Dr. Ghiassi. Unless I get a horrible vibe from him on Friday I won't mind either way. :)

Edited by Spring Dixie