Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to hear from others with a lower BMI pre-op

I didn't start with a low BMI, but my starting weight was significantly lower than some. My starting weight was 225 - which put me at a BMI of 40. I actually had to gain a couple pounds when I was initially going through the paperwork so insurance would approve me. My current weight, as of this morning is 179.8 and my surger was on 5/23. My weight loss has been slow compared to some because I was a band to sleeve revision - but you know what? I really don't care how slow it comes off - the fact that it's coming off, and that I am in a size 12 is AMAZING to me!!! I haven't been this size since.... well, I might have been 12. :) Good luck!!

@@Whathereagain

Hi......I think you may be being a bit unrealistic with your weight loss expectations. 10lbs per month is very normal and very sensible. Rather than get frustrated, just drink your Water, write down everything you eat and keep up your walking. I WISH I had only spent 5,000. I'm going for pre-admittance test tomorrow and have to pay 18,000. for my surgery. I'm also a low BMI so I understand what you are saying about the slower than expected loss, but it WILL COME OFF!

Stay positive and stay focused!!! Good luck.

I find all of this so interesting as my BMI is also low . . . well, not low, but you know what I mean. I was a 37 and my insurance company was balking so I ate my way up to 40 (also wore heavy clothing for a weigh in!) and was approved. My BMI is now a 37 and I'm getting sleeved on September 26. I honestly don't know what to expect. I don't want this to turn out like a nightmare where I end up losing nothing! I really want this "tool" to be the answer I've been looking for.

hi, my pre-op bmi is 32, i have 50 lbs to lose. my surgeon says low bmi = less risk of complications, greater sucess rate, less excess skin issues vs someone with higher bmi. why wait when i know where im headed if i do not have this surgery. diet and exercise alone cannot change genetics.

Yes, we can't change genetics! So true!

@@JDD713 - I was in the same boat as you. I am actually on my 1 month anniversary today. Exactly 20 lbs lost. Although the day of surgery I was 207, which I was never really at for more than a day or two (perhaps from my "last few meals were "big or go home" festivals".) ;-) lol. But today I'm 180 lbs. I'm 5' 7". I've been working out for about a week - I've never had issues with exercise. i actually love it. I was a collegiate athlete... which is why I think I have an issue with food as I used to eat however, whatever, whenever I wanted - and if I gained 10 lbs EVER... I could work it off and drop it in a week.

Fast forward 15 yrs - I'm 35 yro. I have a 2 yro and 5 yro. I could not break 175lbs after my second baby and that was after 21 days of STRICT HCG protocol. The second i went off of the diet... I popped right back to about 185.

That is also with 2x a day workouts.

I paid $17,500 out of pocket as I don't even come close to the "requirements" for insurance to help out. However, I sleep through the night amazingly, my scars are less than a quarter inch, which is amazing. and I hope to have the 50 lbs totally gone by Thanksgiving. :-)

Best of luck! I'm so glad I did this. I'm glad I didn't wait a second more than I did. I'm going to still have at least half of my 30's to rock it out hot and confident. :-)

It's not easy to lose weight after kids for everyone. Even with work outs! I barely made the requirements for insurance to cover but I'm so thankful I did!! I too sleep better & feel better all together!! Great job to is all!!

I've learned not to go by weight. I had 60lbs to lose at my surgery date on 7/2. I'm now at 145 lbs, in a size 8. I did squeeze into some size 6 jeans yesterday but I think they are still too small - but not for long. I still want to lose the 15 lbs. I'm feeling comfortable at my weight now (I'm 5'1) but still a little big around the middle. Main problem now is the need to exercise - I'm very "jiggly" from the weight loss - need to get toned up! I'm worried about excessive skin now bc that won't go away. One day at a time!!

Stanhope

We are a lot alike. I live in Dallas and I think you had surgery here as well.

I'm 5'5" and highest weight 190.

I was sleeved on 6/17 and I'm at 150 now.

So you're moving right along.

I too want to start toning and shaping my body as I get smaller. I've been losing slowly this past month, but losing is losing.

Keep up your hard work and I'm sure you'll reach goal sooner than you know.

My highest BMI was 34, currently 32.5 and my surgery is on 10/22. I start my preop diet on the 14th.

Edited by Sassy Little Redhead

My BMI is 33. I will be sleeved on the 20th of October. I will have 60lbs to lose. Excited for this new journey. I am a revision from Lap Band.

I am 5'0 CW is 205 - my BMI is not as low as yours but I am glad for your post. I was starting to wonder if at a 40 BMI I was making a mistake with this surgery. My surg is 2 days after yours ????

Best of luck to you!

I am 5'0 CW is 205 - my BMI is not as low as yours but I am glad for your post. I was starting to wonder if at a 40 BMI I was making a mistake with this surgery. My surg is 2 days after yours ????

Best of luck to you!

It is so worth it if you are really ready to put in the work and change your life. I am 40 pounds down at 3 & 1/2 months and 12 more pounds and I'm at goal.

Be aware the weight loss has been slow this past month and 1/2. But I was told that at my follow up. Since I'm close to goal I'll have to work my program well.

Best wishes to you October sleevers. Feel free to contact me if you want someone to relate too that's going through close to what you will be.

I am 5'3 and 195. Scheduled for sleeve on 10/21. I can not wait to feel comfortable in my own skin again and enjoy intimacy with my husband. I don't think people really understand how feeling so bad about yourself makes you want to keep your body hidden. Not that he cares! LOL. I'm looking forward to an active life with my 4 year old son and a healty life!

@@Jamburd1

I know the feeling! Good luck to you next Tuesday, keep me posted on your success! I will be right behind ya! ????