Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My family has decided to sit me down and tell me about every friend of a friend they heard of who had a leak. My cousin had this surgery and got a leak after a year from eating too much, is that even possible? Shouldn't the stomach be fully healed?

I am posting from my phone and just realized that this isn't the correct sub forum, can a mod move it?

Edited by AllThatGlittersIsntGold

Is it possible yes. Depends on several variables. Get the % for leak rates and then give them the percentages of death from staying obese. Depends on bougie size and when it was done, because things are safer now than they used to be.

That should change their minds because the incidents of late leaks is less than that of dying of obesity. Better quality of life also.

I had one at 18 months..That's right!

I had one at 18 months..That's right!

Why? What happened?

Yes please, if love to know what happened RJ!That must have been scary...

Why? What happened?

Yes please, if love to know what happened RJ!That must have been scary...

No problem. I am still fighting it. Happened that I was having pains in my side under my rib cage. I thought I had dislocated a rib and had it adjusted several times. Then one day the Chiropractor told me to do him a favor and have it checked. I did.

They did a Cat Scan and discovered that I had an abscess and it was filled with Fluid and that's why I had the pain under my ribs.

They sent me to my surgeon who did the tests over again and told me I had a leak and the Fluid had caused and abscess. A scope done later revealed and ulcer as well. So they inserted a drain and hoped that it would seal and collapse if it was emptied. I am now 22 months out and went today because I am having pain again under my rib cage so he is thinking of doing another scope to see what is going on now.

The last Cat Scan said the abscess was getting smaller and blood tests were good. But now I am in pain again...So we shall see if it is getting better or not or if it is getting worse again....

22 months and only 5 of those months were complication free.

I think that for me even with everything I have been through which is a lot. I would do it again because I was in a place where this was all I had left. Another person may have other options. I personally was dead anyway. So it was worth the risks and chance.

Make sure you are very informed about this surgery and the possible side effects and possible complications. Be ready for the worst and if it does not come your way. Wipe your brow and be thankful. Very thankful!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Oh and it wasn't from eating too much.......What a dumb thing to say! lol

I would check the surgeons recorded, but statistically the odds of getting a leak are very low and happen shortly after surgery. I would not pay to much attention to your family’s attempt to scare you. Stick to the facts.

Yes, shit happens. And all we can do is our best to weather the shit that we didn't invite that comes our way anyway.

But I would say the far greater "danger" of WLS is that the patient is not sufficiently capable or educated or committed or supported to make the significant lifelong changes necessary for long-term success.

I can't stop shit from happening. It either will or it won't happen. But the odds are that it won't.

But I can do my best to avoid the greater likelihood (40-50%) that I will not achieve my goals of physical health, normal weight, psychological health, an active retirement. Those are the risks I'm focused on -- the big ones that I CAN mitigate.

So if your looking at the stats...Yes it is rare..But it happens. Whether you are educated or not it can happen. Whether you feel you are ready or not for it to happen. Your not!

Keeping your eye on why you are doing it is key, and having the greatest intentions of dealing with the possibilities is neither here nor there. Because you have no choice but to deal. You can't go back if you have the sleeve. So you do want to make sure you have the right attitude if it does happen and that you can endure the possible long haul of complications.

I was less then 1%. just like some others on this forum......some odds eh..For over 700 patients I was the one who got the bad odds..Odds are in your favor, yes! But it can happen. It does happen! Fact!

Your doing it for the right reasons so make sure you can deal either way the best way you know how! k

All other goals take second place if you have complications!

Good Lord yes. I have the worst luck. I've had problems. I would still tell people to go get the surgery. I had GI issues before and one of them didn't go away and maybe caused the other problems.

I would still say get the surgery. Holy cow ... come on people, we have greater risks of dying from obesity related diseases, a worse quality of life then if we get the surgery, including issues. You see about a handful of us who really have problems. What are you willing to risk? Shorter life and lower quality or taking a chance that a boatload of others do and be healthier and enjoy life better?

Oh and it wasn't from eating too much.......What a dumb thing to say! lol

Sorry that is what I was told! I was told by one source that he drank too much and another resource that he was trying to eat too much... I don't know..

I'm truly sorry to hear about your complications, but even with all my cousins complications he ultimately lost almost 200 lbs.

I plan on getting an endoscopy within 6 months to a year after the surgery, I am going to keep track of all my blood work, like you said complications are rare but there is no deciding if you get to be that 1%. I am hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

I'd like to see some statistics on later-stage leaks. With the overall probability for a leak being so low the later- stage ones must be extremely low. Also I wonder what the causes are for later-stage ones.

My guess: weakening of the staple line. Freak occurances, possibly from the stomach organ itself losing the adhesion

I'd like to see some statistics on later-stage leaks. With the overall probability for a leak being so low the later- stage ones must be extremely low. Also I wonder what the causes are for later-stage ones.

I had a difficult time finding info on this, my family are now trying to push me towards plication, which is supposedly complication free once your 2 weeks after the surgery but I have been reading about a lot of people that have been able to eat bigger portions within weeks/months of the surgery, and regain the weight and then switch to a sleeve..