Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications

I had my RNY surgery on July 1st. I did really well with it for the first 2.5 weeks. Not so much now. I can't keep anything down including fluids and my meds. Going in tomorrow for an endoscopy. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this and what the problem was. I have that feeling like a pill is stuck in my throat always and I have taken in nothing but applesauce and Greek yogurt. Thanks for any info :)

Wow, so sorry you are going through this, I am experiencing something close to what you are having except that I can keep liquids down. It seems like solids is something my stomach can not tolerate at this time. I called my doctor and they said I have an inflammation in my pouch, They gave me a prescription so I'm hoping this will help.

Good luck with your procedure. Praying for healing.

Keep us posted,

I am in the hospital right now from what you are describing. I had RNY on July 16th and this is my second time now going to the ER and both times being admitted.

All of the vomiting has lent to me also having pancreatitis. I was having a hard time getting all of my fluids down and just this past Saturday one of my pills got stuck, and I had pains in the middle of my chest over it and started getting sick all day and finally going to the ER. Same thing happened last Saturday from some scrambled eggs.

I am concerned there may be a stricture but the surgeon doesn't seem to think it is. The hospitalist from my internists group does seem concerned that it may be.

I think I need an upper endoscopy but no one is ordering it. The surgeon says if thing continue to get stuck he will order it.

So I have to wait for something to get stuck again and be in misery and go to the er for hours and so on and so forth.

I think I need an upper endoscopy but no one is ordering it. The surgeon says if thing continue to get stuck he will order it.

Have you asked your primary healthcare provider?? Or, you can go see a gastroenterologist... I'm sure that that being his specialty, he'll order it ASAP.

Make sure you are standing up for yourself. Be your own advocate. Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel. I work in healthcare and see this all the time. Sometimes you have to be a little feisty to be heard. After my back surgery I kept telling doc and hospital staff that I couldn't use my right leg. They blew me off repeatedly. Told me it was prob just swelling. But I knew in my gut something was wrong. Finally after 5 days in ICU, I had a hissy. Doc said "fine, we'll get a scan". 20 minutes later I was being whisked off to surgery. Huge blood clot and the bones were already coming out of the hardware. I was in surgery 7 hours. If I hadn't had a hissy, they were gonna send me home...who knows what would've happened.....good luck. My thoughts are with you.

i am glad you are having an endo. i hope you get some answers. give it a bit of time too.

i had complications due to scar tissue in my belly. i was miserable. but after some tests and rehydration, the surgeon encouraged patience. and he was right! some people need extra time to heal.

I made it thru my endoscopy! That was pretty simple. They dilated the opening to my new stomach a little. The doctor said he just did it a small amount because I'm so fresh out of surgery. He said it may need done a few more times. While doing my scope they found some abnormal cells on my esophagus :( they took 2 biopsies. So now I play the waiting game. Thanks for all the prayers and positive comments :)

I made it thru my endoscopy! That was pretty simple. They dilated the opening to my new stomach a little. The doctor said he just did it a small amount because I'm so fresh out of surgery. He said it may need done a few more times. While doing my scope they found some abnormal cells on my esophagus :( they took 2 biopsies. So now I play the waiting game. Thanks for all the prayers and positive comments :)

I will be thinking positive thoughts and prayers for you! I really wish they would have done an endoscopy on me when I was in the hospital....

ANY WORD ON THE BIOPSIES???

I just found out that the biopsies all came back positive for cancer :(...I have to have another endoscopy and a PET scan done on Thursday and I see a few docs on Friday. This is very unsettling because I'm a nurse and I'm very concerned with just having this surgery and what I may have to face as far as treatment. I'm just going to "keep swimming" and tackle each day as it comes! Thanks for the prayers!

My stomach dropped when I read this news. I will be praying diligently for you!!! Have they found out what stage it is? What type it is etc??? Girl think positive thoughts as much as possible! My dad found his cancer early and they treated it! He's been cancer free for 20 years now you CAN beat it!!!!