Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been having a VERY bad couple of days, and I feel negative thoughts and feelings creeping in.

So, I'd LOVE to hear from folks who are 1 to 2 years post op, and for them to share their results so far: starting weight, months since surgery, weight lost so far... Etc..

I need to see some good news to help reenforce that I've made the right decision!

Thanks so much!! :) :)

I felt that same way for about three months. I wanted to reverse it. I couldn't believe how hard it was, my mind wanted to scream. I cursed every pound I lost wondering why I couldn't lose it on my own. One night I was screaming and crying on my bed and my daughter stood over me and said snap out of it! She put a Xanax in my mouth and said swallow I was a mess. I felt like my head was on someone else's body and I didn't know how to take care of it. It was overwhelming. You figure it out....I promise you!

It's been 8 months next week and I'm down almost 100 pounds. I'm seeing a difference and feeling better. I never thought I would say this but I would do it all over again to get to this point. You will get there too. Good Luck ❤️

"Buyer's Remorse" is common! I had the same thoughts, regretted it, wished I had a chance to "do it on my own" (yeah, hadn;t worked before!), all those things. I'm about 7 months out and those thoughts are gone! I feel great, I'm loving the energy I have now. I've lost about 75 pounds, I can actually cross my legs again!!!! I don't spend as much money on food anymore! Eventually you will come to realize this was a great decision. Just ride the waves of all the emotions, the ups and downs. I think we have all gone through some of this. Now, my biggest regret was that I waited so long to do this. If I had done it sooner, I could have either been down to my goal weight or I could have been even lower because I wouldn't have been as heavy to start with.

Life is good! Enjoy! Every day, try to think of at least one positive thought. About anything. And whenever a negative thought comes into your head. Recognize it, acknowledge it, and then replace it with another positive thought. Even if you have to fake it at first. Eventually it will be for real. Sometimes it's even just good to know how often the negative thoughts roll in.

ARe you in a support group? That might help to hear other people's take. Make sure to find one that is helpful, not where people are just venting.

Hi Carmen,

I hope that I can provide some inspiration. I am 13 months post op - my new life (RNY) began on June 25, 2013. When I began my journey in January, 2013, I weight 331 pounds - I am only 5'2". I am 49 years old and was not able to work out. I had high blood pressure and used a C-Pap for sleep apnea. I was moving toward diabetes, but was not there yet. My joints, however, were horrible. I could not walk for more than a few minutes at a time due to knee pain. I saw a chiropractor weekly to manage my knee and back pain.

Today I am at my goal weight - 127 pounds - that's 205 pounds lost!. I have a NORMAL BMI. I have never in my life woke up in the morning without the thought of how am I going to lose weight today. It is so very strange to be on maintenance! My RNY has been a nothing short of a miracle. I have tons of energy. I belong to the YMCA where I do Zumba, TurboKick, and BodyPump classes. I use the treadmill and elliptical trainer. I have absolutely no joint pain at all. My family traveled to the Black Hills of South Dakota over the Independence Day Holiday and we climbed to the top of Harney's Peak - the highest elevation East of the Rocky Mountains. I AM LIVING MY LIFE!! I am no longer watching from the sidelines as my family has fun - I am right there with them.

It has taken hard work, dedication, and determination. I won't say that it was easy - and I still struggle with my relationship with food. But living life in this body is SO much better that I am determined to NEVER go back to the prison my obese body was before.

If I can do this, anybody can!! Reach out for support here. There are terrific people here that helped me when I needed it. We are here for you!!

Carol

Edited by Baconville

Wow ladies, you are amazing and inspirational! Carol, your story starts out so much like mine! My starting weight is 317, I'm 54 y/o, and 5 ft. 4 in. The high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and knee pain are all familiar to me. I can't walk for very long and stairs are a real pain! So to hear about your success is truly inspiring to me! I'm pre-op RNY and hope to have my surgery in September. I'm excited and hopeful to have the kind of success you've had!

I just want to echo what Carol has said. There's nothing special about us. Or the countless others that have changed their lives following bariatric surgery. It's about commitment, hard work, determination and the realization that if you follow your plan, you cannot fail. We don't have any secrets. No super powers. Sometimes there are incredibly exciting victories - even when you've been in the maintenance stage for some time. And sometimes there are challenges, even when you've been in the maintenance stage for some time.

Defeating the disease of obesity is a lifetime commitment. Winning the battle, the victory of a lifetime!

Edited by DLCoggin

Wow ladies, you are amazing and inspirational! Carol, your story starts out so much like mine! My starting weight is 317, I'm 54 y/o, and 5 ft. 4 in. The high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and knee pain are all familiar to me. I can't walk for very long and stairs are a real pain! So to hear about your success is truly inspiring to me! I'm pre-op RNY and hope to have my surgery in September. I'm excited and hopeful to have the kind of success you've had!

Funny thing about stairs - I still find myself approaching the stairs, gripping the handrail and taking that first step down very carefully waiting for that knife stabbing pain. Then there is NO PAIN! I can actually RUN up AND DOWN stairs now. I still find it amazing!!

You will get there too. If you need any support along the way, send me a message. I have received so much help for the folks on this site, and I am happy to pay it forward.

Carol

Thank you so much for your replies. It's been a hard road for me so far. And I do find my emotions are up and down. I really think time will make things better. But in the meantime it's very difficult to not get down, especially when I'm still in the liquid phase. I'm just so tired of shakes, I feel like the end is nowhere in sight.

I've lost 23 pounds since July 11, so I can't complain. I just hope this works! I mean, logically I know it will, but there's still that "Fat Devil" sitting on my shoulder, telling me I've always failed in the last 10-12 years, and I always will.

The mental stuff is so hard to get over/through.

Thanks again, guys, and keep the stories comin'! I love it!!