Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back on track after a small splurge?

I have been banded since June 20, lost 40 lbs (20 pre op & 20 post op).

I went out to eat and shared a dinner with my husband of food that I have not been having at home few ribs, fries, slice of garlic bread and now I am right back to craving and wanting to eat too much too often.

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't understand why "cheating" once in a while is such a big problem for me. Is it just part of being addicted to food?

I don't have a fill yet but had been loosing nicely until this happened and have since been fighting cravings and gained two pounds this morning. I do realize that the big picture is what counts and for the month I have lost fine and most likely the doctor wont fill me still because I have lost a decent amount this month. My biggest question I guess is what do I do in the future on those times I must eat out. Do I just have to suffer through the withdrawals all over again or what does anyone else do that suffers from this?

Thanks for listening,

Colleen

@@Colleen C You had surgery to add a tool into your life to help you change your life style and adopt a new one right?

That said, if your Dr. did not fill you because of your weight loss to date then why did he help you get this tool if not to use it?

Can you over come your cravings? Sure we are powerful beings we can do anything we set our mind to. Will this be enough long term for you to change your habits? Probably not, if it was you would have done it already right?

So can you reset? Sure, take a second and go back to band basics reset your mind to get into band compliance again and then really discuss your hunger with your doctor.

If you are hungry after eating, or eating larger volumes of food more often that is what should dictate your need for a fill/no fill not only the amount of weight lost.

Great job on your loss so far you're doing great! What I'm about to say has taken me a year to come to grips with but one of the most important things we have to do is come to realization that this is NOT a diet. There are no such things as "cheats". It's all about moderation and balance, eating ribs and fries once in a while won't hurt you, I'm assuming you aren't able to eat the same amount of food you were prior to being banded right, this is the moderation side? That's why this tool is so wonderful. Now on for the balance side of what I've said you can't eat like this all the time, you still have to make sure you're making healthy choics 90% of the time. So regarding the additional cravings following your meal, yes that's normal, that's what food does to people who love it. That's why when I signed up to get this surgery I knew there were some foods that I had to give up forever not because I couldn't eat them but because they aren't good for me and they're trigger foods for me, I accepted that and moved on and honestly I don't miss them. I notice when I do have a treat that most of the time it doesnt taste nearly as good as I thought it would. Not sure if this is due to my concious or if I have just changed what I crave now. For instance I would rather have greek yogurt now with trail mix than a cookie or candy bar any day. I never would have said that before. So just strengthen your mind, keep your eyes on the prize and you will get through those cravings. Good luck to you!

Edited by enjoythetime

First, IT WAS ONE MEAL. Time to get right back on the wagon and move on. Put your mistake in the past. And yes, to answer your question, we are food addicts--just like the constant battle of other addicts, we will have to struggle our whole lives. The band makes it easier, but it will always be there.

Second, since you haven't had a fill yet, maybe it's time to talk to your doctor. That's what they are there for!!

Thirdly, when I eat out, I order carefully, decide beforehand how much/what I will eat. If I feel out of control, I ask for the box beforehand. I don't go to places I can't easily choose.

Lastly, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss so far! You're doing great! Stay on the path to success and you'll be to goal in no time.

Congrats Colleen! Your doing great..I went to cheddars the other night. I got a kids meal. I ate the hamburger Pattie and green Beans. Ribs sound delicious! Lol Dont beat your self up.