Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those of you in the "green zone" (at optimum fill-level for hunger control and weight loss) what is your daily calorie goal?

My surgeon initially told me 800-1,000 calories a day was goal, but I'm struggling to keep it below 1400 most days now.

800-1,000 seems really low to me.

I know I'm not in the green zone yet. I'm three months out, and still in bandster hell. I'm just looking for some general figures.

Have they always told you to eat 800-1,000 calories or have they lowered it with your weight loss? I started at 289lbs, and I was being yelled out because I was only able to eat 800 calories in the beginning and that's if I was lucky. They told me if I didn't beef it up to 1200 then I would hit a serious stall so I took their words to heart and have been averaging 1200 calories per day since about two months post-op. Some days I may only get 1,000 but other days I may eat 1300 so it all balances but I agree 800-1000 seems really low. In fact I'm still losing on 1200 cal. Maybe you shoud call them and just reconfirm. If you're excercising at all I would think your body would need more than this. Good luck and congrats!

Edited by enjoythetime

The 800-1000 goal was just mentioned once to me in passing.

My surgeon's office seems very unprofessional. When I go for my fills instead of asking how many calories I'm consuming/how often I'm working out or how many ounces of food I can eat at a time; they ask me "how many slices of pizza can you eat?" or "how many inches of a subway sandwich can you eat at once?"

I'm so frustrated. I was banded April 18 at 283 pounds, and I'm only down about 31 pounds with no weight loss at all in about 3 weeks.

And I'm hungry all the time. Like, ravenously hungry. Some of it is head hunger, but I know I don't have enough saline in my band. But it's nearly impossible to get in to my surgeon's office for a fill.

I'm considering switching to a different surgeons office for my fills.

My doctor's office has always stressed Protein intake... for me, they advise 1200 calories; but they insist that I have an adequate amount of protein first at each meal.

The 800-1000 goal was just mentioned once to me in passing.

My surgeon's office seems very unprofessional. When I go for my fills instead of asking how many calories I'm consuming/how often I'm working out or how many ounces of food I can eat at a time; they ask me "how many slices of pizza can you eat?" or "how many inches of a subway sandwich can you eat at once?"

I'm so frustrated. I was banded April 18 at 283 pounds, and I'm only down about 31 pounds with no weight loss at all in about 3 weeks.

And I'm hungry all the time. Like, ravenously hungry. Some of it is head hunger, but I know I don't have enough saline in my band. But it's nearly impossible to get in to my surgeon's office for a fill.

I'm considering switching to a different surgeons office for my fills.

Your doctor is seriously falling flat on their end of the deal!!! If it were me I wouldn't give them another dime or day of my life, I would find a doctor who's going to work with you to achieve your desired success!! You deserve it! Based on what you've said I think your body needs more calories, maybe you do need a fill but before you get one I would consider bumping your calories up a little in the form of more Protein and monitor how you're feeling. In the meantime find a new doctor!! This seriously infuriates me!

Can I ask you what a typical day looks like for you in regards to food intake? What are you eating for Breakfast, lunch, dinner, Snacks?

How much Protein are you getting?

What are your portion sizes?

I'm by no means a doctor but would like to help if I can.

Edited by enjoythetime

I have a problem getting enough calories...I think that's why I've only lost 12 lbs. So hard to do with everything going on in my life plus I'm just not hungry.

I appreciate the help. Today I ate

Breakfast - egg mcmuffin

lunch - 1 baked pork chop, steamed spinach, 1 large banana

Dinner- homemade taco salad (lean ground beef, black Beans, lettuce, Tomato, homeade salsa and a bit of shredded cheese)

Snack- fiberone 90 calorie bar

Total calories approx 1300.

According to myfitnesspal I got about 60g Protein, which is higher than my usual Protein intake; but otherwise today was a typical day. I was hungry from about 10am until I ate dinner at 6:30. I only drink Water and crystal light. No liquid calories.

I also go to the gym 4 days a week. I had a knee injury so I will not be doing anything high impact for a few more weeks, but I do a lot of strength training and try to stay active.

I appreciate the help. Today I ate

Breakfast - egg mcmuffin

lunch - 1 baked pork chop, steamed spinach, 1 large banana

Dinner- homemade taco salad (lean ground beef, black Beans, lettuce, Tomato, homeade salsa and a bit of shredded cheese)

Snack- fiberone 90 calorie bar

Total calories approx 1300.

According to myfitnesspal I got about 60g Protein, which is higher than my usual Protein intake; but otherwise today was a typical day. I was hungry from about 10am until I ate dinner at 6:30. I only drink Water and crystal light. No liquid calories.

I also go to the gym 4 days a week. I had a knee injury so I will not be doing anything high impact for a few more weeks, but I do a lot of strength training and try to stay active.

These are just my initial thoughts and recommendations.

The most important thing to always make sure youre getting your protein in. It helps you stay fuller longer and is the most important. You did that today so great job. My doctor recommends 60-80g per day. So make sure you fall in this range everday.

Try skipping the mcmuffin. I've given up all bread except for the ocassional slice of wheat toast. You don't have to but one thing to remember is when you're properly adjusted you may find it doesn't go down so well. Some people do fine others have issues it all depends on the person. If you eliminated that you're calories will be lower and you'll get rid of the empty carbs which will help move you along quicker.

Maybe instead of a large banana do some watermelon, grapes or strawberries etc. The resson: Bananas contain the highest amount of calories and carbs of any fruit.< /p>

Some alternatives for snacks: 100 cal dannon light greek yogurt (13g p), or 1-2 oz of cheese approx (7g p per oz), or if you're short on protein Quest makes awesome Protein Bars approx 160 cal and 20g p.

dinner looks great!

Some additional pointers:

Make sure each meal contains 3-4oz of protein, 1/2 c veggies and 1 serving of starch (if you still have room)

Always always eat your protein first, then your veggies and if you do this I bet you'll find most of the time you don't have room for the starch.

Make sure you're not drinking while you eat and wait 1 hour after eating before drinking.

Make sure yoyre not drinking your calories. Watrr, crystal light and iced tea is what I live on. Make sure ypure getting 80oz a day of fluids.

I think if you make these small modifications you'll find that your calories are in the 1200 range, your carb intake will be lower and you'll be able to hit your protein range everday.

These are just suggestions. I also have recipies I can send you if you're interested let me know and ill message you.

Hope this helps!

Edited by enjoythetime

@@enjoythetime, I'd love some healthy recipes.

My surgeons office actually recommends that I eat carbs. He says that carbs help you stay full longer and slow food passage through the band. In fact the only dietary restrictions they have me on is no sugary sweets and no liquid calories. They actually recommend that I eat normal foods, thus the egg mcmuffin. It has about 300 calories and keeps me full for a few hours.

That being said, I've always been a bit suspicious of my surgeon's "diet plan" and I'm totally willing to cut out carbs in order to be successful. So I would appreciate any recipes a you may want to send my way.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Have you heard of Shirataki noodles? No carbs and 20 calories per 1/2 cup. You make a nice hearty meaty red sauce with the spaghetti noodles or an Alfredo sauce with chicken or shrimp with the fettuccine noodles. I love them! They keep you full for a very long time. If your local grocery doesn't carry them, you can order them from Amazon.

And I am in the green zone finally. Second month. Down 18 lbs in 2 months. Before green zone, I was stalled for several months.

I quit counting calories about 3 months after surgery....been in the green zone since 5-6 months after surgery....

My approach is, and has been, to eat normally, just a lot less than before surgery. And of course there are foods I will never be able to eat again with the band......and since I eat so little I make the best of what I do eat by choosing the best, nutritional foods I can, with Protein first on my mind....

And I am not afraid to enjoy things dieters would never dream of eating....or drinking.

Edited by B-52

I'd be miserable if I had to count calories.

I'm GREEN and the only thing I count is four hours intervals just to be continually FREAKED OUT about how punctual my band is.