Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day-to-Day Changes

Hello all. I'm 9 months out from surgery. I had my fifth fill on June 25th so I'm at 6.50cc. I seem to be one, like others I've read about here, who can only get down a Protein Shake in the morning, something mushy for lunch, and most times, a cup of food at dinner. What I've been doing while at work is making one of those cup of noodle things but I pour off all the liquid (and, hopefully, all of the sodium) and just have the noodles for lunch. I often hear people say they can't eat Pasta but I can, though I am careful to just have the one cup size for lunch. For dinner, it's often a crap shoot as to what and how much I can eat. Sometimes, I can have a good sized salad with a Protein (tuna, turkey meatball, etc). Other times, just a bite or two before my band starts making sounds. But, the weight is coming off and I feel great. What I'm finding though, is that my band seems to fluctuate on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes I can eat a good amount one day and other days, even coffee seems like it gets stuck because I get that old 'circling the drain' sound when I take a drink. I guess my question is that I wonder if other people have that with their bands. Can some of you eat pretty decent one day and then the next, struggle to get even liquid down? This sure is a learning experience. You'd think I'd know how this all works after 9 months but I'm still trying to figure things out. Thanks!

I am still pre-op but with all the research and googling and browsing I have done, it seems like some people feel their band is tighter in the morning and at certain times on other days. I found this tid bit of information as I listened to various segments of a vlog by bandedwendy on youtube. She describes times when she feels tighter than others. You might take a look at some of her segments. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY7CuDd3xtv5i9S2X7w8rzg

Hi KAB, I'm just a month behind you (banded early November) and also find that my days really vary as far as what I can or feel like eating. One thing is steady -- I don't do Breakfast as I'm just not hungry in the mornings and, like many, I feel more restriction then. I don't do very many Protein Shakes but when I do there is a lot of variation there -- it can be harder for me to swallow cold full liquids than to eat something. (I put a lot of frozen fruit in my shakes and chia seeds, etc.). I can always chug waterm tea, etc. If I'm stressed, like at a business lunch or feeling social pressure, I can't eat. I should just order Soup for those occasions. At home I eat a small portion of whatever the family is having, minus the rice, etc. On days when I'm thinking about food in a certain way or feel hungry a couple of hours after eating I wonder if I'm ready for another fill. Still sort of assessing that all the time. I love my band and am getting used to the new lifestyle and the new energy I have -- I guess part of that will be about the listening on a day to day basis. If I'm hungry I eat, if I'm not I don't. My life is so much simpler now!

Thanks, blacktxbelle. I have watched bandedwendy videos but I don't recall one where she talks about this. I'll check it out. And, good luck with your surgery! I'm very happy I did it but it has been a learning process for sure. 9 months out and I still have questions. I could have had a baby by now! :-)

Bandista - I'm with you. So glad I did this and learning as I go. You're doing great. I see from your stats you crossed over into onederland. Yay for you!! I have 4 pounds to go until I get there. I know we're not supposed to compare ourselves to others but you've lost more than I have in about the same timeframe. I was 233 on the day of surgery (lost 11 on preop diet) and I'm at 204 now so that's only a loss of 29 pounds. My doctor agreed that was sort of a tad on the low end after 8 months, so that's why he added more about a month ago. Better than a gain though which is what I would be doing if I didn't have the band.

Oh most definitely. My band has a mind of it's own. Everyday is a new adventure. I never know how much I will eat each day. However, I have NEVER had a problem with drinking except when I was too tight and that was over a year and a half ago when I was still seeing my doc on the regular. Next month will be a year since my last fill and I feel great. Some days I just stick to liquids when I'm feeling a little tighter than usual. Most days I have liquids for breakfast and have lunch and dinner. And then there are those rare days that well I eat from the time I get up until late evening. It's like I'm starving. Grant it when I say eat I'm talking Protein. I love meat so I'll usually eat on chicken all day literally. LOL As much as I love salads I've noticed lately my body not taking too kindly to the roughage of lettuce so I eat broccoli, cooked carrots, etc. But for some reason this past week, I've been craving omelets like you wouldn't believe. So I prepare one egg with Tomato, onion, and cheese and that literally has been keeping me full all day. I usually eat that around 11:30 to 12 noon central standard time. So yes, it is a learning experience and when you pay really close attention to what the band is saying to you (hypothetically), you guys can make it and you will lose weight. Good luck and continued success on this crazy weight loss journey.

Just went on a mini vacation for a few days at Nags Head NC. Wow, from Thursday through Saturday, I couldn't eat much at all. I kept ordering things when we were out but I wasn't able to eat more than a bite or two before my band started talking to me (and I mean that gurgling, circling the drain sound). I must be getting used to the band because it really didn't bother me too much that I missed out on all the food I normally would have over-indulged in. Such a major part of my past vacations had to do with eating! I was a little bummed I couldn't take part in the seafood buffet at Captain George's but luckily, I could order a small bowl of clam chowder off the menu, though I couldn't eat much. But, I got home yesterday and last night, I was able to eat a fairly good sized salad and 3 shrimp. I guess it's a crap shoot on any given day. Unfortunately, I have found a bad food that I am able to tolerate on those days when the band is very tight. Cheese-Puffs. They practically dissolve in my mouth and satisfy me on those days when I'm not eating much. That's my shameful confession. I did lose a few pounds over the vacation and find myself now 1.5 pounds away from onederland. Lady VS, sounds like what happens to me on any given day bandwise isn't so unusual.