Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting very nervous. Afraid of complications. How often do complications happen? It's not the norm is it? I had a friend call and say "do you really want to do this?"

Relax! Breathe! I don't think complications are the norm. I think we just hear about all the complications and that makes it seem like it happens all the time. I think most surgeries go off without a hitch. Try to relax and if you're still worried about it, maybe talk to your surgeon. They can probably reassure you and make you feel more confident.

Casey999 I think many times complications are often related to not following all the instructions carefully. I am a nurse but not in this field at all. I did a lot of research and complications were related to not getting enough fluids, not getting up walking soon enough (causing clots or pneumonia)or not eating the appropriate foods (causing leaks). Everything has to be reported as a complication whether is was for a reason that was brought on or just by chance so the rates look at little higher than other surgeries. Also, many complications come from patients that have other serious health concerns like heart problems, blood flow concerns etc. If you do not have these complications you should do just fine as long as you follow the instructions carefully. If you do have any of these complications just make sure to be very honest about any symptoms to your doc during your per-op and make sure that he/she has done a thorough review of any issues.

I am 6 days post-op and no complications at all to this point. Got up walking as soon as I could and have stuck 100% to the diet they have given me. Taking care of my wounds as they instructed.

I think you will do well :)

Thanks ladies. You are both right. I did research this and still decided to do it. I have to stop being a baby!

I agree not all complications reported are technically complications. I am a nurse too and Im in my 6 month waiting period for hopefully nov/dec. I havent too many people because of the negative comments. People tend to focus on the negative especially when they arent educated on the subject. Keep positive throughout the process and surround yourself with positive people and it will go well. Mind over body is a powerful tool. Good luck!

I am going through the same thing. I was so sure I could do this, my surgery is 8 days away. Then, by chance, I met a nurse on the surgery floor at the hospital I'll be having the surgery who tried to talk me out of going through with it. She told me all these stories of complications, perforations, etc. She seems to believe a majority of patients end up with complications, at least in her experience. She has me scared to death now. Not just of complications from the immediate surgery, but future complications as well. I know it's what I want/need to do, but now I'm worried that the medical problems down the road will make my life miserable. More than it is now. I don't want to just lose weight, I want to be healthy. Now I worry that I could end up with worse health problems than I'm trying to be rid of and avoid.

CrashNCamsMom, I can't believe a nurse would do that to you! That's very unprofessional behavior! Of course complications happen from time to time, but I truly believe that's the rare occurrence. You've made up your mind to do this, now you have to have faith in your surgeon. If you don't, it might be a good idea to talk to your surgeon again or something. I'm just really disappointed in that nurse.

Ive had nurses that are friends of mine tell me the same things. My response is that they dont see the success stories and the complications are just a fraction of success stories. Ive talked to my Dr. and dietician and they both said the same thing. They only see the complications. I would guess the complications of being obese are higher.

I thought I was prepared for this kind of "trying to talk you out of it" discussion. I definitely need to speak to my doctor or surgeon before I make any rash decisions. Is it normal to be this afraid?

Sorry, I think the way I phrased my post mislead u. I felt the same way u felt after talking to my friends who are nurses. When I talked to my Dr. and dietician they made me feel better by saying that nurses only see the complications and not the successes which can be a one sided opinion. I know many that have had success and I am also a nurse. Good luck! :)

The complicated ones stick in your mind the most. I saw a lot of perforated bowls working the blood bank from colonoscopies. But was it really a lot or did those just stick in my mind the most? How many were successful that I never saw? Things happen. That's why who the doctor is is very important. They will monitor you very closely and any sign of trouble get you back into the hospital.

I think I just had a moment of panic due to surgery being so close. Coming on here and also talking with friends and my surgeons office, I feel much better now. So thank you :-) it's all just overwhelming.