Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band slipped and esophagus elonggated

I am a compliant bandster. I have done well. when I had a fill on Feb. 14th I was having some trouble with sliming and pb'ing. I worked on this as I knew sometimes it takes time for your stoma to come around to the restriction. my problem didn't go away and I started to suffer reflux really bad. I told both my pcp and wls . both recommended and prescribed me medication. I did exactly what I was supposed to do. The mistake I made was when it got worse I thought I was having heart trouble. I had so much pain in my chest that over the 4th of july weekend I was popping nitro for chest pain. I could see my heart pound by just looking down. I went and saw my pcp who had me do a few tests for my heart. all were as they were in march. so I made a appointment with my wls. she sent me for a emergency barium swallow. my band had slipped but worse yet my esophagus has stretched length wise. the xray showed over 20 spasms, that's how much pain I was in. I now have a empty band, on a 2 week liquid diet, than 2wks of soft and 2 wks of 5 regular meals a day for 2 wks. I am angry, sad depressed and so mad at myself for not paying more attention to what was happening. I was losing wt. and that's all that mattered to me. so my message to everyone if you go to the doctor with a concern step up and demand a barium swallow to be sure everything is okay. reflux is not okay. pain in your chest is not okay. a lot of sliming and pb'ing is not okay especially when you know you are chewing, eating correctly. I knew in my gut that what was happening wasn't normal but the wt. was coming off and I didn't want it to stop. Stupid brain. now I have to be extremely careful during this period of time so I don't gain some wt. back. going through bandster hell again is just plain hell. but I can drink my liquid without reflux and I still have some spasms but not nearly as I did before the band was deflated. please pray that I can keep my band. my wonderful band. besides healing I want my band.

WOW so sorry this has happened,,,,but it shows it can happen to anyone with the band....

Did your Dr. give any suggestions as to why it may have happened???

I find it noteworthy, that whenever anything like this happens to anyone, the Dr. will give a complete un-fill.....to give everything a rest and let things return to normal.....

For me, the only thing I do for band Maintenance...if such a phase after success even exists....is go full liquids for 2-3 days, every 5-8 weeks or so, or when I feel subtle changes to my eating habits....

Again, to give everything a rest and let it all return to normal.

The alternative, and this is my belief, is that I could do nothing and wait for something to happen such as what you are unfortunately experiencing, and be forced to give the band a extended rest by getting all the Fluid taken out.

Some call this a 5 day pouch test, which I don't get...there is no testing involved....

@@terrydumont46 I'm sorry you are having troubles friend!! I'm keeping the faith for you that everything will be OK after this and the band will remain for you.

I also want to say Thank you for sharing your story, it helps all of us to know and understand the realities of what could happen with the band.

@@B-52 I think when they say test for the 5 day pouch test it's more of a "tolerance" type thing and I think it originated for those who have a pouch like with the bypass. For us bandsters I think of it like a kind of a "reset" and I do that on occasion as well. Not because I am having any kind of reflux or intolerance to foods but just to "reset" and regain my focus. When I feel myself getting off track, indulging in too many sweets or high carb slider foods, I know I need to get back on track so I go back to the basics.

Oh gosh, @@terrydumont46! I'm so sorry this happened to you! It sounds horrible. I want to thank you also for sharing with us. It's good to hear others' experiences so we know what to look for and what to beware of. I'm thinking it's probably time for me to do one of those 5 day pouch tests too. I know it'll be hard having to go through bandster hell again, but you can do it! You did get to keep your band and I'll be praying that all works out well after you get through this whole process. Just hang in there! :)

terrydumont46 I am keeping u in my prayers sweetie!!! All will be well!!!

Thank you everyone. so far so good. getting up in the morning just because I woke up and not having acid refluxing is great. so I am now looking at the good things. support here is the greatest. love all of you

Terry,

I a newly banded and learning about the experiences we must pay attention to. I thank you for posting what was going on with you. I like that you shared what we should not view as normal. I am really hoping you get to keep your band.

Wow! Terry, I sure hate to hear that. Barium swallows are very important. Praying you can keep your band and can continue to lose weight. Many blessings to you.

Praying for you as well.

I had a similar experience without the elonggated esophogus. I was pb'ing in the middle of the night in my sleep, I woke up one time and vommited slime all over my bed, coughing and couldn't catch my breath, I've never been so scared and knew immediately that something was terribly wrong. I called the next day and got in to see the doctor. (Everytime we go in they make us drink the barium) and that's when he told me it slipped. Took all the Fluid out and I had to go back in 4 weeks with hope that it would return to the correct position - unfortunately it did not and I still do not have any Fluid, that was 3 months ago. Now I'm waiting for surgery at the end of August to have it removed and either have a new one put in or have the sleeve (which I'm leaning towards). I have loved my band everyday for 5 years and don't know what when wrong or why it slipped. I hope you get to keep yours and that everything works out for you - Good Luck!!!

Terry how are you doing? Been thinking about you!!!