Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I All - I have links to two research studies that folks here on BP will find interesting. Where do they go? I thought there was a forum for research. But now

I can't find it...it's been hot here in sunny Mountain View, Ca (full disclosure : it's only been 80 degrees) and my mind is melting (I'm a weather wimp).

For now

Here is a link to a study that looks at the metabolic advantages of three major WLS: band, vsg and RnY. Super interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3410227/

Somebody posted this link in a thread and i couldn't find it again - so thank you! I think it is a great article and should be read by people considering WLS. I am 2.5 years out from a revision band to sleeve and that article made so much sense based on my experience.

Band (when filled) - I had a very small food capacity but I couldn't tolerate the reflux. I also honestly couldn't tolerate the very small capacity either and it drove me toward sliders (my responsibility not blaming the band). When I revised to the sleeve I was surprised that eating was so much easier say 3 months out then it ever was with the band. I didn't think about it that I could eat more quantity /capacity then I had with a filled band but it is true. I think for me that is one reason I have been so much more compliant with the sleeve, I can eat salads and veggies and dense Protein without feeling discomfort or pain. I get an "absence of hunger" sensation after pretty small quantities, but still more than I could consume with a filled band.

I had the band for 10 years, most of that time with "no fill" due to my issues with it.

I think that might explain why some people do really well with the band and struggle with the sleeve after revision because you can eat more.

Anyway, there is alot more to the content of this article, but that particular piece fit my experience.

They gave rats little sleeves and lapbands....awe!

I read through the whole article and found the research on the band to be kinda vague compared to the sleeve and bypass. Seems like they are making assumptions due to lack of specific research on the band. From my limited experience... I can say my cravings and tastes have definitely changed with the band. I am still able to eat meats and raw vegetables with a 5cc fill. I find myself wanting healthy food as opposed to junk. I have more energy than before. Perhaps I am an exception with this experience? I've read studies where the weight loss with the band matches the sleeve and bypass patients long term...meaning it takes band patients a little longer to lose, but in the end we all end up at similar goals. A lot of these studies only look a year out. I honestly think it is an individual preference...one surgery might be better than another depending on the person. Hoping more long term studies are done to help people with their decisions on all forms of surgery. I found it all confusing and contradictory when I was researching my options. Bands have been redesigned, techniques on all the surgeries have improved. So I went with my gut...no pun intended...and so far, I feel I made the right decision. I also think the surgeon, and support system afterwards make a big difference, as well a person's attitude going in. It's surprising they can't analyze more human subjects and have to resort to rats...I mean, how many people have had surgery in the past 10 years? I'd be willing to answer questions about my diet, carvings, etc...give blood samples, or what ever else, if it would help them understand how to best tackle obesity. I kinda feel we are all guinea pigs right now, anyway.

Somebody posted this link in a thread and i couldn't find it again - so thank you! I think it is a great article and should be read by people considering WLS. I am 2.5 years out from a revision band to sleeve and that article made so much sense based on my experience. Band (when filled) - I had a very small food capacity but I couldn't tolerate the reflux. I also honestly couldn't tolerate the very small capacity either and it drove me toward sliders (my responsibility not blaming the band). When I revised to the sleeve I was surprised that eating was so much easier say 3 months out then it ever was with the band. I didn't think about it that I could eat more quantity /capacity then I had with a filled band but it is true. I think for me that is one reason I have been so much more compliant with the sleeve, I can eat salads and veggies and dense Protein without feeling discomfort or pain. I get an "absence of hunger" sensation after pretty small quantities, but still more than I could consume with a filled band. I had the band for 10 years, most of that time with "no fill" due to my issues with it. I think that might explain why some people do really well with the band and struggle with the sleeve after revision because you can eat more. Anyway, there is alot more to the content of this article, but that particular piece fit my experience.

Hey Cowgirl. I posted the article both times - you are so welcome! I have always wanted the sleeve so I read the article from the perspective of what am I getting in addition to restriction? I had a fear that if all one got was restriction it wasn't going to be enough. I was thrilled when I read about the metabolic advantages of the vsg and RnY. I truthfully didn't pay much attention to the band science because it wasn't a good fit for me. I know some people do well with the band - it just wasn't for me. And if you combine this study with the vsg study about bile acid increase directly turning on the genetic switch for weight loss ... I'm sold.

Also, the other responder noted the study was vague on the band. I'm not surprised; these studies are being done because everyone is looking for New weight loss drugs. Thanks!