Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

plateau for 4 months with no weight loss. Considering HCG?

I underwent RNY on 12/31/13. I started off at 219lbs. Day of surgery, weighed in at 209. Lost weight consistently for the first three months and have been at a plateau ever since. I went to my 3 month appt late (so in May) because I was embarrassed at my low amount of weight loss. I was down 40 lbs from when it all started. Doctor was pleased but I was/am frustrated. I journaled, ate appropriate number of Protein grams, liquids, exercised, and still can't lose the weight. I went in on 5/12 to be exact and I still have not lost weight.

I am now considering the HCG diet, since that is also a very low calorie diet. I am so frustrated. I currently weigh 177 and I can't keep losing. The surgeon wants me to get to 131lbs.

Any suggestions, assistance would be greatly apprecited. Good news is that I no longer have sleep apnea or diabetes. I know overall I have lost a good amount of weight, but I am frustrated that I do everything right and have not lost anything since March, 2014 (except the 2 lbs that fluctuate).

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hailey50_0

I'd suggest going back to your surgeon and NUT and going back to the basics. After having something as drastic as WLS, why would you want to go after another snake-oil quick fix that hasn't been proven to work?

If you get back to the basics of Protein first, very limited carbs, you can be successful with the surgery. Go back to your surgeon, be honest with them and get a plan together. They want to see you succeed as much as you want to!

Best wishes!

Hailey I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble losing weight. Instead of avoiding your surgeon due to embarrassment about your lack of weight loss, you should contact the surgeon to have tests run to make sure everything is ok. There could be something wrong. I pray that nothing is wrong and that your situation changes. Please do not give up.

Hailey, how many calories are you getting in? My surgery was the 17th of March, I started at 217 and I'm down to 159. I stopped loosing for a while until I increased my calorie intake to between 1000 and 1200. My body was essentially in starvation mode therefore it quick burning calories/fat. Once I increased the intake I started loosing again. I'm hoping to be down 60 on my 4 month anniversary, that leaves 2 lbs in 3 days. :\

Thanks soooo much for all of your comments and suggestions! sugar free me, what's your typical day of food look like? I'm getting in about 1000 calories per day.

Dear All,

I am in the same situation, I was 410 lbs when I started and banded @ 390 lbs reached 295 lbs 4 months and went back to 315 lbs now my current weight is 304 lbs with 3 weeks of stick diet and 2-3 hrs workouts hence I have only 3 months left for my wedding and I want reach 250 lbs by that time hence I am starting HCG Diet next week and will post soon about everything I will go through.

FYI, I can now do 5K, 10K and shit load of cross-fit, I am one of the healthiest person @ work in terms of heart rate, flexibility and endurance. I have 30 % body fat left hence my target of 220 lbs its reasonable considering BF leftover by that time should be 10-15%.

After talking to couple trainers and dietitian they believe that my metabolism is not working fast as it should be due to prolonged low-cal diet my body has adjusted to live on low-cal diet of 1000-1500 hence I should try this to re-boot my metabolism so now spending $795 for HCG diet which comes with regular visits to dietitian and body compositions measurements etc.. which they say can help reboot my metabolism through HCG hormone !

Lets cross fingers and see if this last resort helps as otherwise my surgeon told me to have skin surgery for loose skin as I and my family are not in favor of going under a surgery for skin at this point.