Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checking in...18 months post op

Hi everyone! I don't come around as much as I used to (Or should!!!), but I wanted to pop in and post an update on how I am doing. I am about 18 months post op. My highest weight was 206, and my lowest weight was 112. I reached goal of 125 lbs about 10 months after surgery, but I continued to lose. I have regained a little (I needed to, my butt disappeared). I'm at about 118-119 lbs right now. I'm wearing a size 2 in most brands. I wish I could say that I know the road ahead looks easy, but it doesn't at all. I will have to kick and fight my way ahead if I want to maintain this weight. I don't really rely on "restriction" much anymore. I can't eat as much as I could before surgery, but believe me, I can still put the food away! Just takes a little longer. :) since I was trying to regain a little, I wasn't watching my intake as much, and am pretty shocked sometimes at the amount I can eat. I did recently (two months ago) come off of my birth control (May get back on it), but I notice my appetite is pretty intense right before my period and I'm also able to eat more during this time (less restriction). Not sure why, but it is noticeable. Junk food is so easy to eat. So easy. And actually all food is pretty easy for me...I never had any issues eating anything. To this day I can eat bread and Pasta without a second thought. Nothing makes me sick. I haven't weighed my portions in a while, I'm at a point where I can eyeball things. If I were to guess, I'd say I can eat 8 ounces Protein and a side. But I get hungry very quickly. Usually within an hour I am hungry again, regardless of what I eat. It must go through my system so much faster than before surgery. Because even before surgery, my last meal stayed with me longer than it does now. The full feeling I have now isn't the same feeling as it was right after surgery or even at a year post op. Instead of a really painful pressure, like not a single bite more will fit, it's now kind of like just a normal full feeling similar to before surgery (but of course I reach that feeling sooner now). I'm not sure if it's because I've learned to stop eating at the right time, but I think it's more that my stomach has relaxed a lot and this is just how it is now. I do miss the painful restriction feeling. I'm still glad I chose to have the surgery. It wasn't easy but it's been rewarding and at the end of the day I can't sit down and eat an entire large pizza anymore, and I think that's a very great thing. ;) I hope you all are doing well!! - jenny

Congratulations on 18 months Jenny 12!

Keep on rockin' that sleeve . . .

So glad you posted. I am almost 18 months out and am experiencing the same as you. I had no idea how easy regain can be or how hard maintenance would be.

Hi everyone! I don't come around as much as I used to (Or should!!!), but I wanted to pop in and post an update on how I am doing. I am about 18 months post op. My highest weight was 206, and my lowest weight was 112. I reached goal of 125 lbs about 10 months after surgery, but I continued to lose. I have regained a little (I needed to, my butt disappeared). I'm at about 118-119 lbs right now. I'm wearing a size 2 in most brands. I wish I could say that I know the road ahead looks easy, but it doesn't at all. I will have to kick and fight my way ahead if I want to maintain this weight. I don't really rely on "restriction" much anymore. I can't eat as much as I could before surgery, but believe me, I can still put the food away! Just takes a little longer. :) since I was trying to regain a little, I wasn't watching my intake as much, and am pretty shocked sometimes at the amount I can eat. I did recently (two months ago) come off of my birth control (May get back on it), but I notice my appetite is pretty intense right before my period and I'm also able to eat more during this time (less restriction). Not sure why, but it is noticeable. Junk food is so easy to eat. So easy. And actually all food is pretty easy for me...I never had any issues eating anything. To this day I can eat bread and Pasta without a second thought. Nothing makes me sick. I haven't weighed my portions in a while, I'm at a point where I can eyeball things. If I were to guess, I'd say I can eat 8 ounces Protein and a side. But I get hungry very quickly. Usually within an hour I am hungry again, regardless of what I eat. It must go through my system so much faster than before surgery. Because even before surgery, my last meal stayed with me longer than it does now. The full feeling I have now isn't the same feeling as it was right after surgery or even at a year post op. Instead of a really painful pressure, like not a single bite more will fit, it's now kind of like just a normal full feeling similar to before surgery (but of course I reach that feeling sooner now). I'm not sure if it's because I've learned to stop eating at the right time, but I think it's more that my stomach has relaxed a lot and this is just how it is now. I do miss the painful restriction feeling. I'm still glad I chose to have the surgery. It wasn't easy but it's been rewarding and at the end of the day I can't sit down and eat an entire large pizza anymore, and I think that's a very great thing. ;) I hope you all are doing well!! - jenny

That is awesome! You have rocked your sleeve and had the success people dream about when they have the surgery. And despite your hunger, ability to eat more, and ability to eat anything you are maintaining your loss. Impressive!

A couple things I think of: maybe you should try measuring some chicken breast ahead to see if you are really eating 8 ozs and a side. That is an unusual portion for a sleever, it makes me think that either your estimation might be off or that you've had some stretching.

Also, I think with eating Protein and your rapid return of hunger you could consider: reflux presenting as hunger (even if on a PPI it could be the wrong PPI or the wrong dose), or rapid gastric emptying, or head hunger, and undoubtedly there are other options too. Even that far out those are issues that can crop up or become increasingly problematic.

Those were just some random thoughts that came to mind when I read your post! I don't think you were looking for advice so much as just letting everyone know what 18 months out looks like (and for you 18 months looks awesome) - whether or not those things are helpful for you I thought it was worth mentioning...

Totally agree about reflux pretending to be hunger.

I would bet I'm still carrying at least 25 pounds right now that I gained one terrible winter before I found out I needed a PPO.

You've done great and your post illustrates why maintenance is a who new ball game sometimes. I do want to comment about "full". My NUT stressed to me that eating to absence of hunger rather than aiming for "full" is a key long term strategy. I am only 2.5 years post op so only time will tell but I never seek that "I am so full I can't have one more bite" feeling. It is like retraining my brain about how it should feel when it's time to stop eating.

thanks for that update post...I also haven't been around here for a while...I am almost 15 months post-op so don't really consider myself a veteran yet..lol...I am disappointed in myself, because I haven't lost any weight since around November...didn't do great around the holidays and have had some medical issues the past couple of months which have made me almost house bound...I hope to make it through all of that in the next couple of weeks and rededicate myself to reaching--or at least getting closer to--my goal weight...until I had these recent health setbacks, I was actually doing quite well with my diabetes control (not so much these last couple of months)...I am praying to get that back in control as that was more of a motivation for me to have the surgery than the weight loss itself...I hope all are doing well and would love to hear some more updates--especially from my fellow May 2013 sleevers :)

I'll agree that maintenance is not an easy road! Seriously!!! I have discovered that the brain does not GET IT! LOL At four years out, I still sit down with more food on my plate than I can eat and still don't comprehend it! You'd think by now that I would KNOW that!

I'd think also that I could control that carb demon that wants to take over my eatinly plan! Nope!

It is a daily uphill battle for me, personally. I'll admit that I don't always succeed in my Quest but just had my four year appointment and was 5 pounds BELOW goal. Of course, a few months ago I was 10 pounds below goal! Am I concerned? No. I know that I will continue to fight this battle. But remember, folks - THIN PEOPLE GAIN AND LOSE AND FIGHT THE BATTLE TOO!

It's all good - very good! From 250 to 150. I'll take it - oh, and my Dr. was ecstatic and all blood work normal!

Totally agree about reflux pretending to be hunger. I would bet I'm still carrying at least 25 pounds right now that I gained one terrible winter before I found out I needed a PPO.

I have acid reflux. I'm not aware of a link between reflux and a feeling of hunger.