Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Yesterday, after I got my fill, I could hardly drink water.....I described it as feeling like a loaf of bread had been shoved down my throat. Today, I'm wide open and hungry. Crap.

I can relate! My doctor called it a "cheater" fill. The next one will be better, and the one after that, etc.... hang in, and see how soon you can get your next one!

---Toni

marga-i totally relate...my kids fighting sends me to the cookie box (used to anyway). Hang in there.

i had been feeling some restrictions for the first three weeks after surgery. well, all that is gone now. i am starving. some is head hunger, i know...but some of it is real hunger. and my fill is still 6 weeks away. and then i still won't feel a lot of restriction, if any ( i have been reading your fill posts).

i did email my docs office about the date of my fill. no response yet. ugh.

okay, i vented...promise to be more positive next post!

Suddenly in the last two days I am not starving, but I've been able to eat a LOT more than I could prior. I guess it's time for a fill! I called and scheduled my fill for next week (my previous appt wasn't for 3 1/2 weeks out). I'm petrified of returning to my old ways!

About sleep - we're going on about a week now that I haven't been sleeping properly. I'm exhausted. I took some post-op pain meds to help me sleep last night, but it was crappy sleep and I overslept an hour this morning (so not like me). UGH what to do!!

Once in a while i get a back pain in the middle of my back, I think it due to dehydration. When i feel the pain I make sure I start drinking my liquids and the pain goes away after I get down 30-40 oz. Does this happen to anyone else? I use to have no problem getting down liquids before my band, I would just chugg 20 oz. How much can you drink at one time and how long should i wait before drinking more? It's hard to get all the liquids you need if you are not to drink 30 min prior and then 2 hrs after you eat. How is it possible?

I've been dehydrated a LOT too, although my doctor says to wait 1/2 hr after eating to drink again. I find at night if I'm really dehydrated I force myself to drink 16+ ounces of something in less than an hour before I go to bed. It's hard, but if I don't do it then by morning I'm in horrible shape.

I was told not to eat during, or a half hour after a meal.

2 Hours after seems like a long time.

I am able to drink as much as I want. The dr. Said the band would not affect my liquid intake, just the food.< /p>

I can guzzle down Water with no problem.

Anybody eating Protein bars? If so what is your favorite, and what is the calorie/protein content.......

I don't do the protein bars, but I HAVE to start my morning with a FiberOne bar!!Its the only thing that help the bathroom issue. Haha. I know I over-share. Seriously though, ever since surgery my bowels haven't been the same. I go from one extreme to the other, and trust me, I get PLENTY of Water. I'm a friggin camel!

Once in a while i get a back pain in the middle of my back, I think it due to dehydration. When i feel the pain I make sure I start drinking my liquids and the pain goes away after I get down 30-40 oz. Does this happen to anyone else? I use to have no problem getting down liquids before my band, I would just chugg 20 oz. How much can you drink at one time and how long should i wait before drinking more? It's hard to get all the liquids you need if you are not to drink 30 min prior and then 2 hrs after you eat. How is it possible?

TWO HOURS!?!?! I would die. Honestly. I absolutely cannot even make it through a meal without sipping about 6-8 oz Water. I feel like I'm going to fall over dead from not being able to drink. Quite seriously, I would much rather never eat again if I cannot drink with meals. ... Of course my doc says no no no drinking for 15 mins before, and 30 after... I talked to the NP and told her its impossible. I cannot do it. (even thinking about it now I think I need a gallon of water! Haha!)

fills...Wow, I am still waiting for my first fill! I hope to at least lose 1-2 lbs between fills!

mv Your kids seem very busy and I know how stressful that can be! I have two boys( both grown however I don't beleive they ever mature!) and two teen girls The drama queens can get on your last nerve! But I don't have a child with special needs. My brother has downs and i know that it takes a lot of energy. Hang in there and try not to go to the food. if you have to eat, eat fruit or frozen fudgsicle or something?

bcrazy my nurse said to stay away from Protein bars and Cereal bars. She said they are high in sugar and calories. But I am sure in moderation all is good.

jj I agree, 2 hours seems like a very long time. check back with your doc. I heard one person on here say her doc said she can drink with meals? I am not sure I agree, but 1/2 -1 hour is probably good.

Last night I was eating a soft tortilla( fat free and small) with refried Beans spread on and chopped fajita chicken and vegies, and my dh says, " are you going to eat all that!" I was mad. I told him that it is 1 and not that much. I was a bit mad, because of the way he said it, anyone having issues with others watching your food intake? but an hour later he asks me if I want ice cream as he is scooping his monster bowl! crazy!

Suzzzie, I think you're going to have to conquer that drinking with meals monster. One thing I read in another thread where someone who was having significant difficulty with not drinking during meals said their doc suggested they put a glass filled with ice CUBES (crushed ice melts too quickly) by their plate and whatever melts in the glass they can drink.

I agree it's tough, and I occasionally take little sips, but I do notice the difference after a meal where I drank with it and one where I didn't, I am fuller longer when I don't drink.

Though if you are losing well and happy with your progress, that's all that counts!

Last night I was eating a soft tortilla( fat free and small) with refried Beans spread on and chopped fajita chicken and vegies, and my dh says, " are you going to eat all that!" I was mad. I told him that it is 1 and not that much. I was a bit mad, because of the way he said it, anyone having issues with others watching your food intake? but an hour later he asks me if I want ice cream as he is scooping his monster bowl! crazy!

Java...he's playing "good cop/bad cop" and we both know the ice cream cop is BAD! teeheehee. Ask him politely not to be your food police the next time he criticizes what you're eating!

Speaking of food....I'm gonna jerk my pork chop, Nina! Hugs!

---Toni

some wrote about constipation....I spoke with my patient educator yesterday and she suggested Benifiber....She said that you could sprinkle it on your food for more Fiber. I haven't tried it yet.Has anyone?

Suzzzie, I think you're going to have to conquer that drinking with meals monster. One thing I read in another thread where someone who was having significant difficulty with not drinking during meals said their doc suggested they put a glass filled with ice CUBES (crushed ice melts too quickly) by their plate and whatever melts in the glass they can drink.

I agree it's tough, and I occasionally take little sips, but I do notice the difference after a meal where I drank with it and one where I didn't, I am fuller longer when I don't drink.

Though if you are losing well and happy with your progress, that's all that counts!

OK, It's hard to explain to those of you who drink very little Water. I have ALWAYS been a huge water drinker. If I go out to dinner (pre-band) I would drink 3-5 glasses of water. Now I drink about 1/2 glass. My NP says that is great that I have cut back that much, but does still push me to avoid drinking.

I'm always thirsty. I was tested for diabetes insipidus a long time ago, Lol. I'm normal, just thirsty. My first fill is tomorrow, so I'll talk to the NP again... maybe she has more suggestions. But ice water is one of my weaknesses.

(My granny used to be afraid I would get water toxicity cause I drink so much. Nope, I'm FINE!)

I have a friend (naturally beautifully thin, but very supportive) and we were discussing her birthday which is tomorrow. We wanted to go to dinner at one of her favorite places, but since I'm getting my first fill tomorrow we went yesterday. Anyway, She has a coupon for a free ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery, but didn't want to use it tomorror cause I'd be with her (we're going to see a movie with other friends) I told her to GO! Lol. I would get a smoothie or water (haha. there I go with water again!) but seriously, I would be fine with going there with her. She gets all 'policey' on me and it makes me mad. She is in medical school and likes to tell me what I can and can't do/eat now that I'm banded. Its irritating. Even though our friends and families mean well, its still frustrating to hear it constantly.

some wrote about constipation....I spoke with my patient educator yesterday and she suggested Benifiber....She said that you could sprinkle it on your food for more fiber. I haven't tried it yet.Has anyone?

I'm going to try that next week (when I get paid again.) A friend of mine said it works wonders!!