Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I had my Surgery on 27th of March. And was just wondering If I would be able to drink and smoke, on the 15th of next month. I have read you can get stomach issues from doing so, but I wasn't sure how long you have to wait before doing these things again. Please note, I'm only a social drinker, and smoker and if I cannot do so there is know issues but would be cool if I can by that point.

Also, is there any drinks people recommend besides Water? to help mix it up abit and some ways, to drink the 1.5 - 2L of water a day, as I'm struggling very much so with it. And can only seem to drink just over 1L of water a day. And have been waking up with headaches sometimes. But they seem to be getting better.

regards,

James

I am not a smoker, but from what I've read that is a no-no - forever...

as far as drinking - my doctor says nothing for 6 months, The alcohol will go straight to your head--one drink and a lot of people feel as though they have had 5.

I would avoid both at that point. Youy stomach incision will be barely healed at that point and the alcohol can be very detrimental to your new, healing stomach, and cigarettes actually impede healing. So the reasons to avoid so soon out are really to avoid leaks and ulcers rather than the usual "empty calories/not good for you" reasons. I had my first wine at 3 1/2 months out and it really didn't affect me at all. But, if you really feel like indulging on the 15, I would maybe experiment in the safety of your own home beforehand to make sure the alcohol or cigarettes don't make you hurl or something. ;)

As for non-Water things to drink, I used Mio and Dasani flavor drops, drink dilute organic juices, Propel Zero, Sobe Lifewater, K2O, and Vitamin Water. And of course lots of Protein drinks.

If you have had this surgery to get healthy, why would you want to go back to drinking and smoking? Why would you jeopardize your lifespan that may have just been lengthened with surgery? As one who has seen what liquor and smoking has done to so many, I hope you re-think this. If you do it for "social" reasons, you can stop. I wish you the very best and I hope you can put all your effort and energy to changing your lifestyle completely!!!!!

If you have had this surgery to get healthy, why would you want to go back to drinking and smoking? Why would you jeopardize your lifespan that may have just been lengthened with surgery? As one who has seen what liquor and smoking has done to so many, I hope you re-think this. If you do it for "social" reasons, you can stop. I wish you the very best and I hope you can put all your effort and energy to changing your lifestyle completely!!!!!

Thank you all for the help! and maybe you did not read my question properly. I'm a social smoker. I mainly do it when I'm drinking which is never. It's not something I'm planning on doing but when I drink I sometimes do smoke. So just wanted to know if it will be ok or not. It's a very special occasion as my brother inlaw is getting married and it will be his bucks night.

I only ask because one of my friends, had it done about 1 year ago and was smoking 1 week out of surgery. Which is ridiculous my main concern isn't if smoking is good or bad for me which it is, it was more would I have to go to hospital if I did smoke, next month on the 15. Is all :) but thanks for the concern.

If anyone has any tips, or whatever. Please inform me of some. On a side note since my surgery I've lost about 25KG which is about 55 pounds. :>

regards,

James

I would just add that at around 6-7 weeks pis top I had my first beer, wasn't a good move as I continued after that. The result being that the bubble expanded in my sleeve and stretched my sleeve, now I have surgery coming up on the 29th May for what is called an Omega loop bypass, which is a mini bypass including a resleeve, I would seriously urge anyone to stay away from alcohol, I learnt the hard way. As for smoking, we all know the down side, but remember it hits your lungs not your sleeve

Was supposed to say post op not pls top lol

O damn I don't want that happening. But I was planning on smoking, not so much drinking as I was staying away from fizzy drinks. And by smoking I mean Weed not so much durries. BUt thanks for your input mate.

I smoke cigars and have since five days after surgery. I've had no issues and my Dr. Knows. I don't drink and since going out to eat is not nearly as satisfying, it's what I have left.

In regards to fluids I drink G2 which is the low sugar/low cal Gatorade and I am really enjoying it. I can't do crystal light anymore as it tastes too sweet. Good luck!

I do rum/vodka -water- and crystal light/Dasani/any Water flavor drops! Delicious and less calories!! ???? Oh and I was told 6-8 weeks out was fine in moderate consumption!

Thank you all for your input. When am I able to drink carbonated drinks again?