Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No carbonation ever again?

So, Im just starting my journey but I am already trying to wrap my brain around what my new life will be like. I currently have a love/hate relationship with Diet Dr Pepper (or regular, even) and while Im totally on board with giving it up (been wanting to for a while).. the word NEVER doesnt sit well with me. What exactly does that mean? Like, not EVER in my life may I taste a carbonated drink again because it will cause my to explode? lol or what? I totally get the "its not good for you" or "it'll make you feel too full so you wont want to eat" .. I get all that. But like I said, I hate the word "never."

And Alcohol... thats another one I've been told to stay away from. Is that forever, too? I dont drink much at all... literally one or two drink a month at a social gathering.. but is that gone now too?

Enlighten me, please

I was told at my pre-op class that after you completely heal, you can have those drinks again, but it will be maybe 2 a week at the most. They can just cause ulcers so that's why they want you to stay away.

My surgeon said to wait one year for all of those things. I have no urges for anything carbonated since surgery. In fact the thought of carbonated beverages is a real turn off. I dont think that anything is off the table for ever. They do prefer you not use alcohol or sodas due to empty calories and the damages they can do to your stomach.

Enlighten me

@@Loristi

Sounds like you are pre-op???

saying on the board - "one thing we have in common is that we're all different" :)

docs and NUTS have different rules about things

some of "them" say no coffee - "never, ever" :o

others say after a certain time period you can have alittle coffee

some say no alcohol for 6 months

others say.............

wait 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days, 6 minutes etc - ;) ..

soda - some/many say NO, NO, NO

others say .................

no straws, others say its ok

sex - some might say wait til you feel ok, then take it slowly, easy for awhile (no crazy acrobats!) ;)

other docs might say NO NO NO to sex forever!!!! :o

gotcha!!!! :lol:

so..........the answer to your question (oh no, what was your question again :wacko: LOL)

alcohol - soda - never say never!!!! unless doc says so

i drink coffee, no alcohol, straws or soda/carbonation for this grammy ;)

listen to your NUT and surgeon ALWAYS like they were amongst the highest power!!! ;)

good luck with surgery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

My surgeon, like many others, encourages patients to give up carbonation because it actually stretches the pouch and can essentially stretch you to a large capacity 'stomach' again!

I am also a HUGE addict, Mountain Dew is my drug of choice. I have been told from several friends who are post-op that many times you lose your tastes for many foods post-op and don't crave them anymore. I have one friend who is 10 years out and she told me she started with diet Slurpee's about 10 months post-op and had a couple a week for a few years before she went to pop. I am actually hopeful that I will lose my addiction all together and pop won't be an issue!

my Surgeon says no carbonation ever. No straws, no gum. the reasoning is that carbonation can lead to eroding the band and cause gas. Fortunately I was never a big soda drinker prior to the band so I don't care about not drinking them. I drink Wyler's peach tea, lemonade and Water .

I'm on board with no sodas, too. I used to drink diet ginger ale like it was nobody's business, and I haven't really craved it post-op. My surgeon said the occasional beer would be OK, but advised to wait a few months. I turn 50 in July, so I'm going to Celebrate with one nice craft beer. :)

Be well…

I was told no carbonation ever. No straws, no drinking with meals. I have had a sip of pop on a couple of occasions, but don't drink it as a rule. I also use a straw for smoothies, and can't figure out for the life of me why I can't use on, though the rationale is that it introduces air. I try to follow the rules best I can.

No Carbonation since March 2012. Surgeon advised no more as it could cause problems such as stretched or eroded band. I was a severe diet pepsi addict but I don't miss it all now. Way I see it nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Edited by Jim1967

My friend drinks pop all the time. She had WLS 5 years ago, and has since gained 40 pounds. I am planning on being a little more disciplined than her.

I drank Cokes for 40 years. When weight became too much of an issue I switched over to Diet Cokes; which I drank for another 10 more years. Usually around 6 Cokes a day. I still gained weight. As I entered my 6 month supervised exercise weight loss program which was a prerequisite for the operation, I went cold turkey and gave up all carbonated beverages and caffeine. On that change alone, I lost 20 pounds. It is now 6 months (pre-op) + 11 months (post-op) and I have not had any carbonated beverages since then, and I don't even miss them. I went through a rough week or two after I went cold turkey. I experienced severe joint pain. But that went away. I suspect why this produced weight loss is due to the carbonation. As the small carbon bubbles explode in your stomach they microscopically increase the size of the stomach which in turn allows you to eat more food which in turn is responsible for weight gain.

not sure which type of surgery you have chosen Loristi, but after reading alot on here most doctors prefer we don't drink carbonated beverages. I have had 2 mini's Pepsi Max's that didn't cause any problem, but I iced them down alot and stirred the bubbles out of them...so don't know if that helped. but all I can say is that I just don't have the craving any longer...I drink coffee and ice tea but use splenda for my tea and sugar free powder Creamer for my coffee. outside of a Protein Shake (my snack in the afternoons) I drink Water and plenty of it...just don't care for anything else any longer. I think that happens to all of us-but I would do whatever my doctor instructed us to do...mine said as tolerated...and let them set for a long while...can't stand flat soda so I just have done without and I haven't had an issue without it...LOLRH. hang in there you'll do just fine-we have your back!!!! :lol:

ok me personally I do enjoy a soda or a beer once in awhile but I get a straw and blow bubbles in the said drink with makes it a bit flat

I don't have a problem with diet soda for the most part. My doctor said just to make sure it's poured over ice and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. I mainly drink Water and unsweet tea but when I have a craving for a diet coke I will have one. Sometimes I do get gas pains but it's totally worth it to me :) I also haven't had issues with alcohol but I very rarely drink it now because it's full of empty calories.

From what I read, I think perhaps the problem isn't truely not being able to have carbination but more of the mental thing in regards to the word NEVER, like a lose of control thing?? Never is such a negative word, however, there are some things we need to eliminate from our new way of life, so instead of thinking of it as never, or someone else controlling your lifestyle think of it as gaining control over not so great habits for a healthier new you:-) Alot of these things we struggle with are strictly mental no one likes to be told what we can and can't do, I mean afterall if is our life, so with that said you have to feel that YOU'RE the one who made the decision to NEVER have carbination again:-)