Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced any Hair loss. My surgeon told me it is very possible. I am just curious what to expect. A little bit of hair or a lot? Will I need to get a wig? How long until it grows back? My surgery is May 1 & I want to be ready.

My friends who are that far out have all had some Hair loss but it wasn't so much that anyone else could even tell. I have very thick hair and tend to have a lot come out in the shower anyway but I started taking hair, skin, and nail Vitamins (aka biotin) about 8 weeks ago and I've not had nearly as much shedding so in hoping that helps with the hair loss when I get to that point.

I'm six months post op, and i started losing hair three months ago. To me , it seems like a lot. Some people notice, some dont. I've been taking Biotin since before my surgery and using nioxin products. Nothing seems to help, but maybe it would be worse if i didnt? Doc said it should stop soon. I hope so!

I had massive hair loss. I took all my meds and Vitamins. The good news is I have a lot of baby hairs too that's replacing the ones that are lost. Your food intake feeds your brain and heart first. Then your other organs. Your skin, hair and nails are last to get nutrients. So you may get skin problems and weak nails. Make sure you take all your medications and Vitamins. It will make it better if it happens. I also take Biotin 3x's a day. I hope this helps you. Congratulations on your new journey!

I am 11 months post op and have not noticed any hair loss. I understand that when you hit rock bottom and then loss more weight, Hair loss may occur. I hit bottom at 6 months. I have been taking Juvenon for six or seven years now. I continued this after surgery. From my perspective one of the side features of this supplement is that it appears to halt hair loss. I have asthma and this supplement helped me breathe easier. That was the main reason why I continue to use it.

My surgeon (Dr. Scott, My New Self Bariatrics Des Peres Hospital, St. Louis) said that hair reflects nutrition 3 months in the past. So Hair loss starting at the 3 month post surgery is on schedule. I am now 7 months post surgery and I have hair starting to regrow. Eat more protein!!!!! Take Biotin (a B vitamin). I bought 2 wigs and several hair pieces. I wear pieces and wear my hair up....beautician advice was to just wait it out for the regrowth. Of all the issues, this is workable and temporary. EAT MORE Protein

Unless your hair is very thin now you will not need a wig. I loss hair and at the time it seemed like a lot, but it actually was not noticeable to anyone but me. Don't worry it didn't last long. One thing I did was try to go as long as possible without washing my hair. I usually washed it every day and during the time it was falling out I washed it every other day.

Also, keep in mind that Biotin helps with new Hair growth. It won't keep your hair from falling out unfortunately.

Also, keep in mind that Biotin helps with new Hair growth. It won't keep your hair from falling out unfortunately.

I wonder if they make a liquid biotin..or is the pill small enough to take. I worry about Hair loss because I have a mild form of alopecia ,but I'm ok with wearing a wig if it comes to that.

Ok awesome :)

Also, keep in mind that Biotin helps with new hair growth. It won't keep your hair from falling out unfortunately.

I wonder if they make a liquid biotin..or is the pill small enough to take. I worry about Hair loss because I have a mild form of alopecia ,but I'm ok with wearing a wig if it comes to that.

I got liquid Biotin at Walgreens. SAMs had easy to swallow pills as well that tasted pretty good