Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry all day

I have been hungry all day yesterday and today. I am 6wks post surgery. I have already had almost 600 calories today and it is only 5pm. What the heck? At lunch I had almost a whole cup of salad with cheese and ham. Had a cheese stick and then some almonds. My stomach is still grumbling and I feel empty. This is not good.

I have been hungry all day yesterday and today. I am 6wks post surgery. I have already had almost 600 calories today and it is only 5pm. What the heck? At lunch I had almost a whole cup of salad with cheese and ham. Had a cheese stick and then some almonds. My stomach is still grumbling and I feel empty. This is not good.

Drink something warm. I drink sugar free hot cocoa with dab of whip. 35 calories. Helps with hunger.

Thanks! I will try that.

Are you drinking before during or after you eat? I haven't been sleeved yet..April 23rd.. But my doc said it's going to be important not to drink 30 min before and 1 hour after I eat!! This will give my stomach time to tell my brain I'm full and will help me to stay feeling full longer! : ) I do this now pre op and have already lost 20 lbs just doing that and cutting out soda!

Hi, I am 21 days post-op and I too have "HUNGER". I have been eating 5 -6 small meals per day (including 2 snacks). After each meal I set a timer for 30 minutes, today I am increasing the timer to 45 minutes, to see if I am drinking too soon. When I eat and I get the sense of fullness, I stop eating, yet I still feel hungry. Need food recommendations that will satisfy my hunger, before the feeling of fullness. Good luck to all....Si

OMG! The same thing is happening to me. I'm only 4 weeks out of surgery and I feel hungry all the time.

What worries me to death is the fact that I can easily consume 700-800 calories per day and (as I said) I'm only 4 weeks out. It shouldn't be this easy for me to eat so much. :-(. I'm really freaking out.

I too am 4 wks post-op, and I have still not found my "Eating Grove", I eat Proteins first and get full after a few oz., I wait 45 mins before drinking Water, yet my hunger returns way before the three hour mark. My Doc and Nutritionist recommend fluids to keep me full. I am going to try to maximize my Protein intake......... any help would be appreciated......Regards....Si

Try adding in a little healthy fat to your meals you guys. A little full fat yogurt, full fat cheese/cottage cheese, avocado, nuts etc.

It will help you to feel satisfied and not hungry. Once I added them in, I could easily go several hours without eating. I regularly go 4-5 hours between meals now..which I could never do until I added in the healthy fats at each meal.

Its just your body wanting some more nutrients, thats all.

I get really snacky right around my monthly.... I find that drinking a lot of Water helps too!!

Stupid double-post

Edited by elfnow

I am 4 weeks postOP and find that I feel hungry all day. About 45 minutes after I eat it seems my stomach bottoms out and I am hungry again. I thought it was the drinking but I set a timer and I still am hungry. Thanks Gomekast! I will try adding some healthy fats, what you said makes sense.

The key to long term weight loss is having that feeling of fullness for as long as possible. My program allowed for three meals a day and two light Snacks, even from the beginning. Dense Proteins are very helpful in getting the full feeling. Even today, 13 weeks out, I can only eat about 4 ounces of Protein at a meal. snacks are a chance to get additional protein, add healthy fats and some carbs(50-60 per day). I was not allowed to add vegetables until week 8. Usually I am able to go 4+ hours between meals which makes it easier to plan meals, drinking Water, etc. I have been consistently warned by professionals about eating too soon or " grazing on food". If you do that you will never be full and constantly searching for food. I would also experiment with the amount of protein you are eating early in the day. I usually start each day with a homemade Protein Shake that has 30-35 grams of protein. That usually keeps me going until a late morning snack

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and I still experience hunger just as much as I did pre-op. Very frustrating.

I am 2 weeks post op and never lost my hunger. I feel kinda cheated lol

I am 9 months out. I also had hunger from very beggining. I would also eat 6 small meals. I now eat 3 meals and a couple of healthy Snacks in between. I have always had hunger and still do. Now the differance is the second I put a couple of bites in I'm full! I too was worried about this in the beggining but as time went on I realized that some people have the hunger and some don't. I have to say now I am glad because it has trained me to deal with it. I have others in my support groups that did not have hunger for a year and then it kicked in. They have a very hard time now dealing with it.

I am happy i have had the time to learn about true hunger and also the head hunger. As time goes on this will be something you will understand. Also using hot liquid has always helped me to stay satisfied. I still drink sugar free hot cocoa with whip once a day. Also Sugar free hot cidar. they really help to keep you satisfied!