Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My official process started in December, 3 months ago. There has been constant miscommunication between my doctors/insurance (sorta the same people) and the appeals department. My first request was denied. I appealed then sent in a second request, under the advice of the Bariatric nurse. Anyway long story short, I am told that I am less then a week away from finding out if this second approval is denied or not.

I'm going crazy! I literally feel like barfing all the time. I am constantly remembering my childhood and being ups eased with the doctor shows that showed liposuction. I remember drawing dotted lines all over my body at 10 years old and nearing 200 pounds. I remember looking at photos of me when I was a healthy toddler. I am younger then maybe 6, and I'm at a healthy weight for the last time in my life. I have always loved food, so being anorexic never crossed my mind. And actually barging hurt to much to make a habit out of. It wasn't until late middle school that someone pointed out that I'm getting bigger. In anger, I reply with something along the lines of but I'm barely eating anything! This was their point. Damn, no wonder why I feel so crapy.

About 5 years ago, I had started to see a that impost for all my internal body issues. Around the same time a friend of mine (who was about the same size as me) told me that she was going to fly down to Mexico and have this WLS that I had never heard of at the time. I had known about the band and bypass but was unaware of the sleeve. I knew they the first two where not an option for me. I was immediately interested in this sleeve she was talking about, and most deffinetly put off with her decision to go to Mexico. But hey, do what you gotta do.

So I went back to my therapist and we started to explore every weight loss option out there, after 4 years of exhausting every diet known to man. I got severely depressed. I ended up homeless with no job, and nearing 330lb. Keep inundated that after puberty, I am only 5'4". I was ready to end everything. I called my mom for help. She picked me up, and saved my life that night.

I then reconnected with my friend who is a couple years post op now over Facebook. She looks completely different! I had forgotten about the sleeve as an option. And now after some legal changes, I am on my mothers health insurance that might pay for surgery.

So in December of 2013 I decided to use my last option. I had started the proses with my doctors and told a few of my closest friends (3 total) including my boyfriend. Everyone but my boyfriend was being understanding and supportive. He an I have only known each other for a short time, an only have been dating for almost 8 months. So unlike my other friends he never got to watch me struggle with my weight.

On Boxing Day (yes my family is Canadian) later in the evening, we all are hanging out digesting our deserts, and I decided to tell my family about my decision on WLS. I was so nourvus. It was harder then coming out as bi, or kinky, or poly, all combined! The room fell silent for a moment. And my entire family accepted me with open arms. I cried in relief.

Today, my entire family, many I my friends and any others that happen to find out, all are supportive of my choices. Some are more supportive then others, and it has taken a few people like my boyfriend to warm up to the idea, but they have. Possibly less on the principal of their own and more on the principal of if you can't beat them, join them idea. Whatever the reason I'm happy to have my support network.

So as I start my own preop diet, I sit and wait for Wednesday to roll around so I can call my doctor and get an answer from them. Hopefully by then they will have one and I won't have to wait until Friday or even Monday of the fallowing week.

My Bariatric story is only barely started. As I can feel things start to look up from here, I can only expect the worst. I have decided that telling people my story is only helping me become stronger, despite any negative reactions I get. The more I tell people the more I validate why this is important to me. In the sense that I do not have to feel like hiding something BAD from the world. Also, telling people helps me weed out my "supportive" friends, on top of giving them an opportunity to learn more about something they don't approve of.

Being "out" about my journey is deffinetly hard and sucks when then people are trying to micromanage my food intake. But I'm overall a strong enough person to tell them to back off.

I am ready for this change into life! I am ready to feel like I have real control over my weight. I am excited to be the first healthy person into biological family. I am excited to be able to stand, sit, or lay down and be able to see my toes past my belly. I'm excited about being proud of my belly. And of course not having so much anxiety around shopping for new outfits. Plus new outfits will be overall cheaper! Less fabric = less $$!

Until next time. :) thank you all for reading and keeping me motivated to think positive!

Dylan.

I hope beyond hope that you are approved. You seem to be doing the right thing by going through therapy and involving your friends and family. Good luck and post on Wednesday to let us know that you are approved.

Sounds like you are taking the right steps to get in the right place mentally as well as physically. If your mind is strong and focused on the goal, the WLS will be just the tool you need to succeed long term. Thinking positive thoughts for you to get approved and continue your journey.

Wishing you success in your appeal! Please post and let us know if(WHEN) you're approved.

Woohoo!! Thanks for your words of encouragement!! I am approved! Although nothing really happens until about 2 months from now. Tomorrow I will talk with the doctors and get an idea of what to expect before surgery! Omg!!!

Yay!! So happy for you!!

Woohoo!! Thanks for your words of encouragement!! I am approved! Although nothing really happens until about 2 months from now. Tomorrow I will talk with the doctors and get an idea of what to expect before surgery! Omg!!!

Congrats!

@@DylanRae!!!

I know today is your big day and you are going in soon! Good Luck and the Seattle crew is thinking and praying for your very uneventful procedure and recovery!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing! Hang in there. The approval will come!

Thanks! I'm still pretty drowsy.. But overall have had a by the book procedure! I truly understand the pain of the gas now. Agreed with others when they share that the insidious cuts where nothing in comparison to the left over gas pain...

Biggest surprise is the constant hiccups! Wow now that is painful! And there is nothing the docs can really do about it either. I have been getting in all my Water, and breathing excersize walking around is getting better and betters

I should be going home sometime tomorrow.

Dylan

Yay, @@DylanRae! I'm glad you made it through and are recovering!

Damn it! I had a big update, big as in long! And then I got an interruption on my phone and the entire thing disappeared ???? I will update later! :(