Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Pain Control? IV Tylenol? Not convinced.

I had IV tylenol and it was great! Kept the pain away with none of the nausea and itching I usually get with narcotics (Dilaudid, Morphine and Demerol all make me sick)

Pain pump in hospital was all I needed. Never used the hydrocodone at home. I had very little pain.

I got something IV in the hospital but went home 15 hours after surgery and never had any pain. They gave us a sublingual NSAID to take for 4 days but I only took it for 3 days. Probably didn't even need it, but wanted the anti inflammatory affects to reduce internal swelling.

I had IV Tylenol and had no pain. I'm an RN and our facility has been using it for a few years. Good stuff. And it doesn't slow you bowels down.

Still pre op, but I know when I had my gallbladder out they had me on diluaded PRN.... I'm getting my VSG at the same hospital so I am hoping for something similar. I wasn't in severe pain, but it def took the edge off and helped me feel well enough to get up and move around, as well as allowing me to sleep when I wanted to. I will def be asking my surgeon about this at my pre op appt on Monday!!!

I got an iv of tylenol but also the controlled by me medication by pushing a button. I just didnt get a name for it. I was ok with or without it i didnt refuse to get it. The only thing i didnt take was medication for the nausea

I had IV Delotid(sp?) made me ILL, but they backed it with some phenergan the first night and it knocked me OUT, no pain and got an ok nights sleep...next day the tried the Delotid again once and I was sick again so more phenergan, after that I asked for something easier in me, they gave me Roxycet orally...I took it a couple days and then was on liquid Tylenol if needed...

IV Tylenol is effective but this should be a schedule med for a few dose and you should also have a PRN (as needed) med for pain usually narcotic. I've never seen IV Tylenol used as a PRN.

I had anti-nausea meds (multiple times) and didn't ask for any pain meds after the first dose when I woke up in my room. I'd rather be in terrible pain than be nauseous, so for me, that was my focus.

They called me a trooper for not wanting it, but I really didn't have a lot of pain, but everyone is different in their tolerances. Just know that the staff will cater to how YOU feel and what works/doesn't work for you. :)

I had morphine the first day, but then switched to Tylenol and never took any of the pain drugs sent home with me. Morphine, codeine, vicodine etc. will all give you horrible Constipation. The pain of that after surgery is way worse IMHO. Every body is different, but you should know how the drugs affect you, and at least you will be prewarned. PS I'm a big baby too.

Post surgery I was hooked up to a fentanyl (sp?) self administered pump for pain management. It would knock me out with every dose but did not help the pain if I was awake. My nurse suggested IV Tylenol. She said it costs a fortune but works really well. She was sooo right. Soon after my IV started I felt well enough to get up and walk and walk and walk, use the restroom, visit with family. I owe her a bunch for my much improved recovery.

I had IV tylenol and it was great! Kept the pain away with none of the nausea and itching I usually get with narcotics (Dilaudid, Morphine and Demerol all make me sick)

OMG! Finally someone who had it! I am so happy to hear that! Thanks for your feedback. T-minus 4 days til I go under. :D

I'm still pre-op (Feb 25th date), but when I had a c-section I was given a morphine pump. It was great, I'd just give it a few squeezes before I had to get up and walk, and I was feeling good. When I asked them how long before they removed my IV, they said as soon as you stop using the pump they will take it out. I immediately stopped, and had no problems. I can't remember having much pain at all. I'm hoping it goes that well this time too.

I think they gave me Tramadol when I was in the hospital, but because I was up and walking around by 6 hours after surgery, and able to take in the chicken broth and crystal light they gave me, it wasn't for long, and they even discontinued the IV fluids. (They got tired of having to disconnect it every time I wanted to go walking.)

I didn't even fill the prescription they gave me for pain meds at home, and never took anything, I was walking around at my parents' house from the minute I got there, went shopping with my mom 2 days later, and drove myself home (over an hour) on the 3rd day. Then it was back to taking care of 3 horses and 3 dogs like normal!